Thursday, June 15th - Sunday, June 18th, 2017
----> RSVP <----
We're avid back road riders and campers, we'd love to show some folks around one of our favorite areas.
Get excited for a stay at the mouth of the Million Dollar Highway!!
I apologize that we had to change the date to the weekend prior to previous years. I had to wait to reserve the sites, due to money constraints, and that corner we want to reserve was already taken for our usual weekend. My fault, I really hope people can still come!!
Pictures/video from RockSTOC II: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...eo-and-Stories
Pictures/video from RockSTOC I: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...ures-and-Video
- Ouray KOA
- N38.081032, W107.704329
- 2016 rates: $36.72/night based on dual occupancy (2 tents). $5 per person per night for additional folks. Discounts for KOA members or current military/fire/police (you will have to show ID). These rates will increase slightly in 2017, I will keep everyone posted
- Pets allowed with no additional fee
- Free showers, hot tub, wifi, camp store with the basics including ice and firewood
- Creekside Cafe on site: breakfast 7:30-10:30am, dinner 5:30-8:30pm
- Mesquite BBQ, beer/wine and live bluegrass Friday and Saturday night
We've reserved a smaller number of sites for 2017 due to our income being much lower. They are all shaded and grassy; each include a picnic table and fire pit. There are some tent sites with water and electric available, please contact the KOA for information. The campground is large, wooded, has a creek, is well off the main road and runs along the Uncompahgre River. It's one of the most beautiful developed campgrounds I've seen. Thursday night is paid (attendees will need to pay me back), remainder will be due upon arrival. As people RSVP we will fill the sites I have reserved. Once those are full folks are welcome to make their own reservations, but I strongly recommend you commit early!
- Campground map: http://koa.com/content/campgrounds/o...bfc9572413.jpg
- Campsite share list: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...78#post1960778
- The KOA closes October 1st for the winter. The owners assured us that any messages left on their voice mail would be returned promptly
For those not interested in camping, here are some other options. Please make your own arrangements.
- Ouray KOA: basic camping cabins, deluxe cabins with bathrooms and even a tipi with beds, microwave and fridge. https://koa.com/campgrounds/ouray/si...ccommodations/
- There are many motel and hotel options in both Ouray (5 miles south) and Ridgway (6 miles north)
- Personally I recommend the River's Edge Motel in Ouray: http://www.riversedgeouray.com/
The average high temperature for the end of June in Ouray is 75 degrees, average low is 50. RockSTOC I AND II were warmer than those averages. All of the sites I've reserved have shade all day. Average June rainfall is 1.24 inches. The elevation is 7,800'. Up there the sun is strong and warm. Nights cool off quickly, the campfires will be enjoyed. Be prepared for cooler weather on your rides, you'll easily get over 11,000'!
There is gas available in Ouray, but no convenience store. Ridgway has two more "standard" gas stations with all the usual convenience store amenities.
Loads of dining options in Ouray (5 miles south) and Ridgway (6 miles north) if you're looking for more than campground food. We recommend the Ouray Brewery, The Outlaw and the Goldbelt Bar and Grill, all in Ouray.
This area of southern Colorado has, in our opinion, the most concentrated best riding in the state. Not only are the roads and views spectacular, but the history of the area is fascinating! Plenty of things to do off bike, not limited to museums, mine tours, scenic train rides, hot springs and rafting! You could easily spend a week here and just get a taste of what the area has to offer.
Here are some of our favorite and recommended rides in the area, including .gpx files you can download to your GPS! http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...de-Suggestions
I will have plenty of decals available for everyone again!
A few of our pictures from RockSTOC I
› Site Search for: RockSTOC 3