Who has a Guzzi?

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Anyone else on this site own a Moto Guzzi? I'm having a blast driving a "used" 2014 Stelvio NTX bought two weeks ago with 3000 miles on it. After an experience with a known electrical problem leaving me at the side of the road, the bike is running great and a joy to ride. It certainly draws attention when I stop. The stock seat is very comfortable and good for long distances. Maintenance is straight forward with this Guzzi.

What Guzzi do you have and how do you like your ride?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a '74 T3. I used to have an 86 SP1000. While at a rally in Lavigne, Ont, a guy I met insisted I test ride his ST1100. I rode about 2 miles, U turned, and came back. The SP beat me up on the trip home, and within 2 months I was the happy owner of my ST1300. Never looked back. This year (and last) at another Guzzi rally I test rode a couple of new Guzzi's. No comparison to my ST. Sorry, but I'm a sucker for a smooth ride, easy acceleration, decent wind protection and I l o v e that Honda motor. The new Guzzi's are better, but still pale in comparison to the capability of the ST (if and only if you do the kind of riding the ST excels at - LD touring and sporty stuff). Yes I miss the light weight of the old bikes compared to the ST, but the latter is still a winner for me.

Oh, and I sold the SP and will probably sell the T3 next year. For me a BIG part of the decision was Piaggio's poor support of dealers and the fact that there are so few dealers across the country. If you own a Guzzi, you have basically two sources for parts - Moto International (Dave Richardson is the guru of Guzzi Gurus) and Harper's. i spent thousands on parts rebuilding my bikes and the nod goes to Moto Int as the ultimate dealership (of course, because of Dave, the owner) - but then they are around 2500 miles west of me. If you are a MGNOC member then you no doubt have read how Moto Guzzi thumbed their nose at Frank Wedge's problems with his new bike's brake problem. While I do not know the finer details of his problems, for the brand to so thoroughly stick it to the head of the national owner's club seems to me to be, at minimum, poor public relations. At least they don't discriminate....

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I have an '01 California. I looked at the Norge when it came out but didn't go there. The Stelvio one of their better offerings. I like it, especially the 8.5 gal tank! :D Dealers are few and far between and come and go. But having a Honda with dealers on every corner has never meant parts were readily available. After the dealer ~35 miles up the road was sold, I couldn't buy anything from stock anywhere. "We can order it ...." got old years ago. Heard nothing but good stuff about M.I. Lost RPM in Texas a couple years ago when one of the brothers died. Bought stuff from and been to Harpers. Easy to deal with, just call them and talk to them. They are off the beaten path. Looked like they had a good business and a good life.

Last edited:
Bike
99 & 01 ST1100
STOC #
I have a 2015 Norge . It has pretty well replaced my ST1100 as the go to bike for touring. It will never be as reliable as the ST1100 but it sure makes me smile every time I get on it. Dealers are few and far between. I bought this in Seattle from Moto International on their fly & ride program. Dave picked up the tab for my air fair and picked me up at the airport. Ride back to Phoenix was great. We have one dealer in AZ now in Prescott. Great place for service. I've also been to Harper's for parts and service on my older Guzzi and their service was great. Love the bike and looking at a new Guzzi 750 for a lighter short ride tourer.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I have a 2003 Le Mans Rosso Corsa. Fun bike. Ohlin’s suspension and Brembo brakes. Not as comfortable as the ST but a great Sunday morning “cafe” bike. I’ll keep it until I can’t fold myself into it’s riding position. It’s weighs 220 lbs less than the ST and because of its rarity in Canada the “redhead” turns a lot of heads. Cheers

Bike
97 ST1100A
2024 Miles
A pic of my two, a 78 le mans mk1 which I have owned for 41 years, I think I might keep it, and an 06 Breva 1100, owned from new. The thing I have always found with Guzzis, is you either love em, or you just don't get em. They get under your skin if you love em. I remember riding the the Le mans for the first time, having never ridden a guzzi before and thinking, holy crap, what have I bought this for, forty one year's later, I still have it. I guess it got under my skin.IMG_20190421_1523309_rewind_kindlephoto-96641951.jpg

OP
OP
SarniaON

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
An oil leak on my Stelvio NTX got worse at ONSToc ‘21 and I was shamed into parking away from everyone else. Every time I stopped, some oil would drip on the left exhaust pipe causing a cloud of smoke but the oil level wasn’t dropping as evidenced by the oil dipstick. Lots of comments from my fellow riders!

The problem is now solved after about five hours of grunt work. The side fairings and the gas tank were removed to reveal an oil breather tube running from the top of the motor to the back of the left cylinder. My local Guzzi dealer (2.5 hours away) sold me this part last year saying I would need it as a leak was developing. Little did I know how difficult the installation would be.

It took me over an hour to fit the tube under the frame and uphill to the flange. After using Vaseline to lube the inside of the tube, I was able to use extra long needle nose pliers through a one inch gap to force the tube over the flange. The hose clamp would not cooperate going uphill in places my fingers could not reach, so a very long twist tie was fastened to the clamp and it was manoeuvred into place with the needle nose pliers. The rest of the work was straight forward and a car wash cleaned everything up. All this work because of a hairline crack near the hose clamp on the back of the left cylinder! All is good now.

Top Bottom