Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
On my second set of Roadsmart 3's, if you're lucky they'll have rebates. Many are using them on FJR's, more neutral handling than PR4's, mileage is very similar. Sidewalls a little stiffer than PR4, not quite as stiff as Bridgestones. I have run several PR4 rears, very good to me. Some have run the Road5's, a bit softer compound so don't last as long. On the ST, keep your pressures up to 42 psi.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I've been getting ridiculously long life out of the PR4GTs on my ST 1300 - in the range of 13,000 km (8,000 miles) from the rear, and almost 20,000 km (12,000 miles) from the front.

I weigh 175 pounds, ride solo, and carry about 50 pounds of cargo in the panniers. Most of my riding is long distance highway trips at whatever speed I can get away with without getting a ticket (in other words, about 15 km/h over the posted highway limit).

Michael
Are you a very aggressive rider Michael? Just wondering because I find 13, 000 KM really low. I am a good 25 pounds heavier than you without any gear on and my type of riding is pretty much identical as I don't commute or run errands with the bike. I don't consider myself a very aggressive rider as I never drag pegs. I always get around 20, 000 KM on a set of PR4's. If I only got 13, 000 KM on an expensive tire like a PR4 I would be seriously p'd off not ridiculously happy.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I think the most I ever got out of a PR4 rear was about 9500kms. Least was 4600kms. Fronts usually lasted about 3k longer. (4-5 sets). I replace tires when they hit the wear bars. Truthfully, that is about what I got out of Bridgestone 020's, Pirelli Angels, and Metzler 01/Z8. In fairness I removed the Metzlers before totally wore out for an upcoming ride so I am speculating on them. Currently giving the Evo T31's a try. The thing I didn't like about the PR4 was the way they wore. They would get triangular with a flattened apex (if that makes sense) when they were about half wore out. Made for handling that I did not like. They also (in my experience) went from wear bars to cords very quickly. I doubt I will go back to PR4's, or the 5's because of cost vs benefit. ie. they don't perform well enough (in my hands) to justify the premium price.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Are you a very aggressive rider Michael?
Not aggressive, but fast on the highways, and my experience has been that speed has a significant impact on tire life.

If I only got 13, 000 KM on an expensive tire like a PR4 I would be seriously p'd off not ridiculously happy.
I guess I'm happy because I only get half that life out of the Michelins that I run on my ST 1100. On that bike, I am aggressive - I keep the bike based in Switzerland, and regularly drag the pegs and the distal ends of the mufflers.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I, too, moved to T-31 GT Spec and so far, so good. I noticed fairly bad cupping, feathering, flat triangular patterns at the end of life on my last set of Angel GT's. It felt unsettled in the corners from about 5k miles and up.

The GT Spec T-31 had a lower weight rating compared to a non GT Spec. I wrote to ask why and the reply was...

"The 'GT' spec is not a higher load rated tire it is a tire that is designed to cope with the stresses and heat that the bigger sport tourers put through the tire causing wear.

The advantage that a 'GT' spec tire provides is through combating the tire stress and heat it makes a bigger sport touring bike get better mileage out of the tire than a non 'GT' spec.

I hope this answers your question.
Thanks.

Rory O'Neill
Performance Tire Service Company"

I wonder if heat may be part of the reason some tires appear to wear unevenly after their half-life?

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
I've been getting ridiculously long life out of the PR4GTs on my ST 1300 - in the range of 13,000 km (8,000 miles) from the rear, and almost 20,000 km (12,000 miles) from the front.
Michael
For me, rear tyres have generally been good for around 15,000km, fronts changed at the same time, despite a few extra thou left in 'em. Exception to that was the PR4 front which was good for 20,000km.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Are you a very aggressive rider Michael? Just wondering because I find 13, 000 KM really low. I am a good 25 pounds heavier than you without any gear on and my type of riding is pretty much identical as I don't commute or run errands with the bike. I don't consider myself a very aggressive rider as I never drag pegs. I always get around 20, 000 KM on a set of PR4's. If I only got 13, 000 KM on an expensive tire like a PR4 I would be seriously p'd off not ridiculously happy.
Which Michael - 'spose you mean the other one.

I'm around 90kg (200lb), mostly touring so usually have many extra kg in side and top boxes, and often ride hard. I also often tow the Elite camper trailer (although not with the PR4's).

As mentioned in above post, 15,000km is a standard for me. Some of the OzSTOC members are reporting 20,000km, even 25,000km out of their PR4's, so I was hoping for more than 15,000km. I was pretty p'd off, not some much now as it is what it is, if I sook too much about the cost of motorcycling, I might as well give up.

thekaz

haz gone feral
I think the most I ever got out of a PR4 rear was about 9500kms. Least was 4600kms. Fronts usually lasted about 3k longer. (4-5 sets). I replace tires when they hit the wear bars. Truthfully, that is about what I got out of Bridgestone 020's, Pirelli Angels, and Metzler 01/Z8. In fairness I removed the Metzlers before totally wore out for an upcoming ride so I am speculating on them. Currently giving the Evo T31's a try. The thing I didn't like about the PR4 was the way they wore. They would get triangular with a flattened apex (if that makes sense) when they were about half wore out. Made for handling that I did not like. They also (in my experience) went from wear bars to cords very quickly. I doubt I will go back to PR4's, or the 5's because of cost vs benefit. ie. they don't perform well enough (in my hands) to justify the premium price.
I am getting the same or less but I am a real slider. I have three sets of PR4s for next summer but plan on trying Metzlers or Angel GTs after the IBR ..... How did you like the Metzlers ? and DAM I wish they would make the RoadTec 01 for the front of the ST :(

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Yikes! With that sort of km, I would be p'off. ' Were they PR4's or PR4GT's?
Both. I didn't notice an appreciable difference between the two. Am I disappointed in the mileage? A bit. But it is not like I am getting any better from the others I have tried. Besides, riding, to me is recreation; so if a tire lasts 8,000 as opposed to 15,000, it is not that big of deal to me as long as it does what it is supposed to do. ie. make my rides safe and enjoyable. I look at the cost of motorcycling as a whole and tires are just one component of it. If I spend $300/year more on tires if I use a specific brand, that is really a small percentage of the overall cost of riding.

".....How did you like the Metzlers ? and DAM I wish they would make the RoadTec 01 for the front of the ST ...."

I liked the Roadtec 01 Metzler. Handled good and wore evenly (unlike the PR4's that I had). I used a Metzler Z8 on the front and it worked well with the 01.

What tire pressures are you running with these? New to the bike, new to the tires. I’ve replaced the front, pulling the rear tire off soon. Any help is greatly appreciated !

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I am on my first set of new tires (Bridgestone T31) on my ST1300 after owning it for a few years. When looking at different choices and reading reviews on here , I chose them because they were affordable and I'm OK if I don't get 20,000 km's out of them. We'll see what they give me. They were significantly less cost that the PR4's and I don't think the PR4's are worth the extra cost. I wouldn't sacrifice safety either.
I think 13000 km's is alot of miles and I would be happy with that on my T31's ,but if the PR4's get 20,000kms, then I may consider them on my next purchase. What's your secret Andrew to get that much wear from your tires?
Not everyone gets that excellent mileage though. Air pressure, riding style, outdoor temps, tire manufacturing etc, all play into the life of the tire.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
What's your secret Andrew to get that much wear from your tires?
I routinely get between 18,000 and 22,000 KM (11,000 and 13,500 miles) on a set of tires. The range between that interval usually being determined by how prematurely I change the tires due to an upcoming trip that they do not have enough life left in them to accomplish.

No secret.
Tires are always at 42/42 PSI. As stated I do not consider myself an aggressive rider and I generally do not accelerate as hard as I can unless I need to. When not on a trip I remove everything from the bike except rain gear and a few tools but I don't see that weight making much of a difference overall. When I am somewhere that permits it I hit triple digit speeds but most of my riding is around home so speeds are rarely much above 130 KM/H (80 MPH) as it would hurt the wallet to much.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I am on my first set of new tires (Bridgestone T31) on my ST1300 after owning it for a few years. When looking at different choices and reading reviews on here , I chose them because they were affordable and I'm OK if I don't get 20,000 km's out of them. We'll see what they give me. They were significantly less cost that the PR4's and I don't think the PR4's are worth the extra cost. I wouldn't sacrifice safety either.
I think 13000 km's is alot of miles and I would be happy with that on my T31's ,but if the PR4's get 20,000kms, then I may consider them on my next purchase. What's your secret Andrew to get that much wear from your tires?
Not everyone gets that excellent mileage though. Air pressure, riding style, outdoor temps, tire manufacturing etc, all play into the life of the tire.
Although I don't have specific evidence that I can point to, I feel that road surface is a huge factor here. I drive mainly on smooth concrete and asphalt roads around here, and I currently have 15,000 miles on my rear PR4 - with maybe a few thousand to go. I accelerate aggressively on a daily basis (when I enter the HOV lane, it feels great to see the cages fly by at 80 mph ;) ), and my driving is a mix of commuting and weekend trips

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Some of you all are getting some stupid good mileage on your tires. My PR4's gave me 6k+, but that's only because I did a 4k cross country to Colorado from NC. I have some RS III's on it now, and not sure what I'm gonna get, but only looking like 3-4k. I'm not really aggressive but I live in eternal twisties. IMO, if you get 8-10K miles on a set of tires, count your blessings. I have a set of PR5's on the ZRX, and I don't think they make an 18" for the front (ST).....that I remember seeing. Those PR5's cost me $365 delivered!! 120/180/17's. Not sure what happened to online buying, but out of 3 sites I use to buy tires from, now I pay tax and shipping!!! The PR4's that came with my ST are still the best so far. Others were Shinko 011's, never again!, RS II's and III's. Won't buy them again either. I feel the "dark side" coming :biggrin:

Top Bottom