Kickstand question

Bike
2004 ST 1300A
I have not seen any questions about this, so I wonder if my bike is "special". I ride with many folks with other bikes, and IO am the only one who needs to put a puck under my kickstand. It doesn't see to matter what parking lot I park my 2004 ST1300 in, I cannot leave the bike on the side stand for more than an hour or two without leaving a deep hole where the stand sinks into the tar. Is this normal or does my bike lean over too far. Are there any attachments that I can install?
Thanks,
Jim

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Sounds like you have aftermarket shock and or springs. This and having the preload adjuster set on max setting can cause the bike to lean way over.
Try servicing you preload adjuster and adding fluid, then turning it down to the default setting and see if that helps.
Is it really easy or hard to use the center stand?

Bike
2010 ST1300
You might try parking on concrete. Seriously, I use a metal plate or puck whenever I park on grass or anything I judge to be a marginal surface. That said, my ST has never left an indent in asphalt, so Larry's diagnosis sounds like its right on. Did you buy your bike new? Might the PO have made some changes to the height of the bike?

Larry's question means that if its absurdly easy to put on the center stand, then your bike is higher than usual. Find another ST owner and feel what it is like to put it on its center stand.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If your bike has had suspension work it's ride height may be taller than stock thus causing the extra lean and pressure on the sidestand. Mine was like this due to raising the ride height and I took a sidestand bought off fleabay to a welding shop which added a 1/2" thick piece of steel to the foot.

OP
OP
stridernj
Bike
2004 ST 1300A
Thanks to all. My bike has a aftermarket Penske shock, so I think you are all right on. I have no problem putting her up on the center stand, I was just a little nervous about coming out after work and finding it anchored into the tar :) I will try your suggestions - I know the shock is overdue for a rebuild.
Thanks again,
Jim

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I know the shock is overdue for a rebuild.
Thanks again,
Jim
The shock doesn't support the bike, the spring does. So needing a rebuild is not related.

I have aftermarket spring, about twice the strength of OEM and keep my preload cranked, on a car-tire, my bike doesn't seem to lean that much over, about what I would consider regular for any bike. I park on concrete normally at work, dedicated MC spaces, but even on asphalt it has to be a really hot day for me to need a puck.

So I would probably check with another ST owner and compare in person. Maybe the previous owner of your bike had shortened the stand?

Bike
2010 ST1300
The shock doesn't support the bike, the spring does. So needing a rebuild is not related.

So I would probably check with another ST owner and compare in person. Maybe the previous owner of your bike had shortened the stand?
I would think that shortening the stock stand is, at best, a difficult operation to do in anything approaching a neat job. My stand looks to be forged (or cast steel) with an integral foot. To shorten it would involve cutting out a section and welding the pieces back together leaving obvious visible tracks saying this was done. I suppose you could cut the foot off and weld a small flat plate there (this might be neater and easier). Seems like an awful lot of trouble to do this unless you have lowered the bike w/ a modified shock and forks.

Top Bottom