1993 ST1100 Battery good, but no juice.

Clark Kent

No Kryptonite Please
Hi and help, please.

1993 ST1100 with one year old battery. Last run 5 weeks ago. (been sitting 5 weeks). Installed batter after winter storage. It read 12.87. Started great and ran great. We rode 180 miles that day.

Parked it in garage.

Suited up and tried to start it today. Clock running fine. Turned the key to on and nothing. Clock went blank, no dash lights, no starter, horn, blinkers, etc.

Checked batter in bike and it reads, 10.60. Took it out of bike and it read 12.87, the exact reading 5 weeks ago.

I' assuming a short somewhere. (I'm in "no" mechanics land) so I'm kind of on my own with NO knowledge of electronics other than being able to read a Harbor Freight multi meter.

Any ideas?

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
I've seen a failure mode with batteries where they will indicate correct voltage but will not pass current. A load test should give you a go/no go result. A quick & dirty load test would be to connect a high draw device to the battery, such as a 12v headlight bulb. See if it energizes with expected brilliance. If there's anything like an Autozone or PepBoys close they can load test a battery, although an automotive load tester will indicate a weak motorcycle battery at any rate. What you'd be looking for is a "strong" weak indication when testing a motorcycle battery with an automotive load tester. I keep a Harbor Freight battery load tester in my tool collection to evaluate suspect batteries.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

OP
OP
Clark Kent

Clark Kent

No Kryptonite Please
Thank you Slmjim!

I just had the battery (which was still reading 12.87) load tested. It was dead as a door nail! Less than a year old. (but past the 3 mo. warranty!) naturally.

Anyway it's a quick fix. Thanks so much for your input. You were 110% right!

Give yourself a big star. (I owe you an adult beverage!)

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
You're welcome. The first time I saw that type of failure it took longer than I care to admit to find the true problem. I've seen a few like it since.

I'll forgive the adult reference this one time. I'm resisting growing up with every fiber of my being. The way I figure it, if I don't grow up I won't get old, 'cause when one gets old enough, well... pushin' up daisies.

Thanks for the cold beverage!

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Last edited:
Top Bottom