Upgrade to 1300, or keep 1100?

I'm currently riding a nice '94 ST1100A with under 40k on it. I'm intrigued by the ST1300, and wonder if it's worth upgrading to one. My current ride is in great shape and runs awesome. Anyone care to weigh in?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Having never owned or even ridden an 1100 I'm ill-qualified to comment. So here goes.

The 1300 is said to have quicker steering called twitchy by an 1100 owner or two IIRC. The FI makes low-speed small-opening throttle a potential challenge (which I chose not to take). The battery is too small for the bike (IMNSHO) and doesn't care for ignition on/engine off scenarios. I don't know about weight center of gravity or seat height compared to the 1100. The 1300 has an overall Japanese-y look to it whereas I find the 1100 to be a more attractive looking bike from the front. The 1300 is limited (out of the box) to 45W/45W bulbs.

That said I do really like my ST1300. It has an electric windshield a stout alternator and FI (a hard mistress wanting some discipline). It took a little while but I'm now ok with the overall look and like in much much better than other brands but still have a little 1100 envy especially with the third-party clear directional lenses.

Riders of both bike with more time in those saddles will give more objective and more pertinent information. Much of mine is subjective so the What You Like factor will play a part in your choice.

Clearly with 40K on your bike it's not even broken in so you've still got a lot of life left in it. It'll be interesting to read what you do and why you made your particular choice.

Bike
07 ST1300
As long as parts are available I see no reason to change. Particularly to yet another out of print bike. Now a 2017 FJR maybe.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
300,000+ miles on ST1100s, 14,000+ miles on ST1300s. I could own either one but I still chose the ST1100s. As I've said many times before, I love the power windshield on the ST1300 and that's about it. It was not an exponential upgrade to the ST1100, it was sort of an incremental upgrade in some areas. Some things they hosed - the key, the dash that ends to wash out with the sun behind you, the heat, the notchy throttle. The weight difference is negligible (maybe equivalent to a saddle bag of stuff). The brakes are much better when compared to a standard ST1100 but not so much against the ABSII ST1100 (not the ABS system but the stopping power). ST1300 is a little more 'sporty' but then not many folks ride either of these bikes out to the bike's limits. The ST1100 is more steady and hauls weight better. All of this is my opinion based on my experience on both bikes. Some folks have swapped and went back, some folks wish they could swap and go back, some folks would never go back. YEMV. ;-)

Bike
2006 ST1300
I fell "in like" with the ST when I saw an 1100 many years ago. I was riding BMW's at the time, which were, in their day, MUCH more reliable than Jap bikes. Flash forward a few years, and I rented a WIng out west....I was hooked. I'd love to have an 1100 in my stable as well as my 1300, I think they both would be fun. At the mileage you have on your bike, you ARE at a turning point. It is still low mileage enough to be easily saleable, but, are you ready to give it up yet?

Being somewhat of a Luddite, I don't need the latest or greatest, so I'd probably keep the 1100, and ride the wheels off it. It is probably worth a lot more to you than a potential buyer, and you know where it's been and how it has been cared for. Or....keep an eye out for an exceptional 1300, and you have the 1100 to ride while you do.....

Bike
'14 Honda Valkyrie
I had both many years ago. I got almost three years out of the 1100 before I succumbed to the new bike itch and traded it; only got one year out of the 1300. Not questioning what a good bike the ST1300 is - it just wasn't for me. I enjoyed the 1100 much more -- it was just more sedate and relaxing to ride. I understand where they were going with the 1300, but it was a little too much on the sport side of sport tourer. The 1300 was an absolute blast to ride in the twisties and would keep up with almost anything. But it was a bit of a stretch to the ground -- I have a 31" inseam, but I couldn't flat-foot it. It was also pretty top-heavy, even after it's moving. And I just could not get comfortable with the semi-crouched riding position. I never had any of those problems with the 1100 -- it just fell victim to The Itch, one of the few in my history of bikes that I wish I had kept a little longer than I did. The ST1100 remains one of my favorite rides.

Certainly not trying to tell you what to do -- just relaying my own experience.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I've had my 2002 1100 since June 2003. Over the winter I went through a thought process re keeping the 1100 or getting a 1300 or some other brand ST bike. In the end I decided to keep the 1100 and placed an order for new progressive front springs and the 465 rear shock + new tires to get it ready for the 2016 season.

Bottom line is that the 1100 is paid for, I really like its styling, it looks and runs like new with 98,000 KM, it fits me perfectly and I ride it nowhere near its capability. Only thing I'd really like to have would be abs brakes as I have the standard model, that said, it continues to be the perfect bike for me.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I bought an '01 1100 in 2012. Rode it for three years. Also rode my brothers '07 1300 during that time. Whenever I rode his 1300, I looked forward to getting back on my 1100. I then wrecked my 1100 in 2015 and was in the quandary of what to buy next. Considered the FJR, another ST1100, the ST1300 and the Tenere. I ended up getting another ST1100, but this time with ABS. I just like it a lot. I prefer a little sport with more touring versus the other way around.

If I were looking at bikes again, I would also seriously consider the '15 or '16 Kawasaki Versys 650LT or 1000LT. Fantastic reviews, does everything... commute, tour, little off road, twisties, etc. Seems like it's about the best new bike you can get for the money, or so say others. Good luck with your search.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I had an 1100 for a few years before getting an opportunity to test ride an '03 when they first hit the market. While I enjoyed riding the 1100 a lot, after about 30 minutes on a 1300, it just felt like a better bike for me. Never regretted the decision to make the jump.

John

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello Kelly:

I own one of each - an 2001 ST1100 I keep in Europe, and a 2012 ST1300 I keep in Canada.

As Uncle Phil said in his post above, the only significant difference between the two is that the ST1300 has an adjustable electric windshield, which is very nice to have. Other than that, I don't think there is a lot of difference between the two. I'm happy with both motorcycles.

Personally, I cannot see any benefit arising from trading your very low mileage 94 ST1100 in on a 1300, unless you believe that the windshield alone is worth the cost of the transaction.

Do also keep in mind that the price of changing bikes will be significantly higher than just the initial purchase price. Chances are, you have a number of farkles on your 1100 that make the bike "exactly the way you like it" - if you get a 1300, it won't have those farkles, whatever they may be, and the price of farkling up a new-to-you motorcycle adds up pretty quickly, once you start tossing in bar risers, seats, custom windshields, and stuff like that.

My recommendation to you: Keep the 1100 and enjoy it.

Michael

OP
OP
Thanks for the thoughtful comments, guys.

My 1100 was a 31k mile garage queen when I bought it in February. While I don't have any extras on it other than a Two Brothers exhaust and heated grips, I spent a lot of time getting the maintenance done and getting the carbs just right. I had always wanted one of these, and I've put about 8k on it in the last six months already.

My main concern with the 1100 is the fact that it's 22 years old. Some of the plastics are beginning to dry out, and I'd be bummed out if I put a bunch of $$ into extras only to have it start falling apart afterward. I plan to do Progressive suspension, HIDs, and a seat over the winter.

After reading what you all have posted, I will most likely just stick with the 1100 for at least a few more years unless something bad happens to it.

Bike
2006 ST1300
not in the universe I rode in, maybe they held up better in GA than in CA.
In the 60's and 70's, BMW's were generally the most reliable bikes made. No chains to adjust/lube/replace, BING carbs, which were far ahead of the Keihin units of that time, leading shoe drum brakes, easy maintenance , etc. They were raced most successfully in long, endurance style races, where the BMW's often won by attrition.

Paris/Dakar was a good example.

I can't speak to BMW reliability in Ca, but elsewhere it was pretty darn good.
s

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the thoughtful comments, guys.

My main concern with the 1100 is the fact that it's 22 years old. Some of the plastics are beginning to dry out, and I'd be bummed out if I put a bunch of $$ into extras only to have it start falling apart afterward.
Maybe because I keep mine in the garage and covered at night when on a trip, but the plastics on both of my 97's and my 02 are fine (especially the parts that I've had to replace over the years to my indiscretions ... ;-)) Also, they get cleaned at least once a year whether they need it or not and never waxed.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Having not owned a ST1000 (instead a couple Kawasaki Councours 1000) the biggest advantages of the ST1300 for me, living in a cooler climate area) were the adjustable ws, fuel injection, better brakes, a bit more electronics in the dash, and a timing chain system vs belt.
Minor stuff for the most part.
Love the "classic" looks of the ST1000 and the C10 compared to the 1300 series.
40K miles on the 1100?? Keep it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
In the 60's and 70's, BMW's were generally the most reliable bikes made. No chains to adjust/lube/replace, BING carbs, which were far ahead of the Keihin units of that time, leading shoe drum brakes, easy maintenance , etc. They were raced most successfully in long, endurance style races, where the BMW's often won by attrition.

Paris/Dakar was a good example.

I can't speak to BMW reliability in Ca, but elsewhere it was pretty darn good.
s
the time frame may be the differing factor then, I was talking about from the late '80s and beyond (since your original comment about seeing a ST1100 while riding BMWs at the time)

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I had my 1100 for over a decade before getting the 1300. The main reason I went with the 1300 was that 1100's were pretty much going for the same price. If the 1100 is running great keep it. The 1300 has much better brakes, the lighting is better, the balance is better, it feels lighter. Fuel injection over 4 carbs is a no-brainer. The electric windshield was awesome at first. But in the summer I ride with it in the lowest position all the time. I bump it up a little for extended interstate jaunts. My dislikes are the transmission shift points. I never feel like I'm in the right gear. Also I always feel like I need one more gear after when I'm done shifting. I'm not sure why. The ergonomics of the bike seem cramped. I've got stumpy legs and a long upper body. Perfect for the 1100 but oddly cramped on the 1300. When I get the seat where I can reach the ground comfortably the pegs get crowded. I just don't like the sound of the motor when riding. The 1300 just sounds noisy and thin. I don't think there is a huge power difference. Gas mileage was better on the 1100 and you don't need premium.
My 1100 was just starting to get worn. I was about ready to start round 3 on the carbs. They had been rebuilt twice and it was due for a third time. I t was due for some other major repairs and I just didn't want to put the time and money into it. Plus, I was spending more time riding my DRZ400. If my 1100 was in prime condition I would have never gotten rid of it. Keep yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
180k on two ST1100s, 98k on my ST1300. Overall the ST1300 is a much better bike, IMHO.
I am 5'9" 180lbs. With a Corbin seat the 1300 fits me perfectly. It handles better, feels lighter and steers quicker than the 1100. It has noticeably more power. The electric windshield and larger alternator are also welcome additions.
With EFI, it is not nearly as sensitive to altitudes as my ST1100s were. It has a steel tank which allows for a magnetic tank bag.

Three areas where the ST1100 is superior:
Larger battery box
It runs cooler (Carb vs EFI)
It looks better without the bags. The ST1300 is just plain ugly without bags.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I see you made up your mind and that's good. There is nothing wrong with staying with one bike for awhile, at least until you get your money's worth.

I've been riding for 45 years now and have had a number of bikes over those years. Back in 1987, after crashing my '83 Honda 650 Nighthawk, I went to the VF700/V45 Sabres for 16 years (three different ones). When I got a bug to upgrade, my brother Dave and I discussed the ST1100 and the V65 Sabres. We decided that the V65 Sabres had more get up and go than the ST1100 did, so in 2003 we both bought V65 Sabres. That lasted all of two years, in October 2005 Dave went out and bought a ST1300. At first I told him he was nuts, but he had me looking at them within a month. So in November of 2005 I also had a ST1300.

By 2007, I had sold both of my V45/V65 Sabres and solely rode the ST1300. I put 174.3K miles on that bike before selling it to one of my sons In June of 2013. But by then I had a '04 and 2010 ST1300s. The idea was to use the '04 as my commuter and the '10 as my backup/long distance bike. I put 37K on the '04 before it was put in my shed, waiting for a waterpump, and in the meantime I had picked up another '04 and then last September, I bought a new 2012.

So now I have 4 ST1300s floating around. Both '04s need waterpumps (I'll get to those some day), my 2010 now has 48,600 miles on it (that I have put on) and my 2012 now has 2,200, (I'm commuting on it to get it ready for a 4,000 mile ride in less than two weeks).

I've had the '04 #2 up for sale (after putting 20K miles on it), but seems nobody wants to buy a good running ST1300 that has a salvage title and needs a waterpump. Oh darn, guess I'll just have to fix it and keep riding it too!

I found the bike that fits me, my riding style and comfort. I commute 125 miles a day and find the ST1300 is great for that because I can take extra gear for (cool/cold in the mornings and warm/hot in the afternoons) and still be able to enjoy riding it for long distances, like the ride Dave and I are doing to get to WeSTOC in Grand Junction Colorado.

When you find a bike that you like, why get rid of it just because Honda hasn't upgraded it or whatever? I find many, like my oldest son, they get bored and have to move on to something else. For me, I find something, I stick with it for as long as practical. The Mid 80's Sabres were great bikes, but parts were hard to find and they required a lot of maintenance to keep them running for what I needed. That's another reason the ST1300s are so great. You can get a lot of miles out of them before having to do much maintenance. Besides, now that I've been riding them for over 10.5 years and restoring three of them, I know these bikes very well, why would I want to change to something I would have to learn all over again? :D

Happy riding!

Top Bottom