ABS lamp on all time

Bike
ST1300A 2007
I have a 2007 ST1300. Bought it 5 moths ago. Have been riding 930 miles (1500km) without problems.

The brake fluid has been changed by a shop 2 months ago.

Yesterday when i started the bike it managed to have the wrong gear in and it stopped immediately.
When i started it again and started to go the ABS lamp never went out as it usually does. Rode for a while and made short stops and turning of the ignition. ABS lamp still lights up and is lit all the time when i drive.

I followed this tip but i dont get any error code. The lamp is always lit. Even if i take out the fuses.
http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/view/ST13/ABSQuickGuide

The ABS rings on the wheels has no damage and i cleaned the sensors. The gap from sensor to ring is also ok.

I have measured the front and rear sensor with an ohm-meter, both have 1006 ohms in one direction and endless resistance in the other.

Could it be air in the brake fluid? Or is it some fault with the controller, since i dont get any error codes and the lamp is lit all the time it might be this?

Is there anything else to check?

Confused rider.......:confused:

OP
OP
forth
Bike
ST1300A 2007
I have disconnected the battery and both "boxes" at the back. Cleaned the bike for an hour then reconnected everything. Same problem. ABS light is still lit all the time i ride.

Have looked at ebay and is seems like i can buy an ABS module for about 1000 swedish kronor. (110USD)
One of the nice feature of the ST1300, many bikes sold, easy to find spare parts.

I dont know any more to test so maybe thats the next step.

OP
OP
forth
Bike
ST1300A 2007
Thanks!

No, if i remove the fuses it should go off......but it stil is lit. Very strange. Maybe i should try to brake "hard" and see if the ABS is working. It could end in disaster though. :eek:4:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Are you pulling the A fuse or just H and M?

If you're pulling A and the light stays on, you may have an electrical problem.

--Mark

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Now that I have the system diagram and a box of crayons in front of me (I was on a bus when I made my last post)...

abs.jpg

The ABS indicator is part of the meter panel, which is fed by Fuse B (green line). Because of the way it's wired, the light's default state is on. Even if you were to remove the ABS computer from the bike and turn on the ignition, the ABS light would still go on, indicating that you have no ABS. Pulling fuse B will make the ABS light go off and take the rest of the instrument panel with it. Not very helpful. :)

The ABS computer gets its power through fuse A (red line). When it wants to turn the ABS indicator off, it grounds the blue/yellow wire (higlighted in blue), providing a better path to ground than the LED.

I suspect your ABS computer isn't running, and that's why you're not getting any diagnostics out of it. Pull and check fuse A. If it's blown, grab a couple of spares and replace it. If it blows again, you've got a short somewhere.

If the fuse is good, disconnect the computer and see see if you get 12V between the red/brown and green/orange wires on the connector. If you don't, you have a wiring problem. If you do, the ABS computer's had it.

Hope that helps.

--Mark

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've heard reports of the large harness plug on the back of the instrument panel working loose before. I wonder if that could cause this problem?

OP
OP
forth
Bike
ST1300A 2007
Thank you all for your information. It is very helpful.

Striped the bike down completly. Checking every connector. pulling them out and press them in again.
Checked every fuse there is on the bike.

The connector to the panel is not the problem, but it might have been if i have not checked it. The rubber around the two connectors were loose so thats fixed now.
Spiders were building net :D around the cables. 20160802_094548-1k768.jpg

Put my fingers on the motors on the modulators when i turned the ignition. Both where making a short movement so i think they work.
Made a short run and pressed the rear brake to the max and it did not "pump" the brakes. Left a strip of black rubber on the street:headbang:.
The ABS is definitly not working so the lamp tells the truth.

I have ordered used ABS module and one rear and one front sensor from Ebay. Hopefully it will solve my problem or at least make the finding of the fault a bit easier.
The parts will arrive on the 10:th of august so i vill go and drink beer instead of riding my bike.

OP
OP
forth
Bike
ST1300A 2007
Hmmm...

The replacement ABS unit has not yet arrived. It is stuck in North Carolina says USPS.
I am going on a bike-cortege on a funeral this week so i had to reassemble the bike despite not have tested with replacement parts on the ABS.
Now it works! The ABS lamp goes out as before after a short while. Strange.

There where some information on the ABS unit being picky about the voltage. I am using a LIFEPO battery instead. Could it be the reason?

Top Bottom