Strange Whining Noise - Not Engine...

Hi Everyone

RedBike.jpg DSC_0247 (2).jpg

I've just bought a lovely 2002 ST1100Y, a red one and she's lovely, looks like she's just come out of the Factory. However there is this strange whining noise like a servo pump or something. I thought it was the fuel pump in the tank but the noise isn't coming from the tank, it seems to be coming from under the Turtle at the back - roughly where your stomach flops on to if you've got a Beer Belly. It even does it when the ignition is off!?

Click on the Picture and you'll see where the noise is coming from.

It doesn't seem to do it when the bike is cold first thing in morning but when she's warm it starts doing it and it sounds exactly like a 12v motor or similar. The Bikes performance and running are not affected.

Thanks
Daz

PS I forgot to add that none of my other Pans have done this.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
My guess is the noise you will hear from the fuel tank venting excess pressure when the engine is hot, but that sounds more like a wheezing, or farting sound, to me.

Pop the fuel cap off to relieve the pressure and see if it stops.

OP
OP
Darren C
Yep tried that and it made no difference. It's really wierd because there shouldn't be anything there as its between the main downtube and the carbs and that should be an empty space. I'm going to have to strip some of the plastic off coz it could be the fuel pump has failed and someone has put a homemade contrivance under the 'tank'. Strange thing is if i move the bike or sit on it, wiggle it etc it starts to make the noise for about 15-20 secs or so, I cant tell if it's doing it when the engine is running. I always end up with Bikes and Cars with odd things going wrong lol :)

Bike
1990 Honda ST1100-L
My FJ1200 used to do that and it was air pressure in the fuel tank venting itself. It was like nipping the neck of a balloon when letting the air out just slightly lower pitched

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
That is a weird one! Will be interested to hear what you might find in there. As you likely know, the fuel pump does make a noise briefly upon turning on the key. Check the wiring on top of the fuel tank to see if something looks amiss there too.

OP
OP
Darren C
My FJ1200 used to do that and it was air pressure in the fuel tank venting itself. It was like nipping the neck of a balloon when letting the air out just slightly lower pitched 
I undid the fuel cap as pressure does build up in there esp today as it's 33C HOT!!! Deffo sounds like a little motor like a CD or DVD drive on your PC opening or closing, you get that vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv noise. Does it even when the ignition is off and the key in my pocket, strange bloody thing :)

OP
OP
Darren C
That is a weird one! Will be interested to hear what you might find in there. As you likely know, the fuel pump does make a noise briefly upon turning on the key. Check the wiring on top of the fuel tank to see if something looks amiss there too.
The wiring is all fine and I put my ear to the top and you can hear the fuel pump go on for about 5 seconds when you flip the ignition switch. I had a problem with that on my other Pan, I was coming down the M25 near Dartford and the thing just died on me, gave the pump terminals a wiggle and she was fine, guess they had never been touched in 21 years as all corroded, cleaned them up with switch cleaner and all fine

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...it sounds exactly like a 12v motor or similar. The Bikes performance and running are not affected.
Had the same experience/impression when switching from the '92 model to the current '00 (ST1100Y, same colour, etc...): there is a persistent fine buzz audible...?!
After found it pulsing/changing frequency while in idle with the turn-signal on (changing electrical load), I realized its the VRR on the now air-cooled, thus open alternator... ;-)

Could of course be something completely different on your ride there, especially since you find it with ignition off I would suspect something like ultrasonic device (rodent-repelling) or an un- switched 12 to 5V power supply sitting there...
Remove seat, side panels and false tank and peek into there... an ST shouldn't mewl ;-)

OP
OP
Darren C
There is a 12V 'cigarette lighter' socket on the right hand side that someone put there but it's not that. I'll have to whip the turtle off tomorrow as i'm intrigued by it, hope it's not something horrible as I bought it only yesterday, at least there's a 3 month parts & labour warranty on her

Bike
2010 ST1300
You might get a mechanic's stethoscope and see if you can better localize the source. These things have a long rod attached to the two ear hoses - a cheaper version is called a long screwdriver or steel rod. Put one end of the screwdriver shaft (steel rod) against you ear and touch different parts of the bike when it is making the noise.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
One easy troubleshooting step is to disconnect the battery. If the sound goes away its likely electrical. If it persists without voltage to the bike it is likely mechanical. Or metaphysical! :eek:

OP
OP
Darren C
I don't know what it is, sometimes does it, sometimes it don't, think its paranormal activity lol. I've attached a voltmeter to the 12v lighter socket and it runs at 13.8 to 14.1 with lights on and 14.2 to 14.4 lights off and when all off for a few hours a constant 12.6 so there's no noticeable drain. Just one of those weird little things that's part of owning a Pan lol

Bike
2010 ST1300
Dave has a good point. Nowhere in your posts did you say if the noise is present when the ignition is on or off. As far as I know, there are no motors than will turn on with the ignition off - my old Honda Accord will turn on the radiator fan until the motor cools down (ignition off, car parked). This might point you toward venting pressure or electrics.

Bike
ST1100, 1998 non abs
If you have a short warranty on the bike take it back and ask the dealer to look at it.
Chris

Bike
1993 ST1100
I had something similar on mine. Turns out it was fuel boiling in the carbs. Make sure they are properly vented.

Bike
01 Honda ST1100
Hi Everyone

RedBike.jpg DSC_0247 (2).jpg

I've just bought a lovely 2002 ST1100Y, a red one and she's lovely, looks like she's just come out of the Factory. However there is this strange whining noise like a servo pump or something. I thought it was the fuel pump in the tank but the noise isn't coming from the tank, it seems to be coming from under the Turtle at the back - roughly where your stomach flops on to if you've got a Beer Belly. It even does it when the ignition is off!?

Click on the Picture and you'll see where the noise is coming from.

It doesn't seem to do it when the bike is cold first thing in morning but when she's warm it starts doing it and it sounds exactly like a 12v motor or similar. The Bikes performance and running are not affected.

Thanks
Daz

PS I forgot to add that none of my other Pans have done this.
Had you been able to resolve this issue? I have a similar noise which started today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Had you been able to resolve this issue? I have a similar noise which started today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I think its just the tank venting off positive pressure after riding, that's why you don't experience it when the bike is cold and hasn't been running.

Top Bottom