To "P" or not to "P"... that is my question...

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
This was my very first farkel. I researched putting on a light but the wiring would be sloppy so I just went with a simple reflector. That was 70,000 miles ago. The other stuff got added much later. My stock Black ST1300 with these plastic oval red reflectors immediately caused Black&White fever every time I got on the freeway....

P1050140x.JPG

;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Dang.
Sold.
I even offered to pay the guy his full asking price if he could sit on it for me until I could get to Seattle.
Dang.

Still on the look-out.
Thanx for everyone's input.

(Maybe I'll take a ride up to Petaluma this weekend and see if I can warm up to that black one - Ugh).

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Well, well, well... Looks like I'm the new owner of a 2003 ST1100P.
It was an eBay auction that I bowed out of, but the high bidder flaked.
We've made a deal and I'll be heading down to Los Angeles to pick it up on Saturday.

ST1100 1.jpg
29k miles and in pretty good shape as far as I can tell.
Worth a try anyway... if I don't like it, I should be able to upgrade to the ST1300 easy enough, I got a pretty good deal.
:)

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nice work! I love my 1300 but I really like the look of the 1100. Safe travels and remember: plenty of pics or it didn't happen! Congratulations!

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Nice work! I love my 1300 but I really like the look of the 1100. Safe travels and remember: plenty of pics or it didn't happen! Congratulations!
Thanx. I was on the fence between the ST1100 and ST1300... I really like the idea of fuel injection vs. carbs, and I love the idea of an electrically adjustable windscreen, but you're right... it's the "look" of the 1100 that gets me.
That rectangular headlight lens of the 1100 looks more like my red Pacific Coast too. (LED farkles, here I come).
Twice the cylinders as my PC800 and more CC's than my smart car!!! Wooohooo... I'm looking forward to that.

I'll take some more pics when I get it home and in the stable, but here are a few from the expired eBay listing:

s-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (8).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg

Haven't seen it in person yet, but I'm pretty comfortable with the purchase. There are a few nicks and scratches here and there, but the parts are still easily available, unlike my PC800.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanx. I was on the fence between the ST1100 and ST1300... I really like the idea of fuel injection vs. carbs, and I love the idea of an electrically adjustable windscreen, but you're right... it's the "look" of the 1100 that gets me.
Lots of discussion on the ST11 vs the ST13. When I wrecked my ST11, I considered the 13 but I got another 11. I like the carbs better than FI and I like the overall smother feel of the 11, at least for me. I do miss the electric windscreen of the 13 but that's about it. The 13 is a bit quicker but I don't much care about that... the 11 is generally faster than I am. ;) GLWSearch.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've always liked the look of the rectangular headlight and it's mirrored by the turn signal lenses. BTW- somebody had some clear lenses manufactured for the 1100 and it really updates the look. That mod requires switchback LED bulbs. A very nice farkle if that look appeals to you.

The carb do make fine low-end throttle control very easy as I understand it. A few of us have gone to modding the throttle (replacing the throttle tube or modding the factory tube) to tame the FI snatchy nature. Others learn to control it (which took more patience than I have).

Great pics at least to start with! :grin: Looking forward to your progress as you refresh it!

JMartin said:
the parts are still easily available, unlike my PC800.
It's a shame that. The PC800 was a little ahead of its time. With it's smaller footprint I could see it being a great around-town errand bike as well as a lower-speed tourer. I do have multi-bike envy!

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
... the 11 is generally faster than I am.
Yeah, well... I already drive a smart car... so there is much, that is faster than I am. :)

I've done a little reading on the ST11 vs. ST13 and found many people that prefer the ST1100 for various reasons. I think that my main concern is going to be riding position and comfort. Many say that the ST1300 is a bit sportier and you set less upright than the ST1100. I hope that is the case. Years ago (many, many years ago), I was deciding between the VR750F and the CBR1000, I chose the 1000 because I didn't like the leaned-forward sportier position on the 750, and it was a good choice in hindsight. Now that I'm 55 and getting back into motorcycling, the first street bike I purchased was the Honda Pacific Coast... the most upright riding position since my TransAlp, and I love it. I expect the ST1100 will feel similar to the PC800, just with a bit more "oomph" in it.

And now that I've been spoiled with a full-on "Trunk," I'll never ride without storage again! :)

vp4635517_9_large.jpg

Just have to remember which side I put things in now.

s-l1600 (17).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
I... BTW- somebody had some clear lenses manufactured for the 1100 and it really updates the look. That mod requires switchback LED bulbs. A very nice farkle if that look appeals to you.
OOOOooooooohhhhh..... That sounds like a must! I'll have to do some searching. [Edit: Search results for thread about Clear Turn Lenses on ST1100 - Gotta do this!]

I found a guy on Craigslist in Concord selling what he thought was a 1996 PC800 (turned out to be a 1989 - but he was clueless) for $950... he said it was in great shape and only needed a battery. He didn't have any way to take pictures, but for the price, I had to go look. 100 mile drive later, I find myself standing in a dusty old barn talking to a guy who's shoes didn't even match, and the bike was a pile. Mirror was hanging off, seat was recovered by a kid with a staple-gun fetish, couldn't see through the windscreen, trunk opened and closed "sideways" (that's the best way I can describe it). I was so pissed-off that I didn't even insult him with a half-price offer... I just turned around and left. It wasn't even a good parts bike. Ugh.

I noticed you are in the bay area... hope we meet up sometime.
(I'm a decent guy... and... my shoes match) :)

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I think that my main concern is going to be riding position and comfort. Many say that the ST1300 is a bit sportier and you set less upright than the ST1100. I hope that is the case. Years ago (many, many years ago), I was deciding between the VR750F and the CBR1000, I chose the 1000 because I didn't like the leaned-forward sportier position on the 750, and it was a good choice in hindsight. Now that I'm getting back into motorcycling, the first street bike I purchased was the Honda Pacific Coast... the most upright riding position since my TransAlp, and I love it. I expect the ST1100 will feel similar to the PC800, just with a bit more "oomph" in it.
For kicks, you might try this site to see the difference between the ST11, ST13 and PC800.

http://cycle-ergo.com

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
For kicks, you might try this site to see the difference between the ST11, ST13 and PC800.

http://cycle-ergo.com
What an awesome site. in just a few seconds I added all three bikes... and I'm a bit surprised by the results.
This site suggests that the ST1100 has more "forward lean" than the ST1300.
But I'm not at all surprised in the specs for the Pacific Coast. They are so neutral that you would think you were sitting in a chair at the dinner table.

Thank you very, very much for that link.
I'm also going to use it to prove to my best friend (who rode with me years ago, and is a bit shorter than most), that he can handle riding either of my bikes. :)

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
paulcb said:
Wow that is an awesome site. My two favorite bikes: V65 Saber and GL1000 have my favorite riding ergos. Same as the PC800.

I'll have to get the specs of the Helibar Gen 3.2 riser and see how that compares. It feels pretty close to what I remember of the V65 and GL. Thanks for the link!

Addendum: My Gen 3.2 (Tour Performance) Helibar risers give me the same egos as my V65 and GL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
G'Night all... I've got to get up at 3:00am and head down to Los Angeles to pick up the new bike.
I'll post an update sometime tomorrow afternoon (and update my "Bike:" status in my profile).

Wooohooo.... (don't know how I am going to get any sleep) :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
It's Home!

Exactly 10 hours from Home to LA to Home, and 590 miles (that's an average of 59 MPH for those of you doing the math - and that includes Breakfast at Black Bear Diner, the transaction time, and Lunch at Carls Jr).
Gotta love Interstate 5!

Here ya go... proof:

Home 1.jpgHome 2.jpgHome 3.jpgHome 4.jpgHome 5.jpgHome 6.jpg

The paint is a little rough in spots, (nothing a bottle of Shasta White touch-up won't fix - it is 13 years old) and I need to replace both Plastic Engine Guard Covers (about $30 a piece and still available).
But other than that, I'm pleased as punch, for only $2000, 10 hours of my Saturday, and $150 in fuel for the truck.
And speaking of punch... voom, voom... it's the definitely got the punch that my PC800 is missing.
Rides great, shifts great, everything appears to work... except the horn. But I'll track that down shortly (pun intended). :)
It's on Non-Op at the moment and has no plates, which is one of the reasons I didn't ride it back.
And yes... I've checked with DMV, there are no back-fees or penalties due.

Looking forward to a Farkle-fest soon.

Jim

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Looking forward to a Farkle-fest soon.
If you've ever heard the ST's factory horn (think Roadrunner's "meep meep") horns will be on that farkle list.

Addendum: I wonder if the MIA horn is a function of the bike being a P. In full regalia it would have been using an electronic air horn most likely. Now that's a farkle I'd like to have.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've been looking over all your pics. Looks great and the 1100 looks even better in white!

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Congrats! Hope to see you at a STOC sometime.

Top Bottom