The Brake Away curies control on a ST1100

Hello Out there : I would like to know is any one had any experience with the Brake Away curies control on the st1100 . My question is dose it install easily with out cutting away any plastic on the handle bars as well how is the overall performance of this part. Thank you
All the Best
Sleo

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
I have a Breakaway on my 1300. I highly recommend it.

It was an easy install on this bike...no grip cutting.

I like how it engages/disengages. I also like how I can adjust it while keeping it engaged.

OP
OP
Thank you John This was a big help in the research on this type of curies control . Some one talked about the Audiovox curies control system ,I looked up and it seems pretty complicated I am sure its worth it but I just don't think I am up for taking the bike apart to install it . I probable go with the brake away ,the people who owned one seem to like it . Thank you again for getting back to me on this .
All the Best
Sleo

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have had the Brake away on the ST1100 and the ST1300. I think it works great for what it is. For me the main reason I use Brake Away is because of the brake level and thumb release. For me it is a safety issue. Locking the throttle without a quick release just doesn't cut it for me. I thought that the install was a breeze for both bikes. I don't think you can use the Brake away if you have heated grips.

After the initial install I found that on the ST1100 it was much easier to fine tune throttle operation and setting the disengage functions both on the brake lever and thumb release. I find that the ST1300 it is a bit of a pain to get things right.

Bike
09 ST1300
You can use breakaway on heated grips .. the issue is that Breakaway won't support/endorse that. Their concern is the cables for the heated grips "might/could" interfere with the operation of the breakaway unit. I used on a previous bike that way .. and obviously the rider needs to confirm the the unit is functioning properly .. Rider assumes the risk of using the product this way .. But it does work.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: The BrakeAway cruise control on a ST1100

The BrakeAway is a beautiful and functional farkle but to be clear, it is a throttle lock not an actual cruise control.

For the same price as the Brakeaway you can have a real cruise control on your ST1100 from Murfs's Kits: http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=422

And here's the step-by to install one (yes, I documented mine) on an ST1100: http://www.st-riders.net/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=33&page=1&sort=ta

Just pointing out the options. FWIW YMMV

Edit: I have an AudioVox cruise control, VistaCruise throttle lock, and an original (non-Velcro!) Throttle Rocker on my ST1100 and use all three on every ride!

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom