FI light came on:

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
Started my ST this morning and the FI light stayed on. I had never had this before. Shut it off and started it again and it when off and then came back on. From what I can understand this is the equivalent to the check engine light in your car. Bike seem to run fine all the way to work. Is there a code reader for bikes like there is for cars? What are possible causes for the FI light to come on?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
With the bike in neutral, key on, idling or not, extend the kick stand. The FI light will blink out the code.

-Jeff

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
As Jeff says, in neutral and kick stand down, you'll get long flashes (probably two) then a number of short flashes (probably five or six). That would be a code 25 or 26. Go from there to diagnose your problem. I'm still trying to figure out mine. Got so disgusted I bought a new-in-the-crate 2012.

OP
OP
mrflexicoil
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
Now I know where to start. Thanks guys. I will get back to you when I have done more digging

Bike
ST1300 -2
STOC #
Hi mrflexicoil, I understand this is quite a common fault with the RH knock wiring as it leaves the sensor & passes through a support bracket,The engine heat ,vibration & its positioning close to any road muck all help it to short,intermittently,to earth or even open circuit giving you the FI light.Had it on my 2002 13.Ed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrflexicoil
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
Okay, now I have determined that I have a two blink situation. Which according to me code chart is a MAP valve problem. I have copy of a service manual and it tell me to use test harness 070MZ-0010100 which is harness to plug into the ECU harness and test for voltage. Has anybody found this harness or something that will do the same job as this harness?

Hi all. The FI comes on with summer ethanol fuel blends. Try a different brand: In CA Chevron and Shell keep light off, any other hit and miss. Oh, on foggy or damp AMs (I live near ocean) more likely to come on for a while. Guess related to O2 sensing altered density of intake air. Ride my '06 St 12-14K miles per year and if I use any off-brand gas or "no-name stations" in small towns, light comes on--I ride a little gentler until use up gas bought and fill with one of two brands noted above.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I will have to respectfully disagree with the "different fuels" theory.
Remove the airbox assembly, and pull the 5 lines and plastic tee, clean out the tee with a pipe cleaner, and replace the lines with new hoses.
While your in there, do a TB sync, and I bet your FI light issues go away with any fuel.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Yeah, I don't buy the different brand of fuels theory. I've ridden my ST 150K+ miles and bought gas wherever I could find it, sometimes some pretty foul smelling stuff, and never had an FI light as a result. Nor do I buy the foggy morning theory. I live right on the coast and commute through all kinds of foggy conditions, no FI light. Something else is setting it off.

OP
OP
mrflexicoil
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
I still get this F1 two blink problem but it comes and goes. It was on steady for a while and then it is of for awhile.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Two blinks is the MAP sensor. Check the plumbing up top and the sensor itself. You could be seeing altitude changes that push it into a state where the ECM no longer believes what it's reading.

--Mark

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
You'll get two blinks with the side stand down and the transmission in neutral. It'll change to steady when you raise the stand. I guess Honda doesn't want you trying to count the blinks whilst underway. As mentioned above, 2 blinks is a bad MAP sensor (unlikely) or a problem with the various vacuum lines that attach to the MAP sensor (likely).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have seen lots of references to cleaning the vacuum hoses and tee or "mouse" as I've heard it called. But I can't find any diagrams as to what to look for after raising the tank and pulling the air filter assembly. Anything out there?
After you remove the air filter housing and are looking at the throttle body, it's the tiny plastic black T as seen in the picture.

The throttle body sync article here has some info on it also as it has to be unplugged to do it.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Do not simply pull the lines off and try and clean out the 5 way tee, or you will create vacuum leaks. The hoses will be egg shaped with a memory from the fitting.
It would be better to remove the lines completely and replace with new hoses. While your doing this, do NOT extend the hoses further forward, or you will be creating a "kitchen sink trap" for more crap to clog up, and be taking it all apart again to re-clean it sooner than later.
I re-route the line from the map sensor switch straight forward (above) all the other hoses, instead of down below all of them. This allows the Tee to be above the TB nipples and allows everything to drain instead of clog etc.
I find making the hoses just about a quarter of an inch longer than factory works best, and stands the Tee up like a spider.
Make sure you have a JIS driver to remove the air snorkel bases, or you'll be buying new hardware etc.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've never heard that 5-way T called a "mouse". When someone talks about mouse damage in the same area, they are talking about a real mouse that has set up housekeeping there and has chewed those vacuum lines or more commonly the wires in the fuel injector harness.

Top Bottom