having problem installing clutch basket

I have a 2002 st1100 and have a problem with my clutch slipping. I have replaced the slave cylinder, rebuilt the master cylinder and no help. I dismantled the clutch and found two pressure plate and one spacer were bad. I am replacing the whole clutch and i am having problem installing the the clutch basket. I aligned the four dowel pins and also aligned the spline of the gear but no help. I wonder if anyone has an idea or if anyone run into this kind of problem. The motorcycle has only 30,000 miles and had no problem before. I found the hydraulic fluid was contaminated and thwt is how the problem started and when i took out the friction and the spacers plates they were all wet and i didn't know if this is normal.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
I have a 2002 st1100 and have a problem with my clutch slipping. I have replaced the slave cylinder, rebuilt the master cylinder and no help. I dismantled the clutch and found two pressure plate and one spacer were bad. I am replacing the whole clutch and i am having problem installing the the clutch basket. I aligned the four dowel pins and also aligned the spline of the gear but no help. I wonder if anyone has an idea or if anyone run into this kind of problem. The motorcycle has only 30,000 miles and had no problem before. I found the hydraulic fluid was contaminated and thwt is how the problem started and when i took out the friction and the spacers plates they were all wet and i didn't know if this is normal.
Do you have the shop manual? I have a manual that's good through '99, but still applicable for many things with the '01-'02. I haven't done such a repair so I might not be too helpful.

Peace and All Good

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
If you're talking about the clutch outer unit, which has a gear pattern cut into the leading edge, you turn it counterclockwise while pushing it into the clutch housing to get the gears to mesh.

OP
OP
Do you have the shop manual? I have a manual that's good through '99, but still applicable for many things with the '01-'02. I haven't done such a repair so I might not be too helpful.

Peace and All Good
No i don't but all the info i am getting from all of you is helping.
Hod bless you all!

Bike
ST1100
Hi

Just to be sure we understand each other :)
The gear which mesh with the clutch basket are in fact 2 gears (one behind the other) and they are spring loaded (to reduce backlash).
st1100 clutch.jpg
So you need to turn the both gears to align, then you can push the clutch basket in place all the way.

Good luck

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hi

Just to be sure we understand each other :)
The gear which mesh with the clutch basket are in fact 2 gears (one behind the other) and they are spring loaded (to reduce backlash).
st1100 clutch.jpg
So you need to turn the both gears to align, then you can push the clutch basket in place all the way.

Good luck
I'm not familiar with the 1100, but the 1300 has a similar two piece primary drive gear that engages the clutch basket. On the 1300 the two pieces (gear on top of a gear) are 'connected' by ears that bear on compressive springs. Before you engage the clutch basket, you must stick a screw driver into a slot on the face of the gear assembly and lever the gear closest to you in the direction to compress these springs one tooth. THEN you can slip on the clutch basket. This preload absorbs shock and eliminates the rattle you will get if you don't preload the two gears.

Again, I'm not sure if this is the way the 1100 works - best to get a shop manual.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The ST doesn't have the split primary drive gears, but uses helical tooth gears instead of straight cut. The manual says to mesh the clutch and primary gears together by pushing in and rotating the clutch outer counterclockwise. Then rotate the oil pump sprocket with a screwdriver while continuing to push the clutch outer inwards to allow the drive dowels to engage.

The ST doesn't have the split primary drive gears, but uses helical tooth gears instead of straight cut. The manual says to mesh the clutch and primary gears together by pushing in and rotating the clutch outer counterclockwise. Then rotate the oil pump sprocket with a screwdriver while continuing to push the clutch outer inwards to allow the drive dowels to engage.
Yes it does

Top Bottom