So I took my '07 to trackday....

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Palmer Motorsports Park, Pamer Mass. 2.2 mile circuit.
A venue from Tony's Track Days here in New England. - No Cops. No Cars. No Limits

Track:

Video: Mind you this was only my second session on the track, the first one was a 40-60 MPH "parade" lap around the track where each rider followed an Instructor or a Ride Controller around the track to familiarize yourself with the line. I took the camera off the bike after that and let my girlfriend use it in her NT700 for her 3rd session and then Colin got it on his ST1300 for the 4th session. By the 5th and 6th, I just wanted to go go go! Hell with the camera.... I should have remounted it.

[video]https://youtu.be/jokSzLyeFYU[/video]

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Looks like a fun day and it looks like you passed up most everyone! Was this with a car tire on back?

OP
OP
nerSTeve

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
The '06 is darkside. The '07 is not. They won't allow darkside on the track.
The red jerseys are the Ride Controllers.

It was a great day to learn ;)

Last edited:

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Looks like you passed pretty much everyone.....on a big ole, fat ST1300!! :) I've never done a track day but it looks like a blast and you had great lines! :bow1:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Was that a PC800 you passed, at the 13:15 mark? Thing needs "Antique Vehicle" plates. If so, good on the owner for giving it a chance to stretch its legs (such as they were). :)

OP
OP
nerSTeve

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Was that a PC800 you passed, at the 13:15 mark? Thing needs "Antique Vehicle" plates. If so, good on the owner for giving it a chance to stretch its legs (such as they were). :)
Sure was. Guy posted up a pretty cool video too.

[video]https://youtu.be/VhCB3RBrssM[/video]
I get my 15 seconds of fame at 4:40. One of the rules for non-sportbike trackday was no passing on the inside. Once the rider in front of you "tips in" to the turn, it's theirs. You either wait, or go around the long way.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Reminds me of what I'd be like on Track Day. No not passing but being passed by everybody! I'd want to be the last off the line so for one lap I could say "hey just like you- nobody passed me!" Maybe!

That looked like a lot of fun!

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Made me dizzy. What kind of speeds are we talking? If I ever mount a round tire again I'd like to try a track day. It looks like fun and I have a lot to learn.

OP
OP
nerSTeve

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Made me dizzy. What kind of speeds are we talking? If I ever mount a round tire again I'd like to try a track day. It looks like fun and I have a lot to learn.
Honestly Ken, no idea how fast I was going. I didn't really have time to look down at the gauges. The one time I did I looked at the RPMs because I wasn't used to running her so hot, we were pegged damn near the 8.5 mark just before the start/finish line, the "straightest" part of this track as there is no straight...

It was just awesome. If you haven't gone square on that FJR yet... you should seriously think about the last two Tony's Track Days of this season.... Sept 4/5 on this track in Palmer Mass which is closer to you, and then Sept 25 in CT at Thompson. It was a real learning experience for me and a hell of a lot of fun too. Did great for building Dede's confidence on that NT700 as well.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Honestly Ken, no idea how fast I was going. I didn't really have time to look down at the gauges. The one time I did I looked at the RPMs because I wasn't used to running her so hot, we were pegged damn near the 8.5 mark just before the start/finish line, the "straightest" part of this track as there is no straight...

It was just awesome. If you haven't gone square on that FJR yet... you should seriously think about the last two Tony's Track Days of this season.... Sept 4/5 on this track in Palmer Mass which is closer to you, and then Sept 25 in CT at Thompson. It was a real learning experience for me and a hell of a lot of fun too. Did great for building Dede's confidence on that NT700 as well.

FJR goes square next week prior to 50CC ride. I suspect they frown on aux fuel tanks too :( Someday I'll get out there!!!

OP
OP
nerSTeve

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
They rent bikes too... but I'm not sure on Aux tanks.

Bike
2005 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
.... The one time I did I looked at the RPMs because I wasn't used to running her so hot, we were pegged damn near the 8.5 mark just before the start/finish line, the "straightest" part of this track as there is no straight...
Well the PC800 was pegged at 82 mph on the telemetry of its video in that "straighter" section, so you were probably doing a bit faster than that... Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

OP
OP
nerSTeve

nerSTeve

Vendor
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
OK I just watched a video of one of the track instructors on a Triumph Street Triple R 675, finish line to finish line he's 1:54

[video]https://youtu.be/nCi1RKwg94Y[/video]

The video I posted of me was the 2nd session, but the 1st was a couple parade laps to get us acquainted with the track. My 2nd lap in of the 2nd session shows 2:11 line to line. So... you do the math. I think I did OK.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I think I did OK.
I was quite impressed watching your video. I thought I could see increased smoothness and confidence as your session progressed. The line became subtly better, braking / downshifting smoother, etc. I'm no expert- my nickname could be "Slow Joe"- but your video was a pleasure to watch.

Top Bottom