GPS the Android Way

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Nice write up. Once my present Garmin 478 dies, I think I'll go with a smartphone as GPS. I started experimenting with an android phone (Casio Commando or some name close to that) and Locus software/maps on my dirtbike for handling tracks. It worked well enough on a trip to Baja that I'm going to conetinue working with it. I use a Samsung S5 as my cell phone and will probably convert it to a gps in the future. Thanks for all the tips.

v8-7

Site Supporter
I like the intelliskin set up and may pick one up.
Did you mount it to your bike with an X-mount ?

Got caught in a frog choker today on my bicycle and the water got in my s5 s' audio output jack .
This shorted the headphone connection making the phone think it had headphones plugged in and killed the audio out.

Not a big deal , as I blew out the water and it worked ok after that.

However, the intelliskin leaves the audio jack open ( by design) , so we may want to find a way to plug the audio jack in the future .

OP
OP
Blrfl

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I like the intelliskin set up and may pick one up.
Did you mount it to your bike with an X-mount ?
The dock has holes in the back that will take any common RAM diamond plate. Once that's bolted on, everything else is standard RAM parts.

I thought about doing an X-Grip before the GDS stuff appeared, but it doesn't provide a way to power the phone. Qi wireless charging was a possibility, but there really wasn't anything I could do with that and an X-Grip that was going to be weatherproof and non-kludgy. I wrote National Products some time ago and suggested that they make an X-Grip with a built-in Qi charger but never heard back.

However, the intelliskin leaves the audio jack open ( by design) , so we may want to find a way to plug the audio jack in the future .
Mine's mounted landscape (pictures here) and behind the dash, so the jack shouldn't see as much water as one that's out in the open and mounted with the jack facing up. Either way, a couple of dollars will get you a bag of plastic dust plugs that'll keep the water out.

--Mark

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Buy it Again
RAM RAM-GDS-DOCK-V1U RAM- Unpkd Ram Vehicle Gds Dock Phones 0MH96
Sold by: Mp3Car Store
$47.99
Condition: New
A good deal, thanks for pointing it out. While on the page I noticed another deal. For $40 less, given Amazon's generous return policy, I'll take this one instead. In fact, I took a few of them. Car, bike, figure I can adapt one to use at home, bedside stand. I figure folks probably bought them not realizing they needed the skins and the and the RAM mount, so they are being returned untouched. I'll find out in 5-8 days.

Bike
2001 st1100
I'm using my note3 as a gps. I bought the zerolemond 10,000 mah extended battery. With this battery I don't have to worry about any connections during the ride, it can last up to 2 days. I downloaded the HERE off line gps apo. Gpa problem solve for free(this is my old phone).

OP
OP
Blrfl

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I bought mine from GPS City, who were a bit cheaper, but they didn't have the skin in stock so I canceled that and got it from Amazon.

But yeah, $10 for a refurb is a steal. Grabbed an extra.

--Mark

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
If anyone is interested in using a GPS for walking, hiking or off road/trail/4wheel riding, my wife & I use our Android Galaxy S3 phones.

We use Back Country Navigator www.backcountrynavigator.com as an app.

We are presently using German open source Android compatible maps downloaded into the phone. The maps are accessible thru the app. Downloading the maps allows us to use minimum power when hiking. Just turn on the GPS & shut down all the other apps.

There are a variety of trail maps & some city maps available via this app. The open source maps are free & a donation is requested.

We have now logged over 45 hikes using this app with only one minor inaccuracy w/ a trail marking. We have used the app & maps extensively in Colorado, Utah & the Alps in Austria.

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I put gorilla tape over the earphone hole so water doesn't get in. Had the same problem as you. Also taped over the other hole in the top. Easy to remove when done on the bike.

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
So, are you able to plan and execute new routes when you do not have either wi-fi or cell phone service available?

Ray

OP
OP
Blrfl

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
So, are you able to plan and execute new routes when you do not have either wi-fi or cell phone service available?
Yep. I have 100% coverage of the U.S. and Canada installed on the phone. The only things CoPilot needs access to the Internet for are map updates and the traffic service if you're using it. Sygic and a handful of others do the same thing.

--Mark

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Yep. I have 100% coverage of the U.S. and Canada installed on the phone. The only things CoPilot needs access to the Internet for are map updates and the traffic service if you're using it. Sygic and a handful of others do the same thing.

--Mark
100% coverage - does that mean your phone is communicating directly with satellites?

OP
OP
Blrfl

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
100% coverage - does that mean your phone is communicating directly with satellites?
Map coverage.

The satellites have nothing to do with the maps; they transmit one-way signals that the receiver in your phone uses to figure out where it is.

--Mark

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Map coverage.

The satellites have nothing to do with the maps; they transmit one-way signals that the receiver in your phone uses to figure out where it is.

--Mark

That's nice! So with the maps installed you could be in a cave somewhere without cell phone coverage and without satellite signals and you could have the phone plot a new route from your current location to a new location?

OP
OP
Blrfl

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Yep. It's all just software and data, no different than what's inside a dedicated GPS unit.

Although GPS coverage in caves probably leaves a lot to be desired, so good luck navigating your way out. :)

--Mark

Top Bottom