Trailering

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
Going to be moving both the ST and VFR up to our new house (1300 miles) in a few weeks via an 8 x 12 U-haul closed trailer. I'd love to use front wheel chocks, but I suspect U-haul would be a bit miffed if I drilled holes into the floors of their trailer, so nix the front chocks. For the ST will use the Big Dawg Tip-overs for one set of strap attachments and the OE Tip-Overs on the front for the other. Will sort something out for the VFR (TBD). Obviously they'll be staggered with the ST up front and the VFR to the side and rear. I'm also a bit concerned that because of the staggering the tiedown won't be symetrical (one side will be shorter than the other), but I'll also be using boxes either side to add a bit of stability.

But my primary question is.... center stand, side stand, or go commando?

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
I would never rent a U-Haul trailer, drill holes into the non-structural wood floor, install my wheel chocks, remove my wheel chocks, fill the holes with dowels, smear a bit of dirt over and around the dowels and call it good. ;-)

My understanding is that the best method is neither stand supporting the bike. A wheel chock and suitable tie-downs on both sides is best. Provided that all straps are secure, I doubt that the asymmetrical geometry will matter that much, if at all. If it is a concern, consider staging the bikes diagonally in the trailer such that tie-down points are more-or-less symmetrical.

After securing the bikes, drive for a few miles, hit a few bumps, take a few sharp turns left and right, then stop to check all the tie-downs. Check them again nearly every time you stop for gas or such.

Having spare tie-down straps available may be handy.

Congrats on your new house. Enjoy a safe journey.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
And what I found has work good for a buddy with two bikes...he stuffed a couple of pool pillows ( heavy inflatable pillow used in winter to off-set ice ) between his bikes... along with straps of course. Straps got a little loose but the pillows saved them.
BTW, they were on center stand.

PS; Don't forget the great tie down locations under the side wings on the st.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Front chocks only marginally hold the bike there, they really just keep it upright till you strap it down. But re-filling holes with dowels definitely sounds like a plan. :)

I'd use the chocks for stability, even if not bolted down.

Also, consider going from the top of the triple tree to the front of the trailer in place of the tip-over bars. The higher up you get the attachment point the more leverage for stability.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Consider the Canyon Dancer handlebar tie downs for additional options in attachment points. I've used one with our 1300 with good results.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_13?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=canyon+dancer+2&sprefix=Canyon+dancer,aps,196

Good Ridin'
slmjim
Ties onto the handlebar are not recommended for the 1300, the rubber mounting can get overly compressed and distorted.

The 1100 has straight mounted bars and shouldn't be a problem.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
U-Haul does have trailers with one built in tire chocks. Not every U-Haul yard may have them, but they are available.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Ties onto the handlebar are not recommended for the 1300, the rubber mounting can get overly compressed and distorted.

The 1100 has straight mounted bars and shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah, I didn't make myself clear here.

I use tie down loops on the lower triple tree to carry the load to compress the front forks. Attachment to GL 1800 saddlebag guards for the rear. I use the Canyon Dancer as additional attachment points to help maintain vertical integrity. They really don't carry much load otherwise.

Good Ridin'
slmjim

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
You could mount the wheel chock to a piece of plywood. Maybe 3/4" x 2' x 3', long size sideways with the bolts up from the bottom. Lay it in the trailer, ride the ST into the chock and go from there with the tie downs.

OP
OP
Yuma ST
Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
So I went to U-haul today to examine a 6 x 12 (earlier typo). Not good. Of the 2 that I looked at the tiedown rings were flimsy and 1 had 4 rings installed and the other had 5. Not enough to tie down 2 bikes and there didn't appear to be any way to rig up attachment points inside the trailer using tubular nylon (any riggers out there will understand). Plan B is to have them shipped up via a commercial carrier, but I've no idea who to contact regarding a quote. No doubt there's a boat load just a Goggle click away, but who's good and who should be avoided? Input greatly appreciated.

Bike
2010 ST1300
So I went to U-haul today to examine a 6 x 12 (earlier typo). Not good. Of the 2 that I looked at the tiedown rings were flimsy and 1 had 4 rings installed and the other had 5. Not enough to tie down 2 bikes and there didn't appear to be any way to rig up attachment points inside the trailer using tubular nylon (any riggers out there will understand). Plan B is to have them shipped up via a commercial carrier, but I've no idea who to contact regarding a quote. No doubt there's a boat load just a Goggle click away, but who's good and who should be avoided? Input greatly appreciated.
U Haul has a heavy duty trailer designed for motorcycles - but its open. It has a notch at the front (for one bike). I would use an open trailer rather than a closed one because of the tie down points. Open trailers usually have a low rail and more tie down options. I bought a cheap garden trailer that I use to move my ST to a mechanic and I flop a sheet of plywood into the trailer with screwed 2x4's that make a channel for the wheels. This prevents side to side sliding. Then I use ratchet tie downs from the tip over bars and Bygdawg guards aft.

With two bikes it gets to be more difficult, but for a long move I would buy two sheets of 3/4 CDX plywood, cut them so that they fit in the trailer covering the full width, and screw a couple of 2x4's to make channels for the tires and cross pieces (perpendicular to the long axis of the bike). I'd screw a few large screw eyes into the cross piece 2x's and then strap the bikes down to the eyes. I'd use deckmate style torx head screws from the bottom of the plywood up into the 2x4's. Then put the whole new plywood "floor" into the trailer, run the bikes in and strap them down. I found that center stand is best absent a wheel chock - but i make up for the latter (no chock) by tying the front wheel to the front rail of the trailer.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You could mount the wheel chock to a piece of plywood. Maybe 3/4" x 2' x 3', long size sideways with the bolts up from the bottom. Lay it in the trailer, ride the ST into the chock and go from there with the tie downs.

I tried something similar to make an easyto use chock/parking spot in my garage, but the chock kept sliding forward. Mounted it to a 7' ling board, so the back tire was on the biard before the front tire entered the chock, beautiful. No slip n slide. And ai knewexactly how much room the bike needed in the garge, the plywood was the same size as the bike.

Bike
2005 ST1300
If you can't install a chock you could make a wooden "ladder" using 2 x 4s to lay in the trailer. Make it the full width of the trailer. It would serve the same purpose as a chock for both bikes. I have done this before and it works. You will still need to tie off the rear tire and the front ends.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
This may sound silly but why not buy a couple of buddies plane tickets home. They could have a 1300 mile ride and fly home on your dime. Might even be cheaper if it's from a major hub to another hub.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
You don't have to "attach" the front tire chocks, using ones like the HF Chocks, they will stand on their own, and then tie down like you had planned!

harbor freight motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock
I have a similar chock and my own enclosed 6 X 12 trailer that I use for my twice a year migrations north and south. My front wheel chock is not attached to the floor but braced against the front of the trailer. The company that manufactures the chock sells a ratcheting tie down which you can put over the top of front wheel/tire to hold it down into the chock. I haven't done that as it appears you need to remove the front fender on the ST. Then you can add tie downs to the sides using grab handles or tip over bars for more side to side stability. The company videos show cruisers secured this way being towed over bumpy roads.

Top Bottom