Another 28A problem

Hi all

My beloved 95 Pan has stopped charging and I need a bit of help as to ascertain if its the reg/rec unit or the Alt. I've tested the yellow wires and all are showing 1.0 ohm and the black and white wires 4.0 ohm which is correct. There is no continuity between any of the yelllow and the red wires but between the white and yellow it's showing 12.2 ohms. Is this all ok and it's the reg/rec unit thats buggered or the alternator

Thanks

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The Honda service manual states to use only specific meters to test the VRR. Others may not give accurate results. However, there should be no continuity between the yellow and white. Your 12.2 ohm reading at the yellow/white would seem to indicate an alternator problem. You could do a dynamic output test of the alternator by disconnecting the red 3P connector (yellow wires) and with the engine running connect your AC meter - that's AC not DC - variously between the three yellow leads coming off the alternator. The AC outputs shown should all be very close to each other and somewhere above 25 volts.

Just to clarify your testing - your yellow/white ohm reading WAS taken between the wires in the 3P (red) and 2P (black) connectors and not on the VRR?

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
You don't mention each yellow lead's continuity to ground. There should be no continuity. Continuity shows that lead's winding is shorted. IOW, one third of the stator's three windings sending AC to the VRR has failed. Time for the alternator upgrade to the air-cooled 40amper.

If the three yellow leads from the stator pass this (often missed/misunderstood) test, that doesn't mean the stator is OK, it may still fail once the engine is running and heat and or vibration causes an intermittent/constant short. The dynamic test mentioned should be performed (AC readings between each three combinations of the yellow leads).

John

OP
OP
Darren C
The Honda service manual states to use only specific meters to test the VRR. Others may not give accurate results. However, there should be no continuity between the yellow and white. Your 12.2 ohm reading at the yellow/white would seem to indicate an alternator problem. You could do a dynamic output test of the alternator by disconnecting the red 3P connector (yellow wires) and with the engine running connect your AC meter - that's AC not DC - variously between the three yellow leads coming off the alternator. The AC outputs shown should all be very close to each other and somewhere above 25 volts.

Just to clarify your testing - your yellow/white ohm reading WAS taken between the wires in the 3P (red) and 2P (black) connectors and not on the VRR?
I tested the wires by pulling the 6p connector out of the VRR, the VRR wasn't connected. Also I'm getting 12.4v with the lights off with the engine running and 11.5v with the lights on. I don't really understand this 4th output for the field coil as all the bikes i've had before have only had the 3 yellow ac wires coming out of the Alternator.

OP
OP
Darren C
You don't mention each yellow lead's continuity to ground. There should be no continuity. Continuity shows that lead's winding is shorted. IOW, one third of the stator's three windings sending AC to the VRR has failed. Time for the alternator upgrade to the air-cooled 40amper.

If the three yellow leads from the stator pass this (often missed/misunderstood) test, that doesn't mean the stator is OK, it may still fail once the engine is running and heat and or vibration causes an intermittent/constant short. The dynamic test mentioned should be performed (AC readings between each three combinations of the yellow leads).

John
I was thinking the same but I cannot do the work needed anymore as I'm not in a good way health wise and the bike is the only freedom I have now as I'm practically housebound these days.

Top Bottom