Can I use this tire for a bit more?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
About a week ago a friend of mine, also rides a motorcycle, who knows thing or two about bikes, saw my rear tire and said I shouldn't ride no more, I have to replace it asap - no more life in it. Ok, I said, and start shopping for new tire.
Yesterday, another friend, who also knows a thing or two about bikes, and whom I also believe, said that my rear tire is not sooooo bad, and that I can still ride for maybe even 1K miles. No cornering, no aggressive riding, but there's still some life in it?!?!?
Now I'm confused.
The tire, before this one, was in much worse condition when I changed it, but also it gave up in the middle of the ride and I was towed home - not nice experience.
So, here's my rear tire. What do you think? Can I squeeze couple hundred more miles, until new one arrives?

https://youtu.be/W5Mx6h7tCwI

Thanks.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
My experience with a PR II, wear bars today, cords after a 200 mile spirited ride, cause I thought it would go another 1k. My two brothers have also "thought" a rear would last another xxx miles. It did not.

I now take no chances once to the wear bars. Not worth the risk to get more miles. Order a tire and change it soon. Continue riding, yes, but not too far from home. They go fast once to the wear bars.

Your call, your bike, your risk, you asked. Change it sooner than later.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but there's still some life in it?!?!?
I'd say more like life support than life but I'm a little nervous like that. First is that just cupping with those long raised edges or is that some sort of tread separation? If just cupping I'd ride the tire maybe not quite so gingerly as suggested until your new tire gets here. I've ridden a tire with far less tread (not intentionally) with no ill effects. My riding wouldn't put even a couple hundred miles on that tire while waiting three or four days for a new tire so I'd ride as needed.

If it's some form of tread separation I'd wuss out and not ride.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. :bow1:

New set of PR3 already ordered. And ST is "retired" until new tire arrives. :)

P.S. I was thinking to order PR4 GT but wasn't sure about the size. I used PR3 160/60-17 - it's ok. But the "closest" I can find for PR4GT is 170/60-ZR-17. Is it still ok?

Thanks.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. :bow1:

New set of PR3 already ordered. And ST is "retired" until new tire arrives. :)

P.S. I was thinking to order PR4 GT but wasn't sure about the size. I used PR3 160/60-17 - it's ok. But the "closest" I can find for PR4GT is 170/60-ZR-17. Is it still ok?

Thanks.
Good call!!! It's dead! Can't go wrong with the pr4,

ToddC

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
When your new tires arrive, take a box cutter and cut across your old tire and you will see just how close to a hospital visit you may have been.
Every time someone tells me "your tires fine for another 1000 miles" and then we cut it open, they are amazed at how little tire they had left.
Unless you want to risk a co-pay, tow bill, or being stranded someplace, replace your tires when the touch the wear indicators! Not when you can no longer see them.
Don't ride next to the person who said they were fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Proper size for the 1100 is 160/70/17
I know that. But there is no PR3 in tis size so I took "next size" 160/60-17. Except the bike is about an inch lower - no difference. Same think for PR4. Next close size for GT is 170/60-17. I think it should work but it's good to hear more experienced people. :)

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
When your new tires arrive, take a box cutter and cut across your old tire and you will see just how close to a hospital visit you may have been.
Every time someone tells me "your tires fine for another 1000 miles" and then we cut it open, they are amazed at how little tire they had left.
Unless you want to risk a co-pay, tow bill, or being stranded someplace, replace your tires when the touch the wear indicators! Not when you can no longer see them.
This is really good idea! Thanks, I'll do that for sure. :D

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
I have to agree. Your tire looks like did a lot left leans over those miles. And please clean the bike while your waiting. She is not feeling "The Love". Then again I am the nut job that waxed the underneath of his front fender when I took the wheels of for a tire change. In my defense the fender was off. Why would you not do that ???????????????

Top Bottom