1993 ST1100 ABS ?

Bike
93 ST1100
My 13 yo son and I just returned from a 2500 mile trip to the SW part of the US VIA the CO. Rockies. Great trip!

I hit a swoop in the road and the rear suspension bottomed out pretty hard. Red TCS ABS lights came on. I check for codes tonight. Had a 6 and an 8. I cleared them and drove it. The lights continue to stay on. Now when I check for trouble codes all I get is a long blink, a pause, then another long blink.

On the trip I did disconnect the battery terminals and re tighten them. I also pulled the 4 or 5 abs fuses which were all good. I again reset it and tried again and the lights continue to stay on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start checking?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The long blinks are dividers between codes. The computer can store two codes. If all you are seeing are long blinks, then there are no codes stored.

-Jeff

OP
OP
Bike
93 ST1100
The long blinks are dividers between codes. The computer can store two codes. If all you are seeing are long blinks, then there are no codes stored.

-Jeff
Hi Jeff, I had a code 6 and 8 prior to clearing them. I figured if they were true faults that it would set those 2 codes again. I did see a test where I can test the rear speed sensor by spinning rear wheel and watching for blinks. It seems odd that bottoming out on a bump could take the rear spd sensor out. ECU possibly.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Hi Jeff, I had a code 6 and 8 prior to clearing them. I figured if they were true faults that it would set those 2 codes again. I did see a test where I can test the rear speed sensor by spinning rear wheel and watching for blinks. It seems odd that bottoming out on a bump could take the rear spd sensor out. ECU possibly.
Same thing happened to me when I had my '93. I hit a pot hole and the ABS light came on. I think it must have jarred a connection momentarily. Turning off the ignition and disconnection of the battery would not clear the light. I don't remember what code I had but it was something about the rear modulator. I opened and cleaned all the electrical connectors but the light remained on. Finally I cleared the codes, rode the bike until the initialization (6 MPH) speed was reached and the system re-set itself. I never had that error again.

-Jeff

OP
OP
Bike
93 ST1100
I'll try to test those sensors using this method and maybe check to see if sensor got jarred down. That means that hopefully its not stuck if it slid. Thank you. I'll let you know what i found.

OP
OP
Bike
93 ST1100
I got a blinking light when I spun the front wheel but not the rear. I put the from sensor in the rear and then I got a blinking light so I'm very confident I have a sensor bad. Anybody have one?

Top Bottom