13 BMW K1600GTL

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think HD got into this problem because their dealers make it a practice to sell and install HD branded devices that allow a brand new bike to ride off the showroom floor not meeting EPA regulations. What an owner does later to their own bike is still his own business.

HD apparently did not really fight this and knew it wasn't worth litigating.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What does this mean for aftermarket tuners in general or are they targeting only bike producers?
Probably going after the low-hanging fruit- dealers and manufacturers. That doesn't mean that aftermarket tuners are off the hook just off the radar. For now.

If we're willing to ignore the health benefits of reduced emissions for the sake of performance so should everybody else around us! Sissies!

OP
OP
Muchmore

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
I think HD got into this problem because their dealers make it a practice to sell and install HD branded devices that allow a brand new bike to ride off the showroom floor not meeting EPA regulations. What an owner does later to their own bike is still his own business.

HD apparently did not really fight this and knew it wasn't worth litigating.
I always wondered how they could do it. I mean it's one thing to sell a EFI tuner but to brand it HD and set it next to the cash register is something totally different :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
. I mean it's one thing to sell a EFI tuner but to brand it HD and set it next to the cash register is something totally different
As long as there's a little hand-written sign on it say "Off Road Use Only" they should've been good!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
As long as there's a little hand-written sign on it say "Off Road Use Only" they should've been good!
Actually they did assert this defense when agreeing to the settlement. Maybe selling 339,000 of them and only one set of knobby tires tipped the case to the EPA. :D

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Dragging HD kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Maybe they need to reconsider their 1940's engine technology now. Potato, potato, shake, rattle and roll.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Actually they did assert this defense when agreeing to the settlement. Maybe selling 339,000 of them and only one set of knobby tires tipped the case to the EPA. :D
So that's why you see all those hopped-up Harleys on dirt bike trails.:rolleyes:

I wonder if their lawyer could keep a straight face when he claimed they were intended for "off road use only". :-D

OP
OP
Muchmore

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
They still had more than 12 million in aftermarket sales so it seems like a win-win for them.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
From the article...
In a separate statement, the company said it has sold the product for more then 20 years
under an accepted regulatory approach that permitted the sale of competition-only parts
and said it believed it was legal to use in race conditions in the United States.
Yeah, sold for competition-only racing.

dr1954

Rick
Bike
=6= F800gs
Call me weird but I personally like the sound of a HD with stock exhaust. I wonder what the percentage of owners that do not change their pipes. I am betting more than 50% leave the dealership with aftermarket exhaust, air cleaner and some sort of modification to the fuel system. Probably gain 8 horsepower.

Same goes for sport bikes I am sure.

OP
OP
Muchmore

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Call me weird but I personally like the sound of a HD with stock exhaust. I wonder what the percentage of owners that do not change their pipes. I am betting more than 50% leave the dealership with aftermarket exhaust, air cleaner and some sort of modification to the fuel system. Probably gain 8 horsepower.

I give HD credit their bikes are very quiet stock no doubt!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I give HD credit their bikes are very quiet stock no doubt!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Maybe quiet when they leave the dealership, but the first stop-light they can find where someone is enjoying peace and quiet... have to keep those carbs clear, don't want yo overload a cylinder with gas while idling!

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I've seen some things HD dealerships do that I see nowhere else done to new bikes such as installing a custom front end with no front brake, installing straight pipes. These were the most concerning, given laws in place, carb mods are routine.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13

Like you, I like the sound of a stock Harley, but stock exhausts are a rarity. I don't know how many leave the dealership with an aftermarket exhaust, but I think it's safe to say that 90% of them are riding around with aftermarket exhausts. It's like a necessary ritual to join the club.

And the argument that exhausts are modified to improve performance rings hollow for me. HD's are not performance bikes, aren't meant to be and don't become one by adding a few meager horses.

I'm sure many sport bikes have modified exhausts too, but not quite at the percentage of the air-cooled twins.

scootac

Will Ride for Food

I wonder if their lawyer could keep a straight face when he claimed they were intended for "off road use only". :-D
They do all the other times they lie.
Lawyers can do anything when they are paid enough.

But, there's lots of Harleys go off road.
Just not always by choice!

On topic though.... WHY if HD are such great bikes.... do they always need 'enhancements'???
Maybe it's connected to ???

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
it's time to hit up all the HD dealers and buy up the tuners before they send them back! Just think of the money you could make when the HD guys find out they can't get them at he dealer anymore?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
it's time to hit up all the HD dealers and buy up the tuners before they send them back! Just think of the money you could make when the HD guys find out they can't get them at he dealer anymore?
Wonder how many thousands of posts are being added to the by the minute to the discussions by those crying foul?

Top Bottom