What happened here?

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Just came back from a 625miles/1000 km trip. Half of it quite curvy.
Avon storm ultra 2 tire was slightly lumpy when I started, but I figured I would get the last out of it, and I did.
I have no idea of the age or mileage of the tire.
(Put a new set of Mich Gt4 on today.
Testride at the end of week...)
I have never seen a tire like this before.
42 psi. Driver mad but not when driving.Light load. Driver 200 pounds.
Preload serviced and set to standard.
Any suggestions?
Stu

Attachments

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
just from look, looks like dual tire compound with soft on outside...which you prob used a lot ! :)

BTW, I think you'll love the Mich 4s... good traction 3 compound tire

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Hard on the throttle when exiting curves? I had a tire like that in 2013 and if I remember right it was a Metzeler.

Gerhard

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Looks like it's swollen! Did you see it off the wheel??

ToddC

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
I had one the same way, on a long WINDY ride across Kansass I was leaned over for so long on riding on the sidewall to compensate for the wind it looked the same dang way a the end. Kinda ticked me off that I wasted a tire riding in a straight line but hey, live and learn it reminds me everyday why I stay out of the middle of Kansass. :)

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
Looks like the results from entering a turn to fast and getting off throttle/on the brake while in the turn, many times.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
That is why I stopped using dual compound tires and use single compound tires like Pirelli Angel GT's.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Angel GT rear is dual compound. Pirelli calls it Bi Compound.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2013/05/article/pirelli-angel-gt-tire-review/

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Yes, it is called a Bi compound, but it was explained by the Pirelli rep that the process is controlled by the steel belts and tension and how they are placed under the surface compound, not by using softer sides, centers, and edges like most other tire companies do. When I switched over to Pirelli's, I found that my cupping and wear patterns on the tires changed a lot, and these tires on MY bike last longer for ME than all the others that I've tried.
I replace my tires when they hit the wear indicators, since tires are cheaper than my hospital co-pay :rofl1:, I know there are folks on this forum that tout many more miles on their brand of tires, however, it should also me noted that they tend to ride them down to the steel belts and core material, trying to get the last few miles out of them.
Dave thanks for posting the motorcycle-USA article, I lost my copy.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Looks like the results from entering a turn to fast and getting off throttle/on the brake while in the turn, many times.
Besides riding style also payload, ambient temperature and geology (thus location) are factors... (Norwegian rock is like 3.5 Billion years old...)
From the wear pattern I'd also suspect the Avon's load rating & rubber compound simply not suitable for the motorcycle weight & riding style at hand... ;-)

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
The steel looks like it is separating or the outer cap is coming off. It was either over loaded, over inflated or just badly made. I would think defective or badly made. I have seen this many times on trailers and lite truck tires that could not handle the weight they where intended to carry. The next step would be the steel tread and cap layer would come off and you would leave a gator on the road along with your bike and yourself. Depending on the miles on the tire, the age and if you installed or the dealer installed you may be due a free tire from someone. Now if this tires was not meant for the ST, then you are on your own. I was given four new tires once when over a period of a year I had two tires separate. Instead of taking a chance I went with a different brand to be safe. Had no problems with the next sets.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
If this was an ST1300, Avon does not recommend their tires for the 1300. I just don't think they can hold up under the torque and weight of the ST13.

-Jeff

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
The AV56 I just changed out on mine looked EXACTLY like yours. For me it was after a 1K trip and yes I checked pressure every day and maintained 42. The Avons had a total of 8,100 miles on them. I switched to PR4GT's. Mine could have been done in when riding with ToddC.....lots of drifting with him. :)

Bike
st1100
the bt023 on the back of my st looked just like the after a 200 mile ride in blazing hot weather .i put it down to the rear shock having little damping left

Top Bottom