Front Brake Squeel

Bike
ST1300 "Big Red"
Hi guys, first post on any site so i'll try to be thorough with my query. Don't see anything posted that helps me... yet!

Just put new tires on my 2008. I removed the wheels and re-installed them, the local Honda shop mounted and balanced. First work of any kind as I haven't had it long.

New tires installed and had gave it a spin, worked perfect! Took it to work and after about 30 miles started hearing a squeal from the front left caliper. A light (not hard rubbing and not constant but persistent) squeal. Stopped at the Honda shop up the street, too busy to look at it. Rode home 26 miles and by the time I got off of the freeway both calipers were squealing.

Fun ride waiting for the front tire to lock.

Removed the bolts from both sides and inspected. Looked like some shiny metal in the left caliper at the crown of the rotor as if the caliper was too close to the axle. I'm talking the caliper section between the pads. No marking at all on the rotor. The other side has a micro nick like the other side. I know the rotor can't get closer to the axle so I'm confused.

Anybody run into this? Is there a shim somewhere that I didn't notice and let fall out?

Bike
1998 ST1100
My vote is to put it back together, jack the front of the bike off the ground and spin the tire. If something is rubbing, you should find it. Clean the rotors with brake cleaner, maybe they are dirty/oily and squealing, it don't cost noth'n to clean them. Calipers have pins in them, so that they "float" into position, be sure they can move. Grease on the pins get old and crusty....

Byron

STOC #
Were the pads properly seated into the caliper spring clips on the caliper at the opposite end of the where the pins go through? If not the clips may have dislodged and that is what was causing the noise and metal shavings. I'm going to assume that the wheel spacers were put in on the proper side as well. Long one on the right and short one on the left.

Pictures might help others spot what may be wrong too.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 "Big Red"
I did install the spacers on the wrong sides at first. Rotor hits right fork and won't move.

on the jack it doesn't make noise with the caliper bolts loose but as soon as you get them tight it's there. sounds like brake squealers on a car but Honda shop says bikes don't have them.

I'll get some photos up this afternoon.

Pads look well seated. I'll get some brake clean on the rotors but there isn't really any residue or grit on them that you can see or feel.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 "Big Red"
Sorry, no photos yet. Thought I had it licked per earlier advice.

Pad pins were dry so i pulled it apart and put the special lube on, cleaned the calipers and rotors and not more squeak... on the jack. By the way, these pins are almost completely exposed to weather and show no sign of ever having had brake pin lube on them. Took a ride and after about 150 feet it started again.

I looked more closely and am sure the rotor is touching the thin steel plate that is just above the pads. I think it is there to spring load the pads. Shiny scuff marks are visible.

How the caliper can be bolted back on the mounts and have it lower than it was a few minutes earlier it nuts.

What can i do to re-position the caliper further up away from the rotor?

Byron

STOC #
Sorry, no photos yet. Thought I had it licked per earlier advice.

Pad pins were dry so i pulled it apart and put the special lube on, cleaned the calipers and rotors and not more squeak... on the jack. By the way, these pins are almost completely exposed to weather and show no sign of ever having had brake pin lube on them. Took a ride and after about 150 feet it started again.

I looked more closely and am sure the rotor is touching the thin steel plate that is just above the pads. I think it is there to spring load the pads. Shiny scuff marks are visible.

How the caliper can be bolted back on the mounts and have it lower than it was a few minutes earlier it nuts.

What can i do to re-position the caliper further up away from the rotor?
There is nothing you can do to move the caliper further away from the rotor.

If any of the springs or clips are coming in contact with the rotor then they are not in correctly and need to be repositioned.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 "Big Red"
Thanks, I'll look from that angle. Funny thing is, besides dismounting them I never even had the pads out when I changed tires. Then I put a bunch of miles on before it started the noise. I have to think it is unrelated to the tire change but???

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Are the discs significantly worn, like with a prominent ridge around the outside circumference where the pads do not contact? An excessively worn disc can contact the metal backing plate of the pad(s) when the pads wear down enough. New pads are thick enough to keep a clearance but worn pads allow the ridge to touch the pad backer.

PS Honda doesn't recommend the pad retainer pin be greased. It's not required.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 "Big Red"
Wear is smooth, no ridges. As far as I can tell very little wear at all. It's a 9000 mile bike and I hear some folks are changing pads at 35,000+ miles.

There is a chip out of one about the size of two pencil erasers. Not at the trailing edge where I would expect a rock or something could try to get in there. It's in the middle of the pad at the center edge. Probably should change it on one of the many times I dismount them lately!

Top Bottom