Do you use SiriusXM?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
So I have a 550 with the XM30 antenna and it just quit working on my way home from the BRG.
Could you clarify what "quit working" means?

If it behaves like it's not plugged in at all, there could be crud built up on the contacts in the cradle or on the GPS itself, or maybe the USB connector on the cradle has failed. You may be able to plug the GXM30 directly into the USB port on the Zumo and see if it works.

--Mark

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Mark the Zumo doesn't even recognize it has XM I even tried another known good xm30 antenna to no avail. I will try plugging directly to the Zumo though I haven't tried that yet. Thanks Jeff I sent them a message just have to wait to hear back from them. I am going to try my phone for now. I do have the all access plan so I can get it on my computer and phone.

Last edited:
Bike
2015 Honda VFR ABS
STOC #
So I am going to try using my phone on my trip to FLSTOC next week. I hope it works if not I will just use the phone for playing mp3's. I do enjoy having music on the bike.
There's a SiriusXM app that you can play from your phone. I think it's even better than the regular service as you can customize your channels.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Thanks Mark the Zumo doesn't even recognize it has XM I even tried another known good xm30 antenna to no avail. I will try plugging directly to the Zumo though I haven't tried that yet.
I don't know if it's supposed to work when plugged directly into the Zumo's USB port, but it's always worth a shot. If it does, try plugging a computer into the cradle where the GXM30 usually goes. If that doesn't work, either the cradle is shot or the connection between it and the Zumo is bad.

Bought a BMW K16......Sirius radio comes with the GTL pkg.:bmwkick1:
Yeah, but you had to buy a BMW to get it. :D Seriously, I much prefer to add those kinds of things separately so they can be removed when they're no longer useful. How many Gold Wings and K12LTs are still hauling around a couple of pounds and $800 worth of CD changer that holds a tiny fraction of the music you can stuff into a $50 digital player or the mobile phone you already own?

--Mark

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I will be curious if plugging in directly works, mostly because the Zumo needs external power for the XM to work and the power cord plugs into the same port as the XM would if plugged directly to the Zumo. What you could try though is using the auto cradle and see what happens.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have done all the above it just doesn't work I searched on line for similar problems and found that it has happened before and as it was some time ago they were given an out of warranty replacement which Garmin would have done for me if they had any 550's in stock but they don't have any or any parts left for them. So I will just use my phone for now. Which is fine for trips on the highway etc. but not so good where I don't get a good signal. But I have mp3's for that so I will survive I also have an old Starmate that I can install.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I just use my phone, Tune-in for radio stations, Pandora or Amazon prime music, and I think I also have the Samsun music app and Spotify... In most cases it works well. If I'm someplace I can't stream then the few gig of music on my phone gets the duty.
I have T-Mobile and they don't charge your account for streaming, but even when they did our family plan is unlimited data.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I just use my phone, Tune-in for radio stations, Pandora or Amazon prime music, and I think I also have the Samsun music app and Spotify... In most cases it works well. If I'm someplace I can't stream then the few gig of music on my phone gets the duty.
I have T-Mobile and they don't charge your account for streaming, but even when they did our family plan is unlimited data.
That's my plan for now I also have an unlimited plan so the data is not a concern. I have the Sirius app on my phone as well as about 4G of mp3s so I can still listen if I have no signal.

STOC #
I now use the Sirius XM smartphone app on my smart phone and send it via bluetooth to the sena speakers in my helmet. It is simple and reliable. The range is good so even when you fuel up you will not loose signal. In the event you need to go inside the store for a bathroom break or to pay and you go out of range, it will automatically reconnect when you get back in range. Only drawback to this setup is it drains the phone battery fairly quickly. I have my tank bag wired so I just plug in the phone in and all is good. You can listen to the BB King blues channel all day and never miss a lick. Doesn't get any better than that.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I will be curious if plugging in directly works, mostly because the Zumo needs external power for the XM to work and the power cord plugs into the same port as the XM would if plugged directly to the Zumo. What you could try though is using the auto cradle and see what happens.
Yeah, that won't work. The GXM-30 has to be separately powered. The Zumo hasn't enough power by itself and I don't think that mini-USB plug is designed to work with anything other and a re-charger or a computer. When I've had problems seeing the radio, it's always been down to dirty/poor connections at the cradle. The problem has either been where the USB plug is under the GPS or the pin contacts between the GPS and the cradle. I've taken to periodically flushing everything with a good plastic safe contact cleaner. I also load up the mini-USB plug with some dielectric grease when I reconnect it. Seems to be fine for a year or two before I have to do it again (usually on my way to or from a WeSTOC event).

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I tried cleaning the usb port in the cradle as well as the plug from the XM30 it didn't help the Zumo just doesn't see an XM radio.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
us(e)... the auto cradle and see what happens.
+1 BTDT The easy first check.

Like Jeff said, cleaning the Zumo and bike cradle contacts (pencil eraser) has worked for me the few times my Zumo 550 didn't recognize/see the antenna. FWIW

John

Last edited:

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I don't know if it's supposed to work when plugged directly into the Zumo's USB port, but it's always worth a shot. If it does, try plugging a computer into the cradle where the GXM30 usually goes. If that doesn't work, either the cradle is shot or the connection between it and the Zumo is bad.

Yeah, but you had to buy a BMW to get it. :D Seriously, I much prefer to add those kinds of things separately so they can be removed when they're no longer useful. How many Gold Wings and K12LTs are still hauling around a couple of pounds and $800 worth of CD changer that holds a tiny fraction of the music you can stuff into a $50 digital player or the mobile phone you already own?

--Mark
An that is why BMW puts the 2 connectors in the right compartment to add your phone or player, or what ever U have. They think of ever thing. Yes, wired in for ever sound U need.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
A little off topic but after having dealt with Sirius billing department I decided never to give them my credit card information again.

Gerhard

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
A little off topic but after having dealt with Sirius billing department I decided never to give them my credit card information again.

Gerhard
I have been using them for years I haven't had any issues with billing I guess that can happen though.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #

Gerhard

I have used them for years, when you pay with your credit card tell them to remove it from their system, I never leave a credit card with them. The thing that sucks is every year or whenever your term ends you have to call them and renegotiate your contract otherwise they charge you double. But you have to do that with cable too, etc.

Top Bottom