I phone 6s camera question

Louie Louie

I understand that tapping the screen allows you to focus. However, if you press the screen longer it goes into auto focus and auto exposure. What does AF AE really do ? How can I benefit from it?
Thanks in advance!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The iPhone's camera is always in AF/AE mode. Tapping on the screen only changes the point on which the camera focuses. You may notice that when you hold the camera up the yellow square (focus) sometimes moves around while the camera decides on what to focus (which can also be affected by your moving the camera). It might autofocus on one part of a scene when you're interested in another that isn't in focus so you tap the screen and the yellow square focuses on that part.

Tapping and holding locks AF/AE so that nothing will cause the camera to change focus or exposure. You don't have to refocus between shots and you keep consistent exposure. Tapping the screen again unlocks AF/AE. It works pretty well but it's not perfect.

While AF/AE are locked on you can still adjust exposure by sliding your finger up or down. When you stop that exposure will be maintained until you manually change it again or unlock AF/AE.

Top Bottom