Anyone installed Tool Tubes on the ST?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Here is another idea,, for mounting a tool tube,,, and keeping it upright,,, and I don't have a tube to check the fit,,, but maybe it is worth checking. It would not take any fabrication,,, and could be removable. Mount the tubes on the rear slope of the inboard paniers. They would be about 15-20 degrees of vertical,, and largely in the lee of the panier. Of course you would have to be willing to drill your paniers,,, but then you could remover the tubes when desired. Kind of shades of Pinto, though,,,, Cat'

Bike
2010 ST1300
Whoa,,, no,, I meant on the outside rear slope of the inboard panniers,,, cap up,, of course and a drain hole in the bottom of the tube. Cat'
You misunderstand. I meant in those garbage cans - not the ST's side cases.

Mounted one with homemade brackets. Could easily be made to fit two. Will post pics on Saturday as i work tomorrow.

OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
Doesn't everybody read ADVrider.com?
They should.....there's a whole 'nother world out there that isn't paved!!!
:)
Yeah, I know, myself, the missus, and my old '11 found quite a few of those. Ask Jack from the SabMag list about his driveway and Ozzie's ST1100......... "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads......."

Back on subject....I've got a couple of those myself, been wondering what to do with them....

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
OK, a couple of ideas. Since the ST has full coverage of plastic, there is really no place to hang anything extra so you will have to be creative. I've seen some wire racks that mount on top of the top box. Someone here has wire tied a piece of PVC plastic w/ an end cap and screw cap at the other end and he stores his tent poles in this tube, I've given serious thought to making one (involves welding) and drilling and mounting it on the top box but I've not moved on it. This might be one option for you.

Another would be to fabricate - either aluminum strap or steel - a bracket that runs across the width of the bike under the top box, and hangs down on both sides. think of an inverted "U" with squared off bends. Then fabricate a 'cage' like a cup holder (i saw the kind of thing I'm talking about in another thread about hydration systems) that hangs from the vertical legs of this 'U'. Or just rig up some kind of way to secure the two bottles outboard of and next to the top box. This could be as simple as installing a thin piece of metal under the top box extending out to the sides a few inches - just enough to provide a 'shelf'.

Didn't someone here have a trailer hitch with a rectangular cooler mounted on it? This is overkill for 2 quarts of fuel, but now you have even more storage space.

I'm not a fan of carrying chemicals (gasoline) inside the panniers. Should your fuel bottle leak you have ruined your chothing...... And we all know you should not ride your bike naked.
Trailer hitch? Hey, I've got one of those, and a welder. We may be on to something.......

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Any 1100 riders following this and thinking about where to store the bottles? Check out this ebay offering

link deleted

Maybe an idea for the 1300.

There is another piece that mounts across the seat that will act as a luggage rack or you can mount the box there and use the back section for a luggage rack. This is from the Ukraine. I think someone ordered one, maybe he'll chime in.

Edit: Oh well. mellow won't let it show. never mind

Last edited:
OP
OP
STrangr

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
ok, I think I may have figured it out. Not quite finished yet (still need to get a bracket for the front which I will mount to the topcase rack) but, I removed the reflectors off the side (I put them back afterwards) and cut out a part of the outside mounting plate of the tube. I then inserted a bolt from the top with a washer and a nut from the bottom to fasten it. This is what I got so far. I should complete the job tomorrow. Looks promising.

Attachments

Did you fabricate that bracket or was it something store bought? That is exactly what I have in mind for the fuel bottles but on both sides.
Yup just bought some flat metal from Home Depot....undid the plate for my top box and bent them to fit. Drilled the same hole pattern as my top box plate and bent them to fit. Painted the metal black and cut off the plastic mounting brackets off the tool tubes. Dirt cheap ....like me.

Top Bottom