Rear brake pads replacement

Bike
2019 Tracer 900 GT
I am replacing the rear brake pads. I have them in and am putting it all back together. I am having a problem reinserting this rubber boot. The question I have is, how do you do it?

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The pointier end of the boot (left side in your picture) should be inserted through the caliper from the inboard side and then the caliper needs to be attached to the rest of the assembly.

The way I usually do it is pull the axle out far enough for the whole thing to be freed up and leave the caliper in place.

--Mark

OP
OP
BigBrownsFan
Bike
2019 Tracer 900 GT
That is good information. But I didn't remove the caliper nor the axle. Is it critical to reinstall?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yes! you must have this grommet in place for the caliper to slide and float on, or the brakes will lock up.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
The only thing I've ever disassembled from that rear caliper is the Pin that holds the brake pads in.
Have no idea what that rubber boot is for. Never taken it off.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you get online any of the parts diagrams will help it make sense. The solid part plugs into the caliper body, and the sliding dowel slips inside the female part. You will find two sliding pins on the rear caliper assembly. One is bigger than the other.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
You'll have to separate the fixed part of the caliper that hold the pistons from the floating part put the bushing back into the pin and reassemble, not a big deal but as others have said it should not have come out, is it damaged ?

When you reassemble put some high temperature caliper grease on the pins

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You'll have to separate the fixed part of the caliper that hold the pistons from the floating part put the bushing back into the pin and reassemble, not a big deal but as others have said it should not have come out, is it damaged ?

When you reassemble put some high temperature caliper grease on the pins
Make sure its rubber friendly HT caliper grease.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have been using sil-glyde from NAPA on the caliper boots with success.

It will not cause swelling of the rubber boot.

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Hah,, I did the same thing today. When removed,, I found the right hand side of the rubber pin boot (as pictured) is missing. Also,, the back surfaces of the worn out aftermarket pads show they were mislocated at some point,,, ie: two distinct contact positions for the pistons on one side,, and the fixed caliper on the other. It never ceases to amaze me when I discover work done poorly by PO's and their elected dealerships. I will get the boot on order tomorrow. Cat'

[h=2]BOOT, PIN BUSH (NISSIN)[/h][FONT=&quot]45132-166-016

[/FONT]

I pulled it out. I thought there was a bolt head under it. I know, pretty dumb!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom