Finally something I did that actually helped with the heat !

Bike
2006 ST1300
The temps were in the 90's today with the dew point at 76. Muggy and hot to ride a motorcycle for sure. Finally I had a chance to try out my most recent effort to mitigate the heat problem down to a tolerable level. I am not saying ALL the heat is gone or solved. My efforts just helped reduce the amount of direct hot air coming up around the tank directly into my crotch. My Corbin seat stayed much cooler for a lot longer. This past week I covered the bottom of my seat with the mylar insulation someone had suggested on this forum. I believe the largest improvement gained was installing the piece of foam pipe insulation around the back of the tank where the seat meets up with the tank. The amount of air coming up in front of the seat is now minimal. I am pleased that at least it takes a good while before the bike would become uncomfortable. I drove 100 miles today for a trial run to see. I found a definite improvement at least for me. The cost was hardly enough to mention being 20 bucks or less.

Attachments

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Looks good Milkmaster - great idea! Combined with the Redneck Nut Cooler of a couple of weeks back, this could keep older guys fertile for a while longer!

Pete

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
On the NT700 Honda San fitted a rubber "wotsit" between the tank and the seat. It works a charm and, possibly, you may be able to adapt it for the ST...

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
My '06 doesn't cook me as much as my '07. But then again the '07 has the wind deflector kit installed. I might look into this.

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Great tip. It looked like you had to take off the seat bracket to install the foil, but what did you use for the gap around the seat and tank? It looks like regular copper pipe wrap to prevent condensation in warm temperatures?

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
The mylar insulation is actually on the bottom of my seat. I did install it beneath the brackets to hold it on securely. You are correct in that the other piece around the back of the tank is pipe insulation. I used the split in the pipe insulation to go around the lip on the fuel tank. That stops the majority of the hot air coming up around the back of the tank.

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
In your first picture, do you also have the Honda Fairing Reflector kit installed? If so, did that not cure the heat problem?

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
In your first picture, do you also have the Honda Fairing Reflector kit installed?
I don't know what you are calling the "Honda Fairing Reflector Kit"

If you are referring to the air deflector kits, then yes I have both upper and lower kits on my bike. They actually knock enough air off the rider that is it warmer than without. The trade off is better comfort and less turbulence at least for me. It is also helpful in the wintertime for sure.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm short and place my Sargent seat in the low/low position. The seat in low position fits tightly against the tank and seals the gap.

This is about the only benefit to having a short inseam :D

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
What size pipe insulation did you use? 1/2"
yes... I put a narrow piece of the pipe insulation beneath where the seat bracket sticks up from the bike and then used a longer piece to wrap around the lip of the tank as you see in the picture. The front of the seat when installed compresses it into the tank just a bit. The hot air I used to get on my crotch has been eliminated. The seat I am using now is a Corbin, but I would imagine the concept works with other seat choices as well.

Top Bottom