On the Road Again!....

STOC #
For those of you who haven't seen my posts in the ST 1100 carb section, I've been working on getting my '92 ABS running again after 7 years of sitting with the intention of selling it. However, during the process of going through the carbs and getting the bike running again, I started to have second thoughts and was thinking I'd just keep it and put the extra work back into putting it on the road. Well....I've made my decision. After putting it all back together and going for a 20 minute ride, I've decided to keep it. ('Don't think the wife was all that pleased with the decision, though.)

Even though it was a short ride, I fell right into the old routine, though U-turns were slightly sketchy. The bike ran well enough considering I did not sync or tune the carbs and I may have a vacuum leak as the carb boots are a bit on the hard side. Rolling on the throttle didn't give me the same rush of acceleration as I remember but I'm hoping new boots, a good sync, fresh plugs and air filter and a carb sync and fine tune will take care of that. It also needs new rubber, fresh brake and clutch fluid, fresh coolant, plus new rotors and pads. And the forks need new seals and fluid. Probably time for a valve lash check as well. It was great to be back on the road.

So, I'm capable of doing all the work but I have a question....what rubber should I buy? I was a big fan of Metzler's Z6 Interacts but I hear some are not made in Germany and they are problematic. So, what are you guys running nowadays? And remember, I've got the odd rear size of the 1100's.

Also, since I'm shopping for new rotors, who can you recommend in that department?

Cheers to all!

Martin

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Martin - I'm running a set of Z6s on one of my ST1100s now with no problems so far. With my ABSII ST1100s (front wheel is 120 width like the ST1300), I'm running Pirelli Angle GTs (ST1300 size - jury is still out as far as tire life goes) and have run BT030 GTs (ST1300 size). I've also run Michelin PR3s (ST1300 size) but was kind of underwhelmed when they started cupping prematurely. If you are comfortable running a 120 width tire instead of the 110 on the front and a 170/60 instead of a 160/70 on the rear, then the ST1300 tire selection which is larger is available (done both with no problems at all). I swapped the front rim on my 97 standard over to a ABSII rim (fits fine with no clearance issue with the 120 width) so all three bikes would use the same front tire size. On long trips, I use a BT020 bias for the BMW KLT1200 (same size) and a BT030 radial on the front. Some still like the Exedra Bias which are still available.

Last edited:

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have the Excedra's on my 84 Goldwing and have liked the so far. On my ST1300 and my CBR 1100 I have Michelin Pilot Road 4's better siping for wet conditions.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Exedra guys, not the headache medicine!

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. [hey, 20 years in the Army, accurate noun-nomenclature is important!]

John

Top Bottom