Help with fork disassembly

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I have this same set (the older one made in USA).
This is real good advice, as once you damage threads, be it in the frame or fork cartridge, you can't undo the damage. Use chasers not taps/dies.

OP
OP
Trike flyer
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I meant to ask earlier, is it possible that a PO used red loctite on the threads? Given that heat appears to have made a difference it made me wonder. With blue you shouldn't need to use heat, but red definitely needs heat. I think there was some confusion because the Honda thread locking agent that doesn't require heat is red, so sometimes people used red loctite by mistake.
I bought the bike with less that 20K on the OD so I doubt anything had been done to the forks.

Thanks for the direction on the thread chasers, Im always looking for an excuse to add tools to the box:)

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
My fear on these bolts is, they take a smaller allen wrench/socket to get them off. My luck, I'll use the impact and snap off the head of the bolt or round out the hole..:rolleyes:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
My fear on these bolts is, they take a smaller allen wrench/socket to get them off. My luck, I'll use the impact and snap off the head of the bolt or round out the hole..:rolleyes:
Unless someone else has done something wrong (like red locktite) or the bolt is heavily corroded, you shouldn't have a problem. The bolt threads are bathed in fork oil, so usually the only reason you need an impact is to give it a quick snap to avoid spinning the internal threads along with the bolt head. I've removed these bolts on my ST several times and I'm pretty sure I got them out with a regular ratchet every time and didn't have any problems with the bolts spinning.

Top Bottom