GPS the Android Way

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Thx for the write up. Was just looking for a data free solution for Europe. Looks like CoPilot could be the ticket!

Thx for the write up. Was just looking for a data free solution for Europe. Looks like CoPilot could be the ticket!
There are quite a few free/paid gps apps which don't require a data plan. advrider.com has some pretty detailed threads on pros and cons of each. I've been using OsmAnd and love it.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I know this is an older thread...

how is the GDS stuff holding up? Anyone have any issues to date?

I use my S5 as my GPS and like the idea of the GDS but with the skin and mount at about 40 each right not I don't know if I will end up changing from my X-grip with USB cable plugged into phone.

Also, a few people are using different APPS on there phone for GPS routing without a cell signal available... Any issues with any of the stated apps?

Appreciate the updates,

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I bought 3 mounts and one skin. A mount for the house, one for the car, one for the bike. One mount is not charging, I think a broken cable (going to re-solder it with a USB direct and remove the pigtail), otherwise it appears to still be pretty good.

Two issues I have:
1: The mount only passes straight USB 2.0 You won't get an MHL connection through it (at least not on the Galaxy 5).
2: When I travel (fly or by train) I have to switch back to my old case. That is not the pain so much as the slightly degraded response from having two screen protectors. I'm not taking the mount with me and trying to use it on a plane or at the hotel. Plugging in a direct USB cable is much easier in those environments.

Otherwise.. I like it. Convenient for the car and the bike. The skin is just thin plastic but so far has prevented any broken parts and pieces. I did add a tempered glass screen on top of my phone.

The micro USB connector has a designed lifecycle of 10,000 connections. Plugging/unplugging your phone 4 times a day will still give you a projected life of 7 years.
Worth $80??? Probably not. I'd spend $35 on the Defender case and mount the belt clip holder to a ram mount and buy a nice USB cable with a right angle connector.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I've been using google maps on my work phone, but, apparently, according to my boss, I'm exceeding my allotted amount of Data. Probably because I'm also running Pandora..... I'd run Pandora off my personal phone, as I have an unlimited plan, but the workphone gets better coverage most of the time for GPS, and the personal phone just won't stay charged enough to run both apps, even when plugged in. My headset won't interface with two phones at the same time(which really kinda sucks) I may have to retire my old trusty Galaxy S4, and upgrade, just for better battery life, and to keep the boss happy. I've loved that S4, locked away in it's LifeProof case, it's taken a beating over the years. The company gives us whatever is cheap, right now it's a K4. Already broken the screen on that one. I'm the guy that crawls in and out of machinery etc, and occasionally the phone will take a spill.
I almost bought one of these a few years ago.....https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/mio-knight-rider-gps/review/
However, having owned a previous MIO unit, the customer service sucked. The one I originally had was supposed to come with the newest mapping, supposedly less than 6 months old. I paid a premium for that, because I needed the latest mapping. Discovered that the mapping was at least outdated by 6 years. Mio was supposed to send me a free update, yet after a year, I still hadn't received it, even with routine phone calls.
Gotta hand it to the company though, it was a tough little unit. I still have it, somewhere. If I ever find it and plug it in, it wouldn't surprise me if it still worked.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
My headset won't interface with two phones at the same time(which really kinda sucks) I may have to retire my old trusty Galaxy S4, and upgrade, just for better battery life, and to keep the boss happy. I've loved that S4, locked away in it's LifeProof case, it's taken a beating over the years. The company gives us whatever is cheap, right now it's a K4.
Would you be able to switch the SIM cards between phones? While needing the GPS you could put your personal SIM in the work phone.

Gerhard

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I have finally found GPS happiness on my ST. Motogoloco for all my route planning and export the route to Copilot. I love Google maps and Waze. If we could get Google to allow you to add waypoints and stick to that route it would be perfect but until then it is Copilot for all my motorcycle routes. I wish Copilot would tell you the street name to turn on. Not a huge fan of "just ahead, turn right" I just finished mapping out an almost 4,000 mile for this summer so I will be putting it to the test.
With a waterproof S7 I don't need to worry about a case, the RAM mount works perfect.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Not a huge fan of "just ahead, turn right"
I think a definition/feature turn-by-turn software telling you the names of the streets. That's a great feature but once in awhile I'm thrown by the software's pronunciation of a street name. Makes me laugh. A couple of times I missed a turn by not deciphering in time what the voice was saying. Then I wasn't laughing as much.

I use an iPhone for my GPS and Maps (Apple) primarily. The next iOS update this fall will include Lane Assist in Maps. I really like that feature. Other nav apps already have it but Maps is so quick to set up that I don't bother with Navigon except for road trips. Even then it's mainly for the speed limit reminders and POIs.

Top Bottom