Can I use hammock in campsites?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
last couple weeks I started to think about the idea to use a hammock instead a tent for a quick "overnight". Put it on and off is quicker than a tent, less weight, etc. Some people even swear they sleep better in a hammock than a tent.
So, I was intrigued enough to try and find the truth by myself.
Following the recommendations on this forum, as well as 4.8 stars from 1,5K+ people on Amazon, I bought ENO DoubleNest hammock for about $65 in the local Bass Pro store. On my way home a realized it's just a hammock, w/o tree straps, mosquito net, etc. :(
Made an additional stop in local outdoor store to buy the straps and net, and I saw on sale Great Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro for about $70. With straps, with net. Checked the reviews: 4.5 stars from 650+ people on Amazon. Bought!
Last Sunday I strapped the hammock in the local park and was impressed how quick and easy is to set it up. I didn't spend in the hammock a lot of time, no more than half an hour, but it felt comfortable.
So, now I'm looking for a local campsite to spend next weekend "hammocking". But first campsite I found - no hammock permuted?!? I checked on Iowa DNR site - it doesn't say anything about hammock. Checked hammockforum.net - different answers. So I wonder what's the general rule about hammock in campgrounds? I hope I don't need to start looking for a campsite that permits hammock at 6pm to in the area I'm riding? That would be waste of riding time, right? Or you people mostly do stealth overnight?

Also, do you carry both hammock and tent, in case you can't find trees? Last time I was riding through South Dakota, on some southern parts you can't find two trees closer than 100 feet for 50 miles. :(

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I used a hammock all last summer, it wasn't an issue. Sometimes I had to drive around the campground to find a suitable site with trees that would support a hammock. Sometimes during the day I would pull into a picnic site and string the unit for a quick midday nap.
I prefered the hammock over a tent. I slept better didn't have to worry about stones or twigs coming up in the ground. I didn't carry a tent just the hammock

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've never seen a campsite out here in the west that didn't allow hammocks but I do have a question.

What's a tree?

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I think your notion of hammocks being faster to set up and lighter than tents might be a little off. I've pitched my tent in time to watch people with hammocks still adjusting their straps. By the time you throw in the straps, bug netting, under quilt and rain fly you haven't gained much in the weight department. Tents need terra firma which is abundant everywhere, perfectly spaced trees........not so much. IMO, hammocks make good back ups to tents but bringing both really defeats the purpose as I tend to be less is more.
Mikes

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I've used hammocks on really warm trips....better than sleeping in a tent sometimes. The only ruffled ranger feathers I've ever seen involved someone nailing into trees for support.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
What's a tree?
If you're in the mountains then its one of those tall things with green stuff randomly attached. At lower elevations its the thing that your forks are attached to.

Top Bottom