Riding position question and clues needed

Bike
2003 ST1300
Thanks bkra13. Yes I have tried all of the seat height combinations. The jury is still out on the Corbin I just got. The first ride was not that great, but I am going through the adjustments now to see what works best. The Corbin I have is the driver's seat only. I have the stock pillion seat behind.

SO tell me. DO you sit up against the tank mostly or back away from it towards the rear of the driver's seat when riding?
Day late and a dollar short, but... I have no "set" position. I move around as situation/comfort dictates. I'll move forward in the twisties and in the city, I'll move back on the hwy or longer stretches, or not. I'll sit on the back seat after a few hours just to stretch my back/legs.. lol. I've got grip tape on the tip over covers to keep my legs in place (too cheap to buy the fold out pegs), I'll put my feet on the rear pegs, stand up, sing, dance, stretch, whatever (love my throttle lock). The one downside I did find to the corbin (and this has been mentioned about them on all bikes) is that they do lock you in more than other seats. That wide tractor seat only really has one good riding spot. The Sargent is a little more forgiving in that regard, but I wish it was a little firmer.

probably not helping any.. ;)

Oh, and I also use the beadrider in hotter weather. Amazing how much air it flows, helps immensely with swamp-butt. Not to mention that you won't be sitting in a puddle during rain either. And a sheepskin pad for cooler weather. Still haven't tried the sheepskin on top of the beads yet. Maybe some day when I'm feeling frisky...

Bernie

Last edited:
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I wish I had all the money back that I spent on numerous other cheaper seats before I had a RDL made for me.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Day late and a dollar short, but... I have no "set" position. I move around as situation/comfort dictates. I'll move forward in the twisties and in the city, I'll move back on the hwy or longer stretches, or not. I'll sit on the back seat after a few hours just to stretch my back/legs.. lol. I've got grip tape on the tip over covers to keep my legs in place (too cheap to buy the fold out pegs),
probably not helping any.. ;)
Bernie...I like the MCL foldouts. My problem is a left hip that loves to cramp or hurt like *##$% after a bit. Can't hold my feet comfortably on the front of the wing at highway speed. so...I bought a set of MCL pegs. On trips I tighten them down so they don't retract, slip on a short section of black foam pvc pipe insulation for 3/4" pipe and I now have a 'heel rest' and my leg stays extended where I need it. And....it won't scratch up my boots. Secure the foam with pull ties.
Could have done it LOT cheaper with an aftermarket clamp on passenger peg, fresh from China, and a little carving on my tip over cover. But, I didn't think of that until I was installing the MCL set.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Does anyone use bicycle shorts for their longer journeys?
I use athletic short (synthetic and slight compression) but never tried it with actual biking shorts on. I might have to give it a try on the upcoming trip. The biking shorts take up more room in your luggage with the chamois pad in there.

ohh.. don't spend big bucks on compression shorts, get them cheap anywhere. I've tried big name and generic, haven't felt or seen a difference. On bicycle shorts it can make a difference.

Last edited:
Bike
'05 ST1300 "STinger"
I always felt like the seat was pushing me into the tank. I finally put the rear of the seat in the lowest setting and kept the front in the middle setting. It's made a world of difference. Now I can ride much further as comfortably as the stock seat can be.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I've used them, and will take them along to my upcoming MN to NC to Ottawa back to MN trip. But... only for the longer freeway days (8hrs or more, 500+ miles). They really do help spread the load, but they also get really warm on hot days, and on shorter rides/days where you're not on freeways they're not that necessary since you (I) tend to move around a lot more on backroads. Otherwise the ExOfficio's work just fine.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I always felt like the seat was pushing me into the tank. I finally put the rear of the seat in the lowest setting and kept the front in the middle setting. It's made a world of difference. Now I can ride much further as comfortably as the stock seat can be.
yup, this is usually where mine ends up - actually seems more neutral than same setting front and rear. I tried the highest front and lowest rear settings, but that puts you back in a bucket again.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Yep. Though I have to say, my "longer" journeys have been only a day or two of riding in a row, @ 10 - 14 hours total duration and probably 2/3 of that actually in the saddle.

Not exactly IBA rally standard.

And I was still mighty glad to get off the saddle at the end of the day.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I'll further applaud the Russell Day Long seat. Had a stock and a Corbin and hated them both. I also use a Beadrider in the summer only for maximum circulation around the tuckus. I use those in combination with Goldwing pegs, Gen 1 MCL Highway pegs, Gen 1 or 2 Helibar riser plate and LD riding shorts. Works for me with the longest ride being 22 hrs & 1524 miles.

I lucked out and bought a used RDL from a forum member that had pretty much the same body measurements as I did.

Good luck!

Skip

Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
+1 on LDComfort. I tried the bike shorts also and the LD stuff was better for me. Plus you can hand wash them in a sink and they dry pretty quickly.
6'-1" and 225 pounds with 34" inseam. Russell Day Long made for me this year - BIG improvement! Also have the Heli gen-3 risers stacked on another brand (can't remember - not MCL). Feel like I'm being pushed to the tank a little, so I'm about to try the middle front / lowest rear seat position. I can ride 18 hours with only stops for gas and such with complete comfort. Speaking of comfort, invest in the LD Comfort shirt and shorts for long hot days in the saddle - makes a BIG difference.

Sing to the one who rides across the ancient heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky. Ps 68:33

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
+3 for LDComfort shorts. I'm an early adopter (+15 yrs/150K) and unsolicited testimonialiST.

Edit: their 'Roo-Fly' is brilliant!

John

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I am six foot tall with 34" inseam. On my third ST1300. I keep coming back to the ST1300 for every reason except the seat. Still have never found the seating combination that is really comfortable for more than an hour or so.
Good info here.

The "Butt'r" referred to in the article can also help.

OP
OP
milkmaster
Bike
2006 ST1300
Going to give this a try for a while and see if it works for me. Provided free of charge by a member here. I am hopeful for positive results.

Attachments

Bike
Pan 1300A
:slv11:Funny this thread I am taller than you 37" inside leg and don't have any trouble with standard seat(I am skinny) I do find my knees are up against the fairing and get warm on the Left side (I have insulated the area with reflective sheet)...
But what I do find and I think it has been said elsewhere I sit on the bike slightly off centre to the left...The bike tracking has been checked and has the frame it has had a tip-over before I got it on the right....Also being his tall the gearchange and brake pedals have had to be set up as my feet point down.......There is always something?????:eek:4:

Top Bottom