Dead in Ontario

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Went to ride home from work last night and bike started fine - moved it out of truck bay and went back in to get gear on. Came back out to start it up again and no dash lights no headlight no nothing except the aux power plug works. Brought my battery charger in today and it shows battery is full. Both main fuses checked and fine. Any ideas what might be going on before I have it towed to dealer ? I have no tools at work either other than bike tool kit.

Forgot - battery OEM about 5 years old but tendered with trickle charger when not riding

Thanks

Last edited:

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Open up the switch cover on the right side for the engine start and kill switch and check the cables there. I had the same issue on my CBR600 and turned out a cable there had broken loose from the solder. As soon as I touched the cable to the solder connection she started right up. I managed to solder it as a temporary fix and then replaced the switch as I wasn't confident in my solder skills.
Worth a try Hope this helps.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The first thing I would do is check both ends of each battery cable for looseness and corrosion.
The next thing is the battery. AGMs are known to fail without notice and a charger is not a good indicator. You need to do a load test. 5yrs is pushing it big time on a ST1300 battery.
If both of these check out, you have a more complicated issue. I agree that the starter switch is the next thing to look at.

OP
OP
Rodneypieon

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
The first thing I would do is check both ends of each battery cable for looseness and corrosion.
The next thing is the battery. AGMs are known to fail without notice and a charger is not a good indicator. You need to do a load test. 5yrs is pushing it big time on a ST1300 battery.
If both of these check out, you have a more complicated issue. I agree that the starter switch is the next thing to look at.
Thanks John Battery cables checked and cleaned, now I have the clock on AUX mode but still nothing on the ON position. Don't have tools for a load test but now I have time as my local dealer is 2 weeks backed up in their shop. To be truthful will have to google load test don't know where to start.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Take the battery out and take it to most any automotive shop. They can load test it on the bench.
If I had to bet, my money would be on the battery. I have had a couple fail without notice. Virtually same symptoms as yours. As said earlier, 5 yrs is pushing it.
First (and simplest) place to start looking IMO.

Rod

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks John Battery cables checked and cleaned, now I have the clock on AUX mode but still nothing on the ON position. Don't have tools for a load test but now I have time as my local dealer is 2 weeks backed up in their shop. To be truthful will have to google load test don't know where to start.
Had batteries failing just like you describe. Was still able to jump start though. What about you?

OP
OP
Rodneypieon

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
No tools at work, haven't been able to check the kill switch yet. Now I know how to load test the battery though ! I'll start there and then try the other suggestions, thank you everyone !

Byron

STOC #
No tools at work, haven't been able to check the kill switch yet. Now I know how to load test the battery though ! I'll start there and then try the other suggestions, thank you everyone !
No tools required, just make sure the kill switch (red one) is in the run position. Since the bike was running and suddenly wouldn't start a short time later, the kill switch gets bumped without realizing it.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I don't think that the kill switch is a potential cause, because the OP stated in the first post that the dash lights & headlight did not operate. Those items will operate normally even if the kill switch is in the off position.

Michael

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Rod, I'm in Muskoka right now, will be home Friday afternoon.... I'll bring some tools, and trailer in case we need to bring it to my shop where we can dig into it further if necessary.... how about the common ground under the tank.... dunno, just fishing.....

OP
OP
Rodneypieon

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Well the verdict is in. Took battery to local shop for free load test -battery pooched. New one in since I am impatient and the bike is running.
Thanks again for all the help. My last gel pack hinted it was going but this one went from fine to zero in one turn of the key.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I have had that happen a couple of times especially in this heat ,most annoying and inconvenient . Glad you have the problem solved .

STOC #
Well the verdict is in. Took battery to local shop for free load test -battery pooched. New one in since I am impatient and the bike is running.
Thanks again for all the help. My last gel pack hinted it was going but this one went from fine to zero in one turn of the key.
Good to hear you got things sorted out. Now get out there and pick up the Ontario TAG and A to Z photos!

Top Bottom