What have you seen on your TPMS?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Used my Fobo today for the first time. I'm wondering what tire temps and pressures you have seen.

Today's ambient air temp was 74 to 84 (AM to afternoon high), it was sunny, and my rear tire hit a high of 106 F and 48.4 psi (only have the rear wheel connected now).

Do you inflate your tire using a pressure gage or the TPMS to set your desired pressure? I found my bourdon tube gage was .5 psi low compared to the Fobo's sensor.

From other posts the reading might be on the low side....

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
My tire guard tpms doesn't read accurately... it's about 3 psi low as compared to several gages. But it still serves it's purpose.

I've found my front tire runs about 3-5*F above ambient, and the rear seems about 20-25*F above (but I don't check often). I see rear pressure increasing about 3-5 psi, as I recall, but I've not paid very close attention--whenever I look at it, I'm satisfied to see pressures 'typical'.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
My Hawkshead TPMS seems pretty concordant with my tire pressure gauge. I've seen rear pressures up to 50. Don['t pay too much attention to the temps. With such a wide swing in pressures, makes one wonder just how critical a pressure of 42 cold is. And at what cold temp should it be 42. If the ambient temp is 60F and you fill it to 42, that's going to be different from an ambient of 80F. I just don't know how much different.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Hawkshead TPMS seems pretty concordant with my tire pressure gauge. I've seen rear pressures up to 50. Don['t pay too much attention to the temps. With such a wide swing in pressures, makes one wonder just how critical a pressure of 42 cold is. And at what cold temp should it be 42. If the ambient temp is 60F and you fill it to 42, that's going to be different from an ambient of 80F. I just don't know how much different.
Similar experience on all three of my ST1100s with the Hawskhead. I was really surprised the first time I slabbed it a bit and watched the pressures rise. I had to adjust the limits when it sounded an alarm as I did not expect such an increase.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
On the average hour commute, I see a 30? on the front, 40? on the rear. 4 psi front, 4~5 psi rear.

I've taken my rear up/down 10 psi cold. The temp dropped maybe 4? when 10 psi higher start pressure, raised 4? when dropped 10psi from my norm. (Running double dark, average 42 front, 32 rear.)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Without a control it's pretty hard to know which/what gauges are accurate in the first place. I just use the FOBO for ballpark figures. I've elected to go by what the sensors say and call it a day.

I don't ride hard or well enough to worry about how a fraction of a pound more or less changes lateral cornering by how many fractions of a G. I just check it here and there to make sure I haven't dropped a couple of pounds over night or during a ride.

During one ride I noticed the pressure went up about 7lbs and didn't return to normal after parking the bike for a few hours. I didn't pay any attention to ambient air temperature or tire temperature.

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
I have compared my Fobo pressures with 2 gauges and its usually within .5 difference.
I usually will get around 4-5 psi increase. I haven't paid much attention to the temp. I am more concerned about the psi.
I am very happy with the Fobo tpms.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
FOBO vs Orange TPMS, pressure wise are spot on. Temperature variations exist, but internal vs external. Also the Orange sensors are acting as an insulator to the FOBO units.

But pressure wise, they match, and both sound alarm on low.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have compared my Fobo pressures with 2 gauges and its usually within .5 difference.
I usually will get around 4-5 psi increase. I haven't paid much attention to the temp. I am more concerned about the psi.
I am very happy with the Fobo tpms.
+1 to all of the above except I only compared against a single digital gauge. My gauge reads in 0.5 psi increments where the FOBO claims sensitivity to 0.1 PSI. but they are generally within 0.5 psi; I think the FOBO is slightly biased to the "alarmist" side-- generally reads slightly lower than the gauge on cold tires. I have never tried measuring with the gauge immediately after a ride.

On my very first trip after installing the FOBOs (which was also my very first trip with a TPMS of any sort) I saw increases of 7 - 9 psi; the difference between that and my normal day rides is the difference between loaded and empty saddlebags and top box.

STOC #
I had been wondering about these Fobo units, but I think I'll place my order tonight.
As soon as I check for clearance on my brake components (my PC800 has 90 degree metal valve stems).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I got some T-valves with my FOBO but they're steel and pretty heavy. I think I may just go with the ones I got from SlowBoy.

STOC #
Shouldn't be a problem from what I see:

Front Valve.jpg

Rear Valve.jpg

Please excuse the dust on the wheels, I just got in from a ride with the kids. :)

STOC #
Ordered last night (eBay - $99), I'll report back with any findings.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I do have one other question about all these "screw-on" type sensors.
We must be talking about an ounce or two I would assume... is anyone concerned about balance?
Wouldn't it be a good idea for the manufacturers of such devices to provide an equal-weight-stick-on-something-or-other to counter the weight of the new device?
Or am I just overthinking this?

Thanx,
Jim

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
is anyone concerned about balance?
I specifically asked the FOBO people about balance and they assured me it is not an issue. Based on six months of use I agree with them.

The sensors are very lightweight- i think well under an ounce.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The FOBO site states the sensors are 10g. Web Bike World says 10g and 12 with battery. That's about .35oz and .42oz with battery. I'll make sure they're on the next time I get the tires balanced but I didn't bother when I added them.

I also have the T-valves. There's no weight given but I'm sure they're over an ounce. They'll go on at the next change but I'm not looking forward to all the steel weights.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My tire guard tpms doesn't read accurately... it's about 3 psi low as compared to several gages. But it still serves it's purpose.

I've found my front tire runs about 3-5*F above ambient, and the rear seems about 20-25*F above (but I don't check often). I see rear pressure increasing about 3-5 psi, as I recall, but I've not paid very close attention--whenever I look at it, I'm satisfied to see pressures 'typical'.
I can't remember where I saw this and also can't swear to the numbers, but I'm thinking that some time ago I read that if the TP increase after riding long enough (or far enough) to reach a stable pressure, it shouldn't be more than 6psi above the cold pressure. If it is more than that, the tire is under inflated. The reference where I saw this didn't mention temperature increase, but even though temp and pressure are directly related, the increase in PSI is all that really matters.

STOC #
I also have the T-valves. There's no weight given but I'm sure they're over an ounce. They'll go on at the next change but I'm not looking forward to all the steel weights.
Yeah, with the T-Valves I'm sure there is some compensation that needs to be made.
Thanx for the replies guys.

Top Bottom