What have you seen on your TPMS?

OP
OP
Bike
2010 ST1300
I got some T-valves with my FOBO but they're steel and pretty heavy. I think I may just go with the ones I got from SlowBoy.
I did too. But installing them is a bit difficult with the tire mounted on the rim. So I'm adding the FOBO's as I replace tires. And, of course, I could remove a tire, break the bead, and swap out the valve, but, having just had a new Angel GT to play with, I discovered how stiff the carcass is. No way I can use wire ties to mount that tire - and I've heard the PR4's are the same. All this is to say that breaking the bead and trying to install a new 'T' valve stem would be quite difficult with the tires I have on my bike.

Before having a local repair shop mount and balance my new tires, I had considered weighting the sensor and my new valve stem on a kitchen scale (in grams) or a senstive reloading scale (did I really say that?). I had then planned to cut tire weights until one weighed the same and was going to glue it opposite the sensor and new valve stem (minus tthe weight of the old stem). Alas, since the shop balanced the wheel after installing the new stem, Fobo, and tire, this was not necessary.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
...some time ago I read that if the TP increase after riding long enough (or far enough) to reach a stable pressure, it shouldn't be more than 6psi above the cold pressure. If it is more than that, the tire is under inflated. The reference where I saw this didn't mention temperature increase, but even though temp and pressure are directly related, the increase in PSI is all that really matters.
I can vouch that this is a myth.

I intentionally ran my rear tire 10 psi up fr0om normal and 10 psi down. There was more pressure drift when the tire was over inflated (all of 1psi at most). Temperature, was very much different, 6? F consistently higher when under inflated.

This was after 42 miles of highway running.

STOC #
Installed the Fobo's the other night. Fit great, and working perfectly.
Nice investment. I'll put another pair on the ST1100 once I change out to solid valve stems (previous owner has rubber stems, one straight and one angled).

Just my $.02.

Jim

Top Bottom