Help Me Stop My Brakes From Stopping

OP
OP
Bike
'07 ST1300
A traumatic process isn't it. You say your brakes are working now so I'm confused as to your asking what is your next step. Are you still having problems? If so I can point you to someone that can definitely help you if you are stuck.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Man...do I feel your pain...I've got an '08, and started having the same problem back in March. Did all you've done, even replaced rear master cylinder...same thing. Took it to Honda, took them 3 months to figure out it was secondary slave cylinder on the front. They thought it was in the ABS and did something to it causing my ABS warning light to continue to flash. Pitiful....my brakes work right now, I guess I do not have ABS though. Check my fuses a while ago, all are good...does anyone have advice on my next step. Thanks...at least I'm riding again.
If you PM me a contact number I will call you on the white courtesy phone and see if I can help you figure things out.
Igofar

The 3 months they had it the owner of the shop said they had over 15 hours of labor in the bike, which should figure to be $1500.00 in labor cost. The service dept. went way beyond being kind to me and only charged me for 2 hours of labor, since all they were doing was trying to figure out the problem. When the owner found out, he said I would have to pay for any more labor on the bike, even though abs was fine when I brought it in. He said pay to have it worked on or he was going to have me to start paying him $25.00 a day storage. Pitiful. That's why I brought it home. It's for sale now...$7000.00 obo....and it's nice.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Hold my beer and watch this :rofl1:

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The ST Whisperer strikes again. You're in good hands with "The Man".
Dang....they drank my beer, and I couldn't assist him over the white courtesy phone....plan B.....start a new thread.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
ABS Brake Help Needed

I am starting this thread to help a brand new member (stanisthestman) see thread in brakes section titled (Help me stop my brakes from braking).
Here's the scoop, this new member had a really bad experience with a local Honda shop, they kept his bike way too long, charged him way too much, and ended up causing more damage to the bike than before it went it.
Here's we he needs help.
They didn't know how to trouble shoot the SMC and while looking for causes (before they replaced the SMC) they screwed around with the ABS sensors and plugs etc.
The mechanic that was "working" (searching for the problem blindly) admitted (on invoice) unplugging something in the ABS system to stop the light from flashing! And it appears it was left unplugged when the bike was removed from the dealership. The bike is not "throwing codes" but rather non-stop blinking! The mechanic is no longer working there, and nobody else knows what he unplugged!
Our friend lives in Alabama, and could sure use some help from any members in the area. I suggested he contact Vinny in George, however, he will be leaving for Florida for the ST event.
Our new member has limited knowledge on mechanical stuff, and sure could use some "hands on help" finding the plug they left unplugged.
Come on folks, how about a group hug here, and see what we can do to help Stan.
Anyone with ABS trouble shooting knowledge would sure help, as well as a service manual that covers 2009 model years. I can't do this over the phone without seeing what has been touched.
Thanks in advance for pulling together to help a friend.
Lets show Stan how great this forum and its members are!
Igofar

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I'll help, if I can. What part of Alabama is he in? My service manual goes to 2010, if that helps. I haven't worked on a ABS model, but pulling the Tupperware and looking for for a unplugged connector doesn't scare me. My 1300 is naked, on the lift table, getting checked out for my trip to FLSTOC/KeyWest next week.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Byron is moving to Kentucky! Contact him (I think he's out here in CA right now). But he and I tore into my 2010 SMC, Rear MC & the rear caliper and rebuilt all three. So he knows how to do it now! ;)

He'll be our (my) lose and Kentucky rider's gain!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I would be happy to assist if you can make it to my place by Sunday afternoon. We will only have a couple of days to deal with the issue... hopefully we won't need that amount of time if it's just a connector issue. If it's mechanical.. as a faulty SMC, then it will take longer unless you have a new SMC or a rebuild kit. Recommend you replace the SMC if you haven't already done so.... they are just a little over $120. PM me if this possible with you. If not this weekend, Monday, Tuesday,... then we can check it after I return from Florida.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
FYI more than one thread on the same issue for the same member is just confusing and not helpful. Dup threads will be merged or deleted. Let's keep all the info for this issue in this thread.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
FYI if you read post #22 you will see why I tried to separate them.
These are two different people and the second person, Stan, commented on the first person, Joe, and from that point on the thread became merged.
I tried to email one of your moderators and explain, but got no response.
The original poster, Joe , bike is now repaired, however Stan still needs the forums assistance.
Sorry for making things confusing.
I was just trying to help.
Larry

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
FYI if you read post #22 you will see why I tried to separate them.
These are two different people and the second person, Stan, commented on the first person, Joe, and from that point on the thread became merged.
I tried to email one of your moderators and explain, but got no response.
The original poster, Joe , bike is now repaired, however Stan still needs the forums assistance.
Sorry for making things confusing.
I was just trying to help.
Larry
Sorry, didn't realize that. Next time a PM works better, much of my email gets pushed to spam. I'll move this back.

Have checked fuses...clips..sensors for metal or dirt...fluid levels...all seems fine...but still flashes. At least I got to ride the bike this afternoon in the turns...thankfully the SMC they replaced stopped the brakes from sticking...it's now just that flashing light that's the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom