To "P" or not to "P"... that is my question...

STOC #
So I have always liked White vehicles (mostly with Black accents), and I've owned so many that it's kind of become a trademark color combo for me.

I've become enamored with a 2009 ST1300PA (Police Version with ABS) that I've found on Craigslist.
If any of you remember or saw my first post, you know I've been at this crossroads before with another find.
(Ended up buying a GREAT 1996 Honda PC800 instead, but I'm still looking for more performance).

Some have mentioned that owning a White/Black ST that resembles a police bike is an advantage (parting the sea's so-to-speak - when people see you coming).
Then again... a previous owner also said that it is a burden as well, because all the traffic around you seems to slow down to 5-10 under the speed limit.

So I was wondering if anyone out there might share their White/Black "Police" version experience or opinions?

Thanx in advance,
Jim

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Go for it. You will have a good time! My bike is all black but when I put large oval red reflectors on the outside edges of the saddle bags I noticed that no one would pass me. Since then I have added extra lights for safety. Now I get the parting of the sea and no one will tail gate me.. The trick that I have learned on the Freeway is to just go 5 mph over the limit. Those who see you will drop to the limit. Those who are ahead of you are doing 10 mph over the limit and will pull away. After a bit you will be in your own bubble on the freeway. The only one who does pass me is the same CHP bike every few weeks. He waves as he goes by splitting lanes at 80+....

Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
I definitely have folks move over, slow down, and if I'm parked on or near the shoulder they hit their brakes hard. I have a modulating headlight and the combination of that with the white and black bike pretty much always parts traffic for me.

Attachments

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
I definitely have folks move over, slow down, and if I'm parked on or near the shoulder they hit their brakes hard. I have a modulating headlight and the combination of that with the white and black bike pretty much always parts traffic for me.
But you've never seen it as a problem or nuisance?
(Beautiful bike by the way. I was recently bidding on an ST1100 very similar, but let it get away... I'm searching for the 1300 instead).

Found this one, perfectly outfitted, but it's 880 miles North of me:

2009 St1300.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
White makes a nice looking bike! Now if you ride this in California, it will make lane splitting unnecessary (or easier).

Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
I just sold my ST1100P. If I could have found a decent 1300P that was reasonably priced I would have purchased one. While owning the P model I certainly noticed that people do tend to slow down around you. I noticed it more while riding in the city than I did on the highway. Although sometimes a pain in the backside I would generally say it was a good thing. More than anything I liked the white color. If that is your color of choice and you've found a decent model that isn't beat up, Id pull the trigger and get it. Good luck!

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
... Although sometimes a pain in the backside I would generally say it was a good thing. ... If that is your color of choice and you've found a decent model that isn't beat up, Id pull the trigger and get it. Good luck!
Yup. That's what I wanted to hear!
Thanx.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You may want to speak to a couple motor officers first.
Is filtering through traffic and posing like a LEO worth the risk of some unhappy person who is on parole or probation running you down or off the road with his Buick?
I know a couple folks who purchased Kawasaki kz1000's from an auction for the very same reason you sound like you want one, and after a couple cases of road rage, they both sold them!
With all the tension going on with police officers getting ambushed and killed, do you really want to pretend to look like one on two wheels?

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
You may want to speak to a couple motor officers first.
Is filtering through traffic and posing like a LEO worth the risk of some unhappy person who is on parole or probation running you down or off the road with his Buick?
I know a couple folks who purchased Kawasaki kz1000's from an auction for the very same reason you sound like you want one, and after a couple cases of road rage, they both sold them!
With all the tension going on with police officers getting ambushed and killed, do you really want to pretend to look like one on two wheels?
Good points. Not trying to pose however, just wondered what the unintended effect would be.
In my profession, I work with dozens of LEO's in both local PD and CHP. Posing is not the reason I want one.
I'd buy a White ST1300 from Honda, even if it wasn't a "P" model - it just seems to be the only way to get one.

Past/present vehicles:
smart fortwo- White/Black
Ford F350 - White/Black
Corvette (x2) - White/White
Mitsubishi GT3000 - White/Black
T-Bird - White/Black
Chrysler Sebring - White/Black
Lincoln Town Car - White/Black

Like I said... it's like a trademark color for me. :)

I will take your advice however, and have a talk with the guys I know.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Most the LEO's I know, CHP, PD, SO, DPS, etc. All try to not look like officers for reasons stated in prior comment.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I too bought all white vehicles but for thermal reasons and better night time visibility.

If you are having a hard time finding a "P" model in decent shape then get a black one and paint what you want white or find some white plastic parts.... then you will have your black and white bike....

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
...If you are having a hard time finding a "P" model in decent shape then get a black one and paint what you want white or find some white plastic parts.... then you will have your black and white bike....
I've actually given this some thought... I may take a ride/drive up to Petaluma this weekend and check out a Black 2006 that has a reasonable price and a motivated seller on Craigslist.
I would have to get a really great deal though, before dumping several hundred dollars into White paint or bodywork after the purchase.

Just thinkin' out loud.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think the current ST1300P looks like this from the factory:

hbhonda-policebike.jpg

I prefer all white. If Honda had sold the STa in white I'd own one. The wallet doesn't support having mine painted. I'd have one in yellow too.

Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
My 2006 St1300 P is a great bike. I just completed a 5500 mile tour and again did not have any issues with anyone or anyplace. The bike is more visible being white and that is my main goal to be seen. As far as people slowing down yea they do and thats ok with me since i know there watching me and that is a good thing. Again they can see me.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
I think the current ST1300P looks like this from the factory:

hbhonda-policebike.jpg

I prefer all white. If Honda had sold the STa in white I'd own one. The wallet doesn't support having mine painted. I'd have one in yellow too.
That's sweet looking. Where do I place my order? :)
I think I prefer the lower fairing to be white also. I've seen a few with the black front fender, but I think I prefer white there too.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
The bike for sale in Washington has an interesting "Rear Seat Delete" option that is a hinged box (presumably where the radio and electronics go). I like that much better than that reverse-dolphin-nose looking thing that most P bikes have. I believe he has attached a helmet lock to it as well.

Rear.jpg

R Side.jpg

Top Bottom