Foot Pain

Bike
ST1300 vfr750
Ok, so I have put about 7,000 miles on to my ST since I bought it a year and a half ago.... I know I know only 7,000! But I still own other bikes I enjoy riding lol.

So I have a 1st gen heli riser courtesy of Scuba Dave (Great doing business with you, thank you). I am sure I'll go to a larger riser at some point but I currently am very happy with my riding position....Except. After about an hour of riding, twisties or highway, or a combination of the two, I start to get a sharp pain around my heel. As ST-Steve had suggested I have adjusted the seat in many ways and tried different foot wear. I thought maybe it was me and just getting a little older things might start to hurt. So I rode my other bikes and I had no pain. I know I have the options of motorcycle Larry's two sets of peg adjustments. I know many people on the site love the product Larry makes and it is the direction I am leaning towards to help alleviate my issue. I am curious if anyone else has had this specific "heel pain" and what they did about it. Thanks all. Can't wait for your input.
p.s. the other bikes I have tested my foot pain are a 95 honda vfr, 83 suzuki gs650, 00 suzuki bandit 600.

Belfie

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Where are you putting your foot when you ride? I usually have the balls of my feet on the pegs, not the arches. Did you try putting your feet in different positions on the pegs to see if that is causing your pain?

OP
OP
Belfie
Bike
ST1300 vfr750
I forgot to mention I'm 5'7" with a 30" in seam. Thought that might be relevant.
I have always ridden wherever my feet landed naturally on any of my bikes. I have tried the balls of my feet to change the position on the ST and my knees then start to hurt. Maybe it's my short arms or lack of an extended riser to push me further back while riding on the balls of my feet.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
How many miles did you put on the bike before installing the riser?

--Mark

OP
OP
Belfie
Bike
ST1300 vfr750
Maybe about 5k. I had originally thought the foot pain was from the old crappy boots I was wearing.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have ridden/owned various size bikes since 1962. The only pains I can attribute to a bike is right hand pain and cramping on long trips. Fixed that with throttle locks.
My left hip has started giving me fits...pain and sometimes numbness. Highway blades on the ST1100 have given that significant relief. I rest my left foot in front of the blade when the pain begins and it abates for a half hour or so. Dr says it's a gift of advancing age.
Long way around to it, Belfie...how old are you?

OP
OP
Belfie
Bike
ST1300 vfr750
I will be 34 at the end of the year... I got the ST because I love my vfr with 92,000 miles on it, but my wrists are no longer happy with her lol.

OP
OP
Belfie
Bike
ST1300 vfr750
I would be much more ok with the foot pain if it happen on all my bikes. But it's only on the ST. That's what's got me perturbed lol. I still ride the other bikes quite often so I am reluctant to see the issue as me getting older.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I would be much more ok with the foot pain if it happen on all my bikes. But it's only on the ST. That's what's got me perturbed lol. I still ride the other bikes quite often so I am reluctant to see the issue as me getting older.
I can't see what would be causing that heel pain that may be bike related. My first thought was tendon or ligament issues, but the seating position on the ST is not as severe as that of a sport bike. Maybe a trip to your Dr?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi Belfie:
I am 58 and taller than you, but my ST seemed to make everything hurt when I got it in Nov. 2015 after 25 years away from bikes. So...here were the problems I had and the steps I took to address them (hoping there is a nugget in here for you):
1) shoulder, neck and wrist pain - MCL Gen-3 risers;
2) hand tingling, numbness and pain - Shock-Tek carpal tunnel riding gloves (awesome and low cost);
3) hip, knee and ankle pain (really quite bad) - MCL fixed (NOT adjustable) foot peg lowering kit.
Each of these problems was a big deal to me and each of the above solutions proved to be effective and sustained. I guess the thing to note is that human body is a system and so pain in one place may actually be caused by a problem elsewhere. Thus, your foot issue may actually be caused by a knee problem or even somewhere else.

NOTE - the MCL fixed peg kit is, IMHO, a good product, but the adjustable kit has caused many forum members a lot of grief.

Anyhow, I hope you find a solution to your foot issue soon because the ST really is a great bike.

Pete

PS - your foot pain isn't being caused by engine heat is it? The ST is a well-known foot, calf and nut-cooker.

OP
OP
Belfie
Bike
ST1300 vfr750
Oh, my vfr did plenty of nut cooking, and crushing. Lol. I find that I can go longer if the seat is in the highest position. But then I have issues reaching the ground, even if I one leg it. I mean she's a big girl at 800lbs and change. So one legging it isn't always my favorite thing to do.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Are you using the stock saddle? one of the custom saddles might change how you sit, which could ease or make worse...

OP
OP
Belfie
Bike
ST1300 vfr750
Stock saddle. An aftermarket saddle is quite an expense to go through if my feet still hurt after.

Byron

STOC #
Have you ever had your feet examined for the possibility of a floating bone spur? It seems the ST is your heaviest bike and maybe the extra weight is aggravating your heel.

I'm curious why you felt the riser was needed. I also have a 30" inseam and ride with the seat set on medium front and low rear setting and stock bars. I also ride it more like a sport bike than a cruiser.

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
Some people have changed to Goldwing foot pegs for more arch support and foot comfort. The GW pegs are wider front to rear than the ST's.

OP
OP
Belfie
Bike
ST1300 vfr750
My bike prior to the ST was a Suzuki Cavalcade... A bit heavier than the st, but with a completely different seating position.

I got the risers to make it more of a standard ride since I still have my vfr to fulfill my sporty needs.

I teach karate and take judo classes 3 times a week with no pain. I'm a machinist so I'm on my feet all day in work boots with no pain. The only time I experience this pain is on the ST if I ride for more than 45-60 minutes. I ride the ST to work almost everyday. 20-30 minutes one way, 30-40 the other. I never feel this pain. I ride about an hour and 15 this morning to meet someone about a bike for a friend and my feet started feeling uncomfortable when I was almost to the meet.

I have read some of the posts on the GW pegs and think this might be the first direction I am leaning towards.

I am very happy to have all of you trying to help. I just want to express that appreciation.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
My bike prior to the ST was a Suzuki Cavalcade... A bit heavier than the st, but with a completely different seating position.

I got the risers to make it more of a standard ride since I still have my vfr to fulfill my sporty needs.

I teach karate and take judo classes 3 times a week with no pain. I'm a machinist so I'm on my feet all day in work boots with no pain. The only time I experience this pain is on the ST if I ride for more than 45-60 minutes. I ride the ST to work almost everyday. 20-30 minutes one way, 30-40 the other. I never feel this pain. I ride about an hour and 15 this morning to meet someone about a bike for a friend and my feet started feeling uncomfortable when I was almost to the meet.

I have read some of the posts on the GW pegs and think this might be the first direction I am leaning towards.

I am very happy to have all of you trying to help. I just want to express that appreciation.
Stick at it Belfie - you'll find the magic formula that works for you and then you and ST will be a mile-cruncher like the rest of us.

Pete

OP
OP
Belfie
Bike
ST1300 vfr750
So thanks to CoopST i have a set of half price fully adjustable foot pegs. They seem to have moved me into a better position. I have used them backwards so to speak for now. They are bringing my feet up and back instead of down. I am curious if anyone knows why there is a left and right to these parts. the left peg now sticks out a full cm further than the right. I am going to keep playing with them and see if i can find a happy position. I was also able to bring the seat position down to the lowest setting so my feet are more firmly on the ground.

Top Bottom