Rode ST Today

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I keep seeing all of these cheap STs and think at times that I might need a good winter bike. Honda or Russellville has a 2010 with 6800 miles on it that is bone stock except for a RAM mount on the handle bar. I stopped by there today and gave it spin since I haven't ridden one in quite a while, especially a stock one. I traded mine in in March of 2012 so I have pretty much forgotten what it is like.

Obvious things first:
It's heavy....really heavy. And yes, most of the weight disappears when rolling until you want to throw it into a corner then it gets heavy again.

Motor is terrific. Roll on throttle is nice and smooth and powerful. Forgot how well I liked that motor

Smooth rolling down the interstate.

Now the surprises or things that I didn't remember:

Wind management sucks. The wind screen was stock just like mine on my 07 but I don't remember it being that loud. My RT, Tenere and Versys had/have quieter wind screens than that.

Felt cumbersome in the twisties. I guess I'm used to tossing around the little Versys which is effortless. I'm pretty sure I move through corners much faster on the 650 than I ever did on the ST.

Gets blown around on the interstate more than any other bike I've owned. It was fairly windy here today and I could tell it more than usual.

The dash sucks. I had forgotten how difficult the display is to read, especially when wearing a hi-vis jacket on a bright sunny day.

I was having a good ride until an old man started to pull out in front of me and I used both brakes.......after which I couldn't move because the rear brake was dragging. I came to a stop and rolled backwards and it freed up. I rode back to the dealership without using the rear pedal and I didn't have any more problems. I really wanted to ride it more but didn't want the risk. I informed my salesman about the problem and he pushed it to the garage.

Ultimately, I was left with a blah feeling after riding the bike. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a good bike but the thought of getting one comfortable to tour on again seems too daunting of a challenge. It seems really, really dated after owning four new bikes after I owned the ST.

I don't have a need for a sport-touring bike as my Versys is serving me quite well and is much more fun on twisty roads......... and quite comfortable on the interstate too. Just thought I'd give an ST a try again. I will admit that by riding it makes me wish even more that Honda hadn't ignored this segment of motorcycling. The ST is still not bad for a 14 year old bike......just think of what it could be if we were on our third generation of ST 1300s right now........kinda sad.

Just ramblings of a previous ST owner four years removed from ownership.
Mike

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Felt cumbersome in the twisties. I guess I'm used to tossing around the little Versys which is effortless. I'm pretty sure I move through corners much faster on the 650 than I ever did on the ST.
OH MY! I recall chasing your '07 through the Ozarks a few revolutions-around-the-sun ago. You didn't seem too intimidated by the weight then. Hate ta think what chasing you on that 650 would be like! Well, likely, I wouldn't be chasing for long. I would be in the lead again. Isn't that where you are by default when no one is in front of you (same when they are so FAR in front of you that ya can't see'em any more...)?????

Ultimately, I was left with a blah feeling after riding the bike. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is a good bike but the thought of getting one comfortable to tour on again seems too daunting of a challenge. It seems really, really dated after owning four new bikes after I owned the ST.
...and I'm still turning a few miles on my ST1100. Gotta admit, I have had the itch for a while now, but no scratch. :-0

I don't have a need for a sport-touring bike as my Versys is serving me quite well and is much more fun on twisty roads......... and quite comfortable on the interstate too. Just thought I'd give an ST a try again. I will admit that by riding it makes me wish even more that Honda hadn't ignored this segment of motorcycling. The ST is still not bad for a 14 year old bike......just think of what it could be if we were on our third generation of ST 1300s right now........kinda sad.

Just ramblings of a previous ST owner four years removed from ownership.
Mike
My primary interest in a "new" bike is the FJR, but I confess your commentary on this latest love affair of yours with the new Versys has piqued my curiosity. Prior gen Versys really did not resonate with me aesthetically, but I like the new one - and I like what I am reading from riders about them.

However.... guess I'm going to have to invest in some Absorbine Jr to cure this itch, because I fear scratching it any time soon will just leave me bleeding and raw! Ha!

- kbt

OP
OP

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Keith........"lead again"......our memories of that day of riding are quite different :) If I avoided any straight stretches of road I would stay in front of you. Yes, you could blow by me on a straight with an ST.......just have to stay in the curves. It's been too long my friend.

The prior generations of the Versys didn't do anything for me either. I knew they were good bikes but I guess I wasn't attracted to the looks of the bike and never pursued it further. It was the new updated version that got me looking and all of the great reviews that really got me curious.

Not saying the ST is a bad bike at all. Just don't think it will find a place in my garage any time soon. Guess that leaves me dreaming about adding a Street Triple or XSR 900 to the stable.
Mike

Tidrick

Keith B. Tidrick
Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
STOC #
Keith........"lead again"......our memories of that day of riding are quite different :)
Trying to be brief-ish failed me again. You would be so far in front of me I might as well be riding alone - thus "in the lead" (with no one following...). Ha!

You ride well, my friend.

Bob and I had a few moments of reminiscing during our AR run late June. Too bad schedules didn't cooperate. Would love to make the Mena run in Sept but - again, uncooperative schedules.

- kbt

Bike
07 ST1300
I have found that test driving used bikes at dealerships is pot luck as far as prep goes. This bike most likely had low air pressure in the tires. My 07 does doesnt like dirty air from trucks but it's very light through the twisties. Effortless. But there is that weight. No getting around that.

Bike
2006 ST1300pa
I believe I recognize the "symptoms," but my results were different. I sold my first ST ('04) and even threw in all of my spare ST parts with the sale as I am not the kind to double-back on life's trail... BUT, I kept seeing the ST's used by the local PD and that Jetson-whirl kept whispering in my ear. I tried to ignore it, but the pull was strong. I decided that the best medicine would be a different brand of whiskey and I walked into a BMW dealership with every intention of purchasing a R1200rt-p. Then, I saw her. An '06 ST in traditional black/white enforcement livery. Solo saddle with accessible radio box. I too went on a test ride, but thankfully no old farts pulled out in front of me. Long story short---I passed on the '09 Bimmer and went home with another ST. I still want to add an rt-p to the garage (and will do so next year), but I do not believe I will ever be without an ST---they just feel right to me.

st1300doug

My '06 with 68K+ miles....flawless.Best bike I have ever owned of 12 bikes purchased. SO.......what else do I say!! Shrug..............

Bike
VStrom 650
Bug.....
You are right of course the ST's are a big old lump but you wouldn't get me touring Europe on a Versys two up and loaded to the gunnels. It's horses for courses me thinks. Of course they did replace the 1300 with the Vfr 1200 but they forgot the old formula of giving customers what they want. Although i was speaking to an old Dutch gent in Germany this year who owns a ST1300 and a Vfr1200 and he was raving about the Vfr but not for two up riding. The ST's are old in design now and show it at times but for the money, pound for pound they are hard to beat. To prove the point I bought an 1100 3 years ago, have put 12000 miles on the clock visiting most of Europe and could get my money back if I sold it tomorrow.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom