Camping pillow suggestions

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'm a side sleeper and I have my cpap. So I like a tall pillow but also a stiffer one so I can be on the edge to let my cpap mask overhang. I bought a pair of compressible pillows, Alpine Design. When open they are 11X15x5, when stuffed, 11x5x5. Put the two into a regular pillow case and it works great.

Tried the inflatable but just never felt like a pillow. In a pinch I'll roll the jacket and pants and down a few shots of JD. But then the neighbors ain't happy if I don't have the mask.

Bike
2008 ST1300
I use a foam pillow off of my bed at home, I roll it up like a sleeping bag and put a tie down strap around it. Very comfortable.

STOC #
I'm really picky when it comes to pillows. I've went through about 5 before settling on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Aeros-Pillow-Premium/dp/B00HUL4JVI

It's not as good as my pillow at home but it's the best camping pillow i've found and packs down about the size of a can of pop.
I'm building up some gear for camping next spring, and I keep coming across this pillow... it looks nice, but wow... $47, for an inflatable pillow... ugh.
I'll probably end up with one, but it better be great.

I'm a side sleeper that tosses and turns all night, and I almost always have one arm/hand extended above me toward the headboard... I'm still trying to figure out how that is going to work in a mummy bag. :)

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
My daughter bought two of these for our recent riding/camping trip... I was very impressed. If you wash them first, they really fluff out and make a decent pillow. They roll up into a small compressed package about half the size of a loaf of bread.
https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Pillow-Compressible-Backpacking-Festivals/dp/B01DOOO84W/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1470524292&sr=1-3&keywords=thermarest+camping+pillow
after trying several types (air pillows and me dont like each other)I finally found this and been using it for 3 years--compact, fluffy, comfy.

I'm building up some gear for camping next spring, and I keep coming across this pillow... it looks nice, but wow... $47, for an inflatable pillow... ugh.
I'll probably end up with one, but it better be great.

I'm a side sleeper that tosses and turns all night, and I almost always have one arm/hand extended above me toward the headboard... I'm still trying to figure out how that is going to work in a mummy bag. :)
Part of the price is that it packs really small, it's light and it's made of a nice material that does not require a pillow case. The cheap ones are made of plastic that feels awful on your skin.

Everyone's different though, I went through 3 or 4 before I settled on this one. I just keep telling myself it's less then 1 nights hotel everytime I buy something :)

I bought a really nice down style mummy sleeping bag and I don't really like it. It's a Marmot, packs really small, very warm but not a fan of the mummy style. I paid so much for it though that I feel like I have to use it :)

STOC #
Part of the price is that it packs really small, it's light and it's made of a nice material that does not require a pillow case. The cheap ones are made of plastic that feels awful on your skin.

Everyone's different though, I went through 3 or 4 before I settled on this one. I just keep telling myself it's less then 1 nights hotel everytime I buy something :)

I bought a really nice down style mummy sleeping bag and I don't really like it. It's a Marmot, packs really small, very warm but not a fan of the mummy style. I paid so much for it though that I feel like I have to use it :)
I'm going to REI this weekend to "try" some pillows before I commit.
I'll be taking the bike - that keeps me from buying anything that won't pack on it. :)

My sleeping bag, according to eBay in another open tab, should be sitting on my front porch as we speak. :D

Last edited:

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I have the exped. I concur. Pricey. The unit will not deflate, and works very well. Combined withe exped mattress like sleeping on sleep number bed.

STOC #
Well... that was a bust. REI didn't have much of anything in stock to try out. Not a Cot anywhere to be seen (I wanted to lay on a Helinox Cot One or Cot Max).
Saw a couple things I wanted, but I know I can find them online much cheaper.
Tons of clothing, but not much camping gear on the showroom floor.
I'm told my nearby REI (Marina, CA) is a very small one.

At least I took the bike out, and had a great lunch with my Son. :)

Well... that was a bust. REI didn't have much of anything in stock to try out. Not a Cot anywhere to be seen (I wanted to lay on a Helinox Cot One or Cot Max).
Saw a couple things I wanted, but I know I can find them online much cheaper.
Tons of clothing, but not much camping gear on the showroom floor.
I'm told my nearby REI (Marina, CA) is a very small one.

At least I took the bike out, and had a great lunch with my Son. :)
Well that's to bad. I'm also interested in the Cot 1. I plan on a 10k 17day trip next year and I think I need something more comfortable to sleep on then my sleeping pad for 16 straight nights! I am debating if I want to spend that kind of money on a cot though, I may just go with an air mattress, i'll be going in June so it should be warm enough.

STOC #
Well that's to bad. I'm also interested in the Cot 1. I plan on a 10k 17day trip next year and I think I need something more comfortable to sleep on then my sleeping pad for 16 straight nights! I am debating if I want to spend that kind of money on a cot though, I may just go with an air mattress, i'll be going in June so it should be warm enough.
Yeah, I already spent $100 on an air mattress, but I thought adding a Cot underneath it would be the best combination.
Still looking.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
take a soft blanket and make a sleeve that your mattress can be inserted into and sew velcro on the end of sleeve, you will be warmer and mattress will be quiet.

I have the same one but I was talking more along the lines of the cheap ones you use in a swimming pool, they are bulky and need an air pump but I don't think any bigger then a cot would be.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/outbound-flocked-airbed-0765563p.html#srp
I've used that one before, it lasted me about 15 nights but it was VERY comfortable.

Never thought of using the sleeping pad on the cot though, that's an interesting idea! I've used it on top of the sleeping pad and that's about as comfortable as I can get.

Bike
2003 ST1300
after trying several types (air pillows and me dont like each other)I finally found this and been using it for 3 years--compact, fluffy, comfy.
+3 on this one. Once you get the hang of beating it into shape, it's a good little pillow. I've always hated the inflatable types, this one works for me.

Top Bottom