Homemade Hydration System

Bike
2010 ST1300
So here is my version of a foot peg mounted hydration system. Simple but effective.
Ashley
What are you using to secure the 'bottle' to the bike? I think you have it resting on the rear foot peg, and is that black sleeve strapped to a tip over guard (Bygdawg's?). Where did you get the hose and bite valve? I saw some on ebay....

Peter

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's an ST1100 so they sure ain't Bygdawg Tipover bars - unfortunately (I surely wish they would fit at ST1100 without a lot of 'bodywork' changes!). :D Good job, my friend. Is the can u-bolted around the rear foot peg?

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300 09 XR650L
STOC #
I need to take some better pics of this. However, I'm leaving in the AM headed to ON-STOC. The black part is a coffee can that happens to be about the right size to hold my Igloo jug. I removed the rubber part of the passenger foot peg and drilled two holes in the can to match the holes in the foot peg. I took a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum stock and cut to fit under the can to reinforce it some. Found some longer SS bolts at the ACE hardware and bolted the can to the peg. Drop the jug in and add a small bungee cord on the back side to prevent jug from bouncing out. The clear tube came from ACE as well and it is tucked under the seat to keep it from flopping and I added a Camelbac drink spout thingee to the end. I need to come up with something to insulate the drink tube but haven't had time. Will report back in two weeks.

Bike
06 ST1300A
STOC #
That's real similar to mine. After you take a drink just blow the water in the tube back into the jug so the next time you take a drink it's not hot water.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Nice Ashley.
The Camelback 90 degree bite valve I bought came with an insulated hose. Camelback stuff isn't the cheapest tho but I've never found that neoprene(?) hose insulator stuff anywhere else. If anyone has I'd like to know about it. Mine is wearing out.

Also - mounting on the left side or right side of bike? I put mine of the left side for 2 reasons - shorter hose run up to my left hand, and less chance of me kicking it getting on/off. However I see most(?) people have them mounted on the right. Left side mount makes it more difficult to put bike on center stand tho - but still do-able

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I need to take some better pics of this. However, I'm leaving in the AM headed to ON-STOC. The black part is a coffee can that happens to be about the right size to hold my Igloo jug. I removed the rubber part of the passenger foot peg and drilled two holes in the can to match the holes in the foot peg. I took a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum stock and cut to fit under the can to reinforce it some. Found some longer SS bolts at the ACE hardware and bolted the can to the peg. Drop the jug in and add a small bungee cord on the back side to prevent jug from bouncing out. The clear tube came from ACE as well and it is tucked under the seat to keep it from flopping and I added a Camelbac drink spout thingee to the end. I need to come up with something to insulate the drink tube but haven't had time. Will report back in two weeks.
When I use a similar system I just blow ambient temp water back into the container then pull a cold slug through. No need to insulate the entire tube.

Advice given to me was to buy hard frozen ice for the morning fill up or top off of the container. Hotel or gas station drink station ice is barely frozen but hard ice lasted me an entire 24 hour plus day in 95 to 106 degree temps.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300 09 XR650L
STOC #
Jeff, I mounted on right side, most I have seen were on that side and I'm right handed and I have cruise control, sooo... Right side. I stole a bite valve off an old camelbak I had lying around so no insulation. I'll figure something out or use the ole blow back method as everyone mentioned.

Dave, good advice on the ice but where does one get hard frozen ice?

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
The Camelback 90 degree bite valve I bought came with an insulated hose. Camelback stuff isn't the cheapest tho but I've never found that neoprene(?) hose insulator stuff anywhere else. If anyone has I'd like to know about it. Mine is wearing out.
Jeff-IIRC I got the neoprene hose off of Amazon. Go there and search for drink hose cover. I have a Olympia jacket that has the water bladder in the back of the jacket and needed the neoprene to cover the hose. I think they even had different colors?

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
t hard frozen ice?
Nothing to do with temperature, it's all in how it is created.

Hard ice is what comes put of most people refrigerators. It is ice that is frozen form the outside in, expansion is limited so the internal part when it freezes it is under pressure. Your home fridge does this. That's the white part you see inside the ice cube. It's denser and harder then the clear part on the outside.

Commercial ice production (like in a drink machine) is made with falling water. The water is recirculated and continuously cascades down a grid wich is cooled below freezing. Slowly the water freezes onto the grid and fills in the holes. Since the ice cube only freezes from one side it is not forced into solidifying under compression. Thus the term, soft ice. Then they momentarily reverse the freeze section and warm the grid, the ice pops out and that is the crash sound you occasionally hear.

But it is all water frozen at (generically) 32?

Blocks of ice will last longer but not get the surrounding medium as cold as smaller pieces of ice.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300 09 XR650L
STOC #
Nothing to do with temperature, it's all in how it is created.

Hard ice is what comes put of most people refrigerators. It is ice that is frozen form the outside in, expansion is limited so the internal part when it freezes it is under pressure. Your home fridge does this. That's the white part you see inside the ice cube. It's denser and harder then the clear part on the outside.

Commercial ice production (like in a drink machine) is made with falling water. The water is recirculated and continuously cascades down a grid wich is cooled below freezing. Slowly the water freezes onto the grid and fills in the holes. Since the ice cube only freezes from one side it is not forced into solidifying under compression. Thus the term, soft ice. Then they momentarily reverse the freeze section and warm the grid, the ice pops out and that is the crash sound you occasionally hear.

But it is all water frozen at (generically) 32?

Blocks of ice will last longer but not get the surrounding medium as cold as smaller pieces of ice.
Learn something new every day.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Jeff, I mounted on right side, most I have seen were on that side and I'm right handed and I have cruise control, sooo... Right side. I stole a bite valve off an old camelbak I had lying around so no insulation. I'll figure something out or use the ole blow back method as everyone mentioned.

Dave, good advice on the ice but where does one get hard frozen ice?
I found it plentiful at gas stations where an 8 lb bag is $2.00 or so, fill up the cooler once in the morning and stuff the rest of the bag in my suit against my chest. A bag would last a tank of gas in 100 degrees F.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Anything sealing the spout and tube to keep out road debris and to keep the tube inserted?
Where the tube passes thru the cooler lid I have a rubber grommet which does the trick. Grommets are easy to find for not much at Lowes, Home Depot etc. On the drinking end the bite valve keeps things clean, mostly.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The fit was so tight I saw no need to seal. We shall see.
If needed the cooler spout could be rounded with a file and some neoprene tubing cove stretched over the tubing and spout like a gaiter over a fork tube.

Top Bottom