National Parks ripoff?

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I don't get it, if you think you aren't getting value just don't go. Why does it matter to you that the money stays in the park system?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's an entrance fee and they have no way of knowing if you're staying 5 days or just driving/riding through. I routed a couple of us on a similar trip and we just stayed at a campground one night but had to pay the fee then find a campground that had a spot. That was my issue and I won't ever used that particular park system for an overnight stay only. You don't have to pay, you can turn around and re-route somewhere else, that is the choice... We chose to just eat the cost and consider it a donation to a great park, I don't donate as much as I should and it was still cheaper than most KOAs which are nowhere near the scenery.

As for folks flaming others for an opinion, careful, I love to zap those posts...

Went thru Big Bend a few years back with Dinkie & ACL. We all had to pay to get into the gate. Same at Arches too. When I turned 62 I got the senior pass. Went to Yellowstone last yr. I would have paid the $25 bucks as it is worth every penny :yes:

Bike
None
STOC #
As for folks flaming others for an opinion, careful, I love to zap those posts...
According to Wikipedia, "flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity". My simple (not hostile or insulting and containing no profanity) suggestion that drrod should have thought about what he wrote before he posted it apparently rose to the level of "flaming" in Joe's mind because he "zapped" it. Interesting. Let's see if this one gets posted.

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
Lol. The whole thread seems kinda "trollish" to me (waits for definition of troll):D but for some reason it's these threads that catch my eye. Like a train wreck, I have to watch, at the very least to see what Joe deletes. :popcorn

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Reading the original post, it sounded like he DID think about what he wrote, probably several times. And still submitted it. Was not a damn thing wrong with what he said, and he stated it was somewhat of a rant and when he was finished that he felt better. Your tone was almost threatening.... with no reason why you were so offended.
If you are on the internet.... on public forums... you better be prepared for different opinions and perspectives than your own.

Have a nice day.

TPadden

Tom Padden
According to Wikipedia, "flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction.....apparently rose to the level of "flaming" in Joe's mind because he "zapped" it. Interesting. Let's see if this one gets posted.
Counselor,

Flaming is just one reason Joe resorts to zapping; contempt of court is another, as well as plain old personal antipathy.

Tom

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
FYI, Here is a copy and paste from the NPS site. Anyone showing up at a national park and not knowing the cost did not do their homework.

Entrance Fees:

Yellowstone (private, non-commercial vehicle) - $30.00
7-day pass for Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone (motorcycle or snowmobile) - $25.00
7-day pass for Yellowstone National Park. Snowmobile entry limited to guided tours or permit holders.

Yellowstone (individual) - $15.00
7-day pass for Yellowstone National Park (per-person, 16 and older)

Yellowstone (non-commercial vehicle with capacity of 16+ people) - $15.00
7-day pass for Yellowstone National Park (per-person, 16 and older). Examples of non-commercial groups include church groups and scouts.

Yellowstone & Grand Teton (private, non-commercial vehicle) - $50.00
7-day pass for Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks

Yellowstone & Grand Teton (motorcycle) - $40.00
7-day pass for Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks

Yellowstone & Grand Teton (individual) - $20.00
7-day pass for Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks (per-person, 16 and older)

Yellowstone & Grand Teton (non-commercial vehicle with capacity of 16+ people) - $20.00
7-day pass for Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks (per-person, 16 and older). Examples of non-commercial groups include church groups and scouts.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The only thing that should be deleted is the $10 for life senior pass.

How is that even allowed? Do seniors not take up as much room as younger folk? Are their cars smaller? Are they moving so slow they become part of the scenery?

More infrastructure to accommodate the crowds costs more money. With folks living longer and staying more active in the Golden years it is not very good math.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300

How is that even allowed? Do seniors not take up as much room as younger folk? Are their cars smaller? Are they moving so slow they become part of the scenery?

More infrastructure to accommodate the crowds costs more money. With folks living longer and staying more active in the Golden years it is not very good math.
Most seniors I have seen, during the summer months anyway, have had at least one grandchild with them. Introducing new park users to the outdoors...something parents don't always do. It's an investment.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
For a Canadian to complain about the fees of our National Parks on a motorcycle forum makes about as much sense as me complaining to Canadians that they don't put ice in their soft drinks.......move on.
We always put ice in our soft drinks and we draw the water from your side of the great lakes. :p:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Thought I'd add, here's a very specific way National Parks are ripping the public off: They are turning administration over to other entities even though manned by Federal employees (Rangers, etc.). Pikes Peak, entirely within the Pikes National Forest, as one example, does not accept National Park Passes as it is "administratively" run by the City of Colorado Springs.....

Bike
R1200rt

I resemble that remark!!!

Bike
R1200rt
Most seniors I have seen, during the summer months anyway, have had at least one grandchild with them. Introducing new park users to the outdoors...something parents don't always do. It's an investment.
At least with the seniors there the park won't have to clean up the mess that is usually left by millennials !!!!

Top Bottom