To "P" or not to "P"... that is my question...

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
I've been looking over all your pics. Looks great and the 1100 looks even better in white!
Thanx, I'm pretty happy with it.

One thing I need to do right away (besides taking it out of non-op, getting it in my name and putting plates on it), is replace the two Engine Guard Covers... the exact replacements (for the P Bike) have three holes in the top for Police related farkles, but I don't intend to have any, so I',m wondering if the standard covers for the 2002 model year would work in place of the 2003 P model ones. I don't see why not, and if I do decide to take advantage of the existing bolts underneath for some lights or something, I can always drill my own hole (and grommet it, like I did on the PC) instead of the three-hole Swiss-cheese effect from the factory.

PC800 Light Mount.jpg

Thoughts?

[Edit: yeah, the PC800 does the "meep meep" thing]

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Congrats! Hope to see you at a STOC sometime.
I see something coming up in Carmel Valley in September... just a dinner ride it sounds like, but I definitely plan to attend that.
I've ridden there a few times, taking the back route from Airline Highway in Hollister (which is in my backyard... literally), through the Pinnacles, out to King City, up the 101, and then West on the back entrance to Carmel Valley.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I',m wondering if the standard covers for the 2002 model year would work in place of the 2003 P model ones.
Nice find,, barely broken in! :cool:

I don't recall shape/design of those -MZ9- crash-bars right away (they've additional mounting plates on top), so check first if the RHS crash-bar has that "tow-hitch" loom protruding on the underside; if not, seek for pre '95 covers (-MT3- in the P/N); if yes any '96 onward part (-MAJ-) will fit.
(I purposely replaced that crash-bar and cover on my '00 for the, IMHO more streamlined looking predecessor version without the wire loom... otherwise I would have had a beemer-badge dangling from it... ;-) )

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
... check first if the RHS crash-bar has that "tow-hitch" loom protruding on the underside; if not, seek for pre '95 covers (-MT3- in the P/N); if yes any '96 onward part (-MAJ-) will fit.
(I purposely replaced that crash-bar and cover on my '00 for the, IMHO more streamlined looking predecessor version without the wire loom... otherwise I would have had a beemer-badge dangling from it... ;-) )
Without going out to the shop to look, I think I've seen what you are referring to... on my bike there is nothing exposed out of the bottom of either cover - only the three holes in the top. I have seen the ones with the slot that allows access to something underside (this must be the -MAJ- that you mention)... I was wondering what that was. But you say that the earlier part (-MT3-) is the one I want? According to the images on Partzilla, they appear to have an entirely different shape (the images below are supposedly both Right-Side Covers). The latter image (-MT3-) has a similar shape to the ones on my PC800, with the bulk of the cover "leading" the part, but the other one (-MAJ-) has the bulk of the cover "trailing" the part (if these are indeed both images of the Right Side Cover), no?

I'll pop my actual RHS Cover off and post a picture here later today.

MAJ.jpg MT3.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I have seen the ones with the slot that allows access to something underside (this must be the -MAJ- that you mention)... I was wondering what that was.
Yep, that slot exposes the steel loom on the crash-bar to "lock & chain" the bike to a post or similar (like such would do anything...); only implemented on post '96 "civil" models, never on the P-spec though ;-)
You will need P/N 64260-MT3-000ZA cover R, and P/N 64261-MT3-000ZA cover L.
Don't get fooled by the pics you'd posted, different perspective plus the right one is shown upside down, but actually the one you require.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Yep, that slot exposes the steel loom on the crash-bar to "lock & chain" the bike to a post or similar (like such would do anything...); only implemented on post '96 "civil" models, never on the P-spec though ;-)
Don't get fooled by the pics you'd posted, different perspective plus the right one is shown upside down, but actually the one you require.
Excellent.
I did notice that the part that I need for my 2003 ST1100P also says that it fits the pre-96 bikes and none in-between, just like you said.
Thanx.

[Edit: Ordered, Partzilla]

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Spent some time today clearing out the garage (two trips to the dump - and moved the pool table out of the way - it's on Craigslist now).

Space.jpg

The kids and I put our heads together and came up with some names for the bikes (since that seems to be a theme around here).

PC800 = Big Red
ST1100 = White Out
Nighthawk 250 = Darkwing Duck (a favorite cartoon of my daughters)

Darkwing Duck.jpg

Gotta figure out how to get this into decal format for her bike.

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #
Wow white white white.
Me too
What kind of truck is that with all those doors?

It's Home!

Exactly 10 hours from Home to LA to Home, and 590 miles (that's an average of 59 MPH for those of you doing the math - and that includes Breakfast at Black Bear Diner, the transaction time, and Lunch at Carls Jr).
Gotta love Interstate 5!

Here ya go... proof:

Home 1.jpgHome 2.jpgHome 3.jpgHome 4.jpgHome 5.jpgHome 6.jpg

The paint is a little rough in spots, (nothing a bottle of Shasta White touch-up won't fix - it is 13 years old) and I need to replace both Plastic Engine Guard Covers (about $30 a piece and still available).
But other than that, I'm pleased as punch, for only $2000, 10 hours of my Saturday, and $150 in fuel for the truck.
And speaking of punch... voom, voom... it's the definitely got the punch that my PC800 is missing.
Rides great, shifts great, everything appears to work... except the horn. But I'll track that down shortly (pun intended). :)
It's on Non-Op at the moment and has no plates, which is one of the reasons I didn't ride it back.
And yes... I've checked with DMV, there are no back-fees or penalties due.

Looking forward to a Farkle-fest soon.

Jim

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
You sir, have a beautiful white bike (just checked out your gallery).

The truck is a 2000 F350 Crew Cab with a Royal Truck Sport Body (9 foot bed that matches the contour of the truck). The bed alone weighs 1150 Lbs.
I bought it new 16 years ago, and they don't make the bed anymore. They were making them to match Ford, Dodge and Chevy, but they were very expensive, and I guess they didn't sell well enough to continue.
It's got awesome storage... Two large opposing doors on either side, and the handle over the wheel well is to a drawer that slides out. Each of these are a full 13 inches deep.
Plus the tops of each bed open up (like an old lunch-box lid) for long item storage (Levels, pipes, bars, or other long objects).
If there were a downside to the bed, it's that the inside of the bed, albeit 9 feet long, is exactly 49 inches wide. Perfect for a huge stack of plywood or drywall, but you can't possibly get more than one street bike in there, especially fully dressed.

Jim

Truck Bed.jpg Narrow.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Put the bike up on the lift tonight and pulled a few things off to take a look around.
Fully understand about the covers now... you're absolutely right.

Left Side.jpg Left Side 2.jpg RIght Side.jpg

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have STP envy! No not

It's a good thing I have no room for one. White is a great color for the 1100.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
I'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to figure out what the heck you were talking about...
Then it clicked. Ugh. :confused:

Thanx.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Got the new engine guard covers a couple days ago. They snapped right on and look great.
Thanx again for the info and guidance.

Also ordered up some GL1800 Gold Wing Foot Pegs. I'm told they are a direct fit for the ST1300 and all indications are that they will fit the ST1100 as well.

I've been swapping out some of the old, mismatched nuts and bolt for some nice stainless hex heads, so that things match up and stay shiny.

I took out the OEM air filter and gave it a good cleaning (thanx to some helpful information in another thread).
The tiny Sub-Filter was so brittle that it just disintegrated when I tried to inspect it. So I made a replacement with some breathable Scotch-Brite pad. I've got a ride tomorrow and didn't have time to wait for a factory replacement to be found.

Spent a good deal of time squishing on some Grip-On foam covers. The Grip-Puppies that I put on the PC800 were great and went on much easier. I decided to try a pair of the cheaper Grip-Ons and although the finished product looks and feels the same, they were an absolute bear to put on. We'll see how they compare in longevity.
Yes, I used the soapy water method, but they were so tight that the existing rubber grips began to bunch over themselves. I finally got it though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom