JIS screwdriver review - a word on screws

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
If you don't know, you should: your Honda does NOT use Phillips screws. Those cross-point screws are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard.) They look virtually identical to a Phillips screw/screw driver, but are fundamentally different. Phillips screws are designed to have the screwdriver "cam out" (aka slip/strip) when the fastener reaches a certain amount of torque. The JIS screws/screwdrivers are designed to NOT cam out - and require that the person limit the torque on the fastener.

Inevitably you use your Phillips screwdriver on your JIS screws and they strip out because the screwdriver is designed to do that. If you use the proper JIS screwdriver you are MUCH less likely to strip a screw.

About six months ago I bought my first JIS screwdriver - from Vessel (a premium Japanese brand) and it included an impact driver built into the handle. The tip is a #2 which will do most all the screws on your bike. I couldn't believe the difference in using this screwdriver (especially on carburetor bowl screws) compared to my old Phillips screwdrivers.

This week I bought a new $15 Vessel 220W Ball-grip screwdriver with replaceable tips in #1, #2 and #3 sizes along with a flat blade that fits beautifully into jet slots and bowl drain slots. It was $15 via amazon and although I wish it were an inch or two longer, the hex shafts allow me to slip a wrench on to add torque for the tough, large screws on the carb rail of the CB750 I'm working on. It's solid and well built and I wish I'd known about JIS screwdrivers years ago!

Recommended: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E55DL4I/

Last edited:
OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Absolutely! This one is a bit smaller than I'd like for the garage, but I'm being picky. It would fit great in an on-bike kit too. If you only had one JIS screwdriver I'd recommend this one as it has 3 JIS tips and a nice slotted tip.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Thanks,
I love my set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers and use them exclusively on my Japanese vehicles. On your recommendation I just ordered the ball grip set as listed on Amazon.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
+1 on all of this.

The difference between Phillips and JIS is not easy to see, but you can certainly feel it when you use the correct screwdriver on your bike. I bought the Vessel set when I started working on my 1976 Yamaha XS650C - and despite the fact that this old bike has been dormant for nearly 20 years, I have gotten every single fastener out on the frame, engine and carbs without stripping a single one (in fact, I got it running in the last two days and rode it around the block last night - VERY cool). Anyhow, I recommend these tools without reservation.

Pete

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
I also ordered the set from the Amazon link. I have used a JIS before and it feels much better than a Philliips. You know you're using the right tool for the job as soon as it seats with the screw. I had to get this set because my son liked my first JIS driver too much and no it resides in his toolbox.

MaxPete, congrats on getting the 76 Yamaha 650 running. I had a 79 that I miss. Kickstart and disc brakes front and rear. And stock groovy pullbackhandlebars bars that were awful now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Motofisch: thanks and yup, I searched for and found a "standard" model and I like it. Today I rode it a couple of miles and it runs better ever time I start it. The darned thing lights up on the electric starter virtually in an instant. Amazing for an XS650 given Bendix drive gnashing you usually hear from XS650s.

Cheers,
Pete

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Added note: the Pz tips with this screwdriver are Pozidrive (think grippier Phillips) -I just put that shaft aside and stick with the two JIS ones.

Top Bottom