Time to buy new set of PR3

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Have a bit over 9K on rear and 8K on front one. Getting ready for new set. Anybody knows any Sale, Coupons, BOGOF, etc.? :D

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I don't know about any sales, but my last set of PR4's came from American Motorcycle Tires.

There was a cheaper online vendor here in my state, that would have required me to pay sales tax up front. YMMV, etc. Let you fingers do the walking with google.

I never seem to get the tire mileage everyone else gets. But my usage tends to be in bursts on trips. Right now my rear looks fine, but I don't quite trust it to go on a long summer trip. So I'll mount up a new tire, throwing away the last 40% or so, just so I don't have to hassle sourcing and mounting a tire while on the road.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I never seem to get the tire mileage everyone else gets. But my usage tends to be in bursts on trips. Right now my rear looks fine, but I don't quite trust it to go on a long summer trip. So I'll mount up a new tire, throwing away the last 40% or so, just so I don't have to hassle sourcing and mounting a tire while on the road.
:plus1:, my last PR3 rear was down to the side wall carcass after 4.5k miles, by comparision the PR4 GT looks good for at least 8k in my hands with SO pillion, although its not quite so confident in the bends. I now have a no-mar tire changer so I can have fresh rubber for long trips and throw on an used rear for in between times. So far that's working well and I calculate the tire changer will have paid for itself in 4 years, sooner if i factor in not having to source a tire on the road, I had to pay $600 on one occasion:eek:4:

I read good things about http://www.twobrotherstires.com/ for :usflag1:

Last edited:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Is Ernie doing mail/phone order business now, or is it just ride-ins? The web page doesn't have internet ordering, and I thought they quit that...
Yeah looks like they don't do mail order any more :(

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I don't know about any sales, but my last set of PR4's came from American Motorcycle Tires.
I have been ordering from them the last few years myself. Good price and at my door in a couple of days.
The PR4's have lasted longer than PR2's or PR3's for me. I never liked the PR3.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ernie posted awhile back that they were out of the business for the most part and even recommended someone(s) for tire sales.

I only ordered from them once but the service was excellent.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
This supposed to be my 3rd set of PR3 tires. Very happy with first 2 sets. But somebody mentioned PR4 and/or PR4 GT, so I did some research. And I couldn't find, except many personal opinions on many forums, any data that compare PR3, PR4 and PR4GT. Or any tires at all. Generally, my first place to research is Consumer Reports but strangely they didn't do any test on motorcycle tires?!?
I remembers I saw once a graph showing PR3 advantage over PR4 in wet condition but can't find it now.
So, anyone knows a website/page where where they compare these tires? Or tires in general?

Also, the "closest" size of PR4 GT I found is 170/60-ZR-17 - are you sure it fits 1998 ST1100?!?

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Also, the "closest" size of PR4 GT I found is 170/60-ZR-17 - are you sure it fits 1998 ST1100?!?
This was actually my question. :D
So, I would like to buy PR4GT but the size is kinda off. So, would 170/60-ZR-17 size fit? I used last two PR3 sets 160/60-17 - no problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom