How often do you put air in your tires?

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Simple question, how often do you need to put air in your tires? I was originally thinking it would be nice to have a TPMS, but have found that I am putting a few PSI into my tires every 2 weeks or so, thus I decided to simply get a slime 40022 Digital Tire Inflator, so as I check the tires it automatically inflates to my desired 42 PSI.

I was expecting I'd only needed air maybe once a month or every other month type of thing but I guess that either shows my lack of experience or strange thirst my tires have.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I guess it depends.....I have a TPMS which is nice cause you can always monitor your air pressure and see if it drops 1 or 2lbs. I usually always check before a trip and if my bike sits for a week or two I usually check it. If the temperatures change the air pressure usually changes too. So I guess I don't really have a time frame just check it occasional some more than others.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
because of the smaller air volume relative to the rubber surface area, motorcycle tires tend to lose pressure faster than car/truck tires. I don't pay much attention to the actual time elapsed, but every few weeks mine need a few psi to bring them back to normal, so I think what you described sounds about normal.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Every couple of weeks I have to add a pound or two. I do have the TPMS on each tire. I usually add some air above the set point and then unscrew the tpms a time or two briefly until the reading is 42psi. It is usually 38-39 psi when i feel the need to add some air. The rear tire will increase in psi a lot more when riding. The rear tire usually can get up to 46 psi or so when I have been riding a while. The front tire usually only gains a pound or two when riding. Some tire sets I have used seem to be worse than others about losing air. I just adapt to whatever routine is necessary. Good Luck!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It make not make a big/any difference but at the next tire change make sure the rims' bead surfaces are thoroughly cleaned if you don't do so already. "a few pounds every two weeks..." seems a little excessive but maybe not.

thekaz

haz gone feral
I use nitrogen when I change them and do not normally add air between tire changes. I also use the same gauge every time.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Also keep in mind that (a) most consumer pressure gauge aren't lab instruments and will only be accurate to within a few pounds and (b) the pressure in a tire changes by about 1 psi for every 10?F change in ambient temperature.

The manufacturers know this and design accordingly.

--Mark

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Really does depend on temp more than other factors, unless there is a problem. My last rear tire I had to start checking every few days for an unknown reason until I replaced it and found it had a very VERY small spike (size of a sewing pin) poking through causing a little air loss. Other than that I check weekly and only need to add maybe 1- psi per month during summer months. During winter riding I check and adjust any time the temps change much, sometimes every few days or sometimes once a week. When temps change by +/- 10 deg F I do need to adjust up or down. Sometimes the morning temp is in the teens and the go home temps are up in the upper 20s or lower 30s during that time of year so psi gets checked and changed as needed.

I check the pressure about every 8000km. Halfway a tire change
Usually no air is needed.
I change my tires 2-3 times a year.
(Yes, I drive about 40.000 km a year)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
To me, the real value of a TPMS is knowing if something is 'going on' when you are on the road. As was said, temps make a tremendous difference in the tire pressure. If mine are within 3 pounds of the 'preferred' PSI, I call it good and ride.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
My ST tires are just over a year old. I add a little air about once a month. Probably cumulative from checking the pressure each weekend. They may lose air more rapidly as they age also.

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
I ride once a week.

I check the pressure prior to each ride.

I always have to add a a pound or two.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
To me, the real value of a TPMS is knowing if something is 'going on' when you are on the road.
++1 Uncle Phil. TPMS value if you are paying attention is in notifying you of an active problem while riding.

I check my tires every ride. Too important to just assume they are ok. Valve stems issues, punctures and bead issues can sneak up on you. Usually end up adding 2-3 psi every couple of weeks unles I have one of the previously mentioned issues. On a road trip Motorcycle tire problems can be a nightmare. Back when I had bikes with tube tires and heavy tread construction I didn't worry about it as much. If I'm going to be on the road for extended miles I use sealer in the tires.Just don't want the headache.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I check weekly as I usually ride every weekend and a adding a pound or 2 twice a month is routine.

Top Bottom