Anyone tried the G2 Throttle Tamer ?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yep, a few of us have it. Even had a group buy a few years back (ennded right before I signed on). But I did pick one up of off Amazon for a good price later.

Mounted it and I think it made a difference. But after many miles, I can't remember.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I have one on my 05 and the 09 I just bought did not, I can say for a fact that the 09 has more snatch in the lower rpm range than the 05.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I bought one for my '04 to reduce the thrashing that Cindy had to endure. If I remember correctly they offered a series of cams and by default I got the middle of the road. If I was to do it over again I would choose the most extreme cam .... or I would try the throttle tube mod on the original. If I am not mistaken there was an old thread on how how to mod the stock throttle tube to minimise the snatch.

found one here
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?101751-Throttle-Medic

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought one for my '04 to reduce the thrashing that Cindy had to endure. If I remember correctly they offered a series of cams and by default I got the middle of the road. If I was to do it over again I would choose the most extreme cam .... or I would try the throttle tube mod on the original. If I am not mistaken there was an old thread on how how to mod the stock throttle tube to minimise the snatch.

found one here
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?101751-Throttle-Medic
One problem I found with all five of my ST1300s, the factory setting for the throttle cable is a little sloppy. You have to get in under the airbox and tighten it up just a little. don't do too much or you're going to be reviving too high!

One problem I found with all five of my ST1300s, the factory setting for the throttle cable is a little sloppy. You have to get in under the airbox and tighten it up just a little. don't do too much or you're going to be reviving too high!
:plus1: I found the same and corrected the play. This improved the throttle control tremendously for me. I like the theory of the Throttle Tamer just haven't invested in it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I got one also and really like it. It's not a cure-all but it goes a long way in reducing the FI-induced lurching at small openings.

At first skeptical of it's effectiveness (especially for $80) Igofar let me ride his ST with the G2 and I was sold.

Because of the lower profile of the "cam" it requires more twist to get for the same speed as the stock throttle tube but I don't feel that at all. Just smoother low-speed control. Were I get get a new ST it would be my first farkle.

You can work on your ultra-fine motor skills for control or mod the OEM throttle tube or get a G2. My preference was for the path of least resistance and quickest return. I really like the G2.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Modifying the stock throttle tube DID work well for me, and continues to to this day. It was a 1 hour mod, and very worth it.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I just put one on my GSX1250FA a few weeks ago, as I was having a lot of trouble with jerkiness at very low speeds and small throttle openings. Around here we use a lot of fine control activities riding in the mountains.

It seems to have smoothed out the throttle response a lot. I was a little hesitant in investing that much, but I think it was worth it, and it's a really nice piece of work as well.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Modifying the stock throttle tube DID work well for me, and continues to to this day. It was a 1 hour mod, and very worth it.
I've searched the site and can't find the info on modifying the stock throttle tube. Can someone please point me to it?

I did a 400 mile ride in middle Tennessee last Saturday. Great ride, but I did have some problems with the snatchy throttle, especially on the super-curvy parts of SR-30 (awesome road! Very Dragon-esque).

I'm taking my new-to-me STeed to the Dragon & Skyway next month. This is my first fuel-injected bike. Clearly I need to practice my throttle technique a lot between now & then. And check the throttle cables for slack. But I want to investigate the stock throttle tube mod before the trip. There still might be a Throttle Tamer in my future, but more data is needed.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm sure you know there is a cable play adjustment at the handlebar as well. In theory if there isn't enough adjustment available at this end you can go to the throttle body end and take out more. The easy end had more than enough adjustment for me.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm sure you know there is a cable play adjustment at the handlebar as well. In theory if there isn't enough adjustment available at this end you can go to the throttle body end and take out more. The easy end had more than enough adjustment for me.
I'm well aware of it, I tried that but there was just too much slack as far as I was concerned. Besides, taking the aircleaner housing off the first time is always fun! ;)

Top Bottom