Interesting read by Road and Track about darksiders

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Quote: "The biggest improvement on wear is that my car tires are replaced when the tread wears out versus when the tire deforms after failure like with the moto tire."

I've never experienced a deformation or failure like this guy claims but then I've never owned a large touring bike either. None of my tires have failed due to a deformation, only wear, even on the ST.

IF the article is correct in stating that touring tires aren't up to snuff on heavy touring bikes, then you would think a litigation sensitive corporation like Honda would jump on the darkside bandwagon as a safety concern and put car tires on the back of the GW as stock rubber. For some reason, I just don't see that happening.
Mike

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I know that when Janis and I are fully loaded with gear on the Wing, and pulling the camper at slab speeds, I don't have to worry about a sudden blowout on the rear, since it's a runflat. Never mind the 30K miles and softer ride or half the price, or the fact that you can get one at any decent tire shop.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
That is a very interesting article and it says a lot about how the auto industry actually works and how decisions are made (i.e. on the basis of money - which actually makes perfect sense). On that issue, while we all whine about why Honda doesn't update the ST or why tires don't last longer - the fact is that the business case for those developments simply isn't strong enough. The vehicle industry is, afterall, a business and not a charity or public service.

The point is that our segment of the motorsport activity is really very small and that means that our "stuff" is expensive.....or that we need to find alternatives such as Darkside tires. I haven't gone that way, but I must admit that the evidence that they are safe, effective and durable is compelling.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't think Honda could mount an automotive type tire/rim assembly on a motorcycle and sell it in the USA even if they wanted to. Under current federal motor vehicle safety standards IIRC Part 49 CFR 571 in part mandates rim and tire requirements on motorcycles. Honda would have to mount a car type rim on a MC to legally mount a car tire and no one has or is willing to do the studies required that show a car rim/tire is safe as a MC rim/tire. This because IIRC MC rims have a different cross section designed to retain the tire bead in place after deflation at speed. Car rims aren't required to show the same performance.

No judgement on my part to fitness of service either way.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Before I got my ST1300 I had a Harley softail Deluxe that comes with Dunlop tires and I always put Dunlop tires on my Harley averaging 10,000 miles on rear 20,000 on front and kind of pricey. A distant cousin who rode the same bike as me was braggin about his new BT tire he just put on and how I should try one-- I did--and got 2,800 miles on the rear as the cords wore thru. I was mad as hell, when I saw cousin again he told me the tire was crap and he got about same miles on his---no burn outs, no crazy manuvers just normal riding.
If getting only 2800 miles out of a tire isn't defective and unsafe I dont know doodley squat. I run the best tire for my money and the safest car tire I can buy from now on.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I know that when Janis and I are fully loaded with gear on the Wing, and pulling the camper at slab speeds, I don't have to worry about a sudden blowout on the rear, since it's a runflat. Never mind the 30K miles and softer ride or half the price, or the fact that you can get one at any decent tire shop.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

So true!! Not to mention how stable it is in the rain.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Interesting, but won't change my opinion much.

Wonder why they just talked to folks and never had any of their testers take a spin on a bike?
But... at least they talked to a darksider.

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Doubtful on legit anytime soon, that article is from Oct 2014. Thought I recognized it.
If it's not being talked about, it certainly won't happen. Was running double dark on the Wing in north east Arizona and got caught in a frog choker on my last trip. Water was ponding on the surface over an inch deep... we went through it at a speed greater than 60 mph and the wing was stable.... pulling a trailer even.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
If it's not being talked about, it certainly won't happen. Was running double dark on the Wing in north east Arizona and got caught in a frog choker on my last trip. Water was ponding on the surface over an inch deep... we went through it at a speed greater than 60 mph and the wing was stable.... pulling a trailer even.
Agreed. I'd be running double dark on my ST1100 if it were simpler to do (AFAIK, need a GL1500 rim and custom spacer).

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Interesting read, and makes me want to give it a try, they made a lot of solid points about the qualities of modern auto tires and the short falls of MC tires...

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I'm a rookie concerning the dark side. On my second tire. About 30,000 miles of experience only. However I don't need to read opinions about it anymore. Been on bikes all my life. Love the car tire. Never going back. Bought more bike tires in my life than most so I know which way I'm going forward.
Thanks to all the guys that convinced me initially.

Top Bottom