98 st11 ht leads and caps

Bike
St1100 abs/tcs
hi everyone, can anyone tell me for definite with the ht leads on the pan are the rubberised caps screw on, push on, glued, or just moulded. I have bought some new coils with leads but would like to keep the rubberised caps. and not spend ?25 plus vat per cap.
any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Neil

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Neil,

The caps clip on the spark plugs. The HT leads screw into the caps and the coils. The caps should measure 5k ohms, but might be corroded inside and need a scrape with a screwdriver after disassembly.

Does anyone know of a 'car' alternative that would fit an 1100?

Roger

OP
OP
Bike
St1100 abs/tcs
thanks guys greatly appreciated. now for another favour from any st owner. my son thought he would be helpful and remove the coils for me while I was at work and he didn't label them before taking off I have a rough idea but can any one confirm, as you look at the coils on the bike the top coil points left bottom right that I know but the leads top coil, top lead to front left and bottom coil, top lead front right is this right ... oh and my son has been shot, hung drawn and quartered and buried in the garden.. seriously he got torn a new one

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Well, shows the lad has some initiative and desire to learn some wrenching skills and has, I'm sure, learned a good lesson early, to always take care to note how things come apart, if you hope to have any clue how to put it back together. No harm done though, as someone here will be able to get it sorted for you. Maybe a pic of what you have done would be helpful.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
bike ign.jpg
Neil,

Any help?

Roger
That visual explains it all !

But if I understand your question, then it really doesn't matter.

Because it's a "wasted spark" system, you can switch the caps between the two left side cylinders and/or the two right side cylinders and it won't make a difference. And if you were to get the two coils "switched" around by mistake , all you would have to do is switch the primary wires to make the bike run normally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom