Anyone installed Tool Tubes on the ST?

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Hi guys,
I recently got 2 MSR bottles with these tubes to mount on the St1300.
dryspec tube.jpg and I am having a hard time finding a location to mount these.
Does anyone have them installed or have any ideas? I'm stumped.
We ride 2up most of the time so I have to be mindful of the Mrs. mounting and dismounting.
I don't want to drill into the side cases, so anywhere but.

Mike

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Re: Anyone installed these on the ST?

I've seen these for tool kits and for welding rod holders.

But I'm guessing that in your scenario they are water bottles? So you want them close to hand?

Bike
2010 Honda ST13

Hi guys,
I recently got 2 MSR bottles with these tubes to mount on the St1300.
dryspec tube.jpg and I am having a hard time finding a location to mount these.
Does anyone have them installed or have any ideas? I'm stumped.
We ride 2up most of the time so I have to be mindful of the Mrs. mounting and dismounting.
I don't want to drill into the side cases, so anywhere but.

Mike
I have 2 water bottles on my bike. One for the passenger and one for me. What are "MSR" bottles?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

What are "MSR" bottles?
Ahh... I missed the MSR part. I use 'em for storing Coleman fuel.

For the pillion and myself, water bottles (CamelBak bottles) are thrown in the tank bag. If riding solo, CamelBak bladder and a single bottle for a second flavor/type of refreshment are in the tank bag.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I understand he got the msr bottles... the tool tubes came with the deal. The tubes shown are intended to hold manuals for ag equipment right on the piece itself. Nothing to do with water bottles!!!
He just wants to know where to mount them on an ST.
They are commonly used on ADV bikes.
Doesn't everybody read ADVrider.com?
They should.....there's a whole 'nother world out there that isn't paved!!!
:)

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
I'd be interested to see where these could be conveniently mounted.

..... Doesn't everybody read ADVrider.com?
They should.....there's a whole 'nother world out there that isn't paved!!!
:)
Sure do, but generally limit myself to Aussie section. There is a wealth of info on ADRider, but sometimes is is difficult to separate the good from the bad, the sincere comments from the smart-alec, etc ....

scootac

Will Ride for Food
There is a wealth of info on ADRider, but sometimes is is difficult to separate the good from the bad, the sincere comments from the smart-alec, etc ....
I've found very good info everywhere on ADV..... but Jo Momma isn't for the thin-skinned sensitive type!!!
Ride reports, photo section, trip planning, gear ADVice are second to none.
Of course ST-O excels at bike specific info.

Back to the tool tubes... if you have an aftermarket rear rack... possible to hang them underneath? With so much plastic, really limits the options!

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. The msr are bottles to carry extra fuel/gas. Either for camping, or extra gas for the bike on long trips e.g. Alaska. They don't need to be close to hand.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you normally carry a 45 to 52 liter top box you could look at mounting them on the underside of the box aligned fore and aft. They should clear the mounting plate and top of the OEM panniers. I have seen ST1100s with tents and other long cylindrical items mounted crosswise below the license plate. I don't know if the lower rear fender is stout enough for this on the 1300.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Another tip is do not overfill the MSR bottles and don't lay them on their side, as some have reported they leak when the fuel heats up....... what about passenger footpeg area? Also there are other fuel carrying alternatives that have bottles shaped more rectangular and come with a bracket (I'm not talking about RotoPacks). You'll find them on adventure bike forums/vendors (I can't recall where I saw them).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another tip is do not overfill the MSR bottles and don't lay them on their side, as some have reported they leak when the fuel heats up.......
I traveled thousands of miles on a NC700X with a MSR bottle mounted horizontally without a leak. If you fill it to the Full line and tighten the cap you have no leaks. Just a data point.

I purchased two of the tool tubes as well and haven't been able to find a spot either ....so I'm very interested in what others have to say. I did hear one st owner mounted them at the back of one of the panniers. I'm assuming he had to drill. I won't be doing that.So for now I just throw my fuel bottle in it and leave it in a pannier.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I would suggest mount them where I have my toolbox... but right next to the exhaust outlet is probably not a great place to be storing gas... :nuke1:

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I would suggest mount them where I have my toolbox... but right next to the exhaust outlet is probably not a great place to be storing gas...
Being in the plastic tube, I don't think I would worry about it.
Got a pic?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I carried two MSR 1 liter bottles of fuel on my SS1000 last year,,, and they saved my bacon no less than 3 times,, as the CB that I was riding had some real fuel capacity issues. I just stood them up in the rear trunk case,, wrapped in a pair of micro-fibre cloths to stop rattling. I did not experience any seepage or vapors,,, but I did keep my bike supplies,, in the trunk case,,, and clothing and such in the saddlebags. On the ST now,,, I am debating the need to carry spare fuel at all,, or oil for that matter,,, maybe some coolant. It is one less thing to worry about carrying. I suppose,, that if I was camping I might want to use the MSR's for stove fuel,, if I ever get into that mode,, but naphtha is super volitile. If I was determined to mount the carry tubes,,, I would put a flat plate on the rear rack that extends out the sides,, and bolt them to that. A bit draggy though. Cat'

Bike
2010 ST1300
OK, a couple of ideas. Since the ST has full coverage of plastic, there is really no place to hang anything extra so you will have to be creative. I've seen some wire racks that mount on top of the top box. Someone here has wire tied a piece of PVC plastic w/ an end cap and screw cap at the other end and he stores his tent poles in this tube, I've given serious thought to making one (involves welding) and drilling and mounting it on the top box but I've not moved on it. This might be one option for you.

Another would be to fabricate - either aluminum strap or steel - a bracket that runs across the width of the bike under the top box, and hangs down on both sides. think of an inverted "U" with squared off bends. Then fabricate a 'cage' like a cup holder (i saw the kind of thing I'm talking about in another thread about hydration systems) that hangs from the vertical legs of this 'U'. Or just rig up some kind of way to secure the two bottles outboard of and next to the top box. This could be as simple as installing a thin piece of metal under the top box extending out to the sides a few inches - just enough to provide a 'shelf'.

Didn't someone here have a trailer hitch with a rectangular cooler mounted on it? This is overkill for 2 quarts of fuel, but now you have even more storage space.

I'm not a fan of carrying chemicals (gasoline) inside the panniers. Should your fuel bottle leak you have ruined your chothing...... And we all know you should not ride your bike naked.

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Top Bottom