Pirelli Angel GT A Spec

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I am running a set of Angel GT's now. There is not an "A" spec Angel GT available for either the front or rear of an ST (OEM size). So far I have about 2000 miles on them and like them. At this mileage, the Michelin PR4 would be showing signs of cupping and squaring of the front. Hopefully I can get decent mileage out of them because I like how they handle.
Interesting ....the regular GT front in 18" has a higher load rating (59W) than the "A" spec 17"(58W)

I wish there was an "A" spec rear available for the ST because I think it would wear better because of its heavier load rating.
Rod

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
We all make and ride on our own choices when it comes to tires. I liked the Angel GT's design,,, but having the A-spec was mandatory for me. The 180-55zr17 is performing very well, turning in very easily and showing excellent dry grip. No wet experience as yet. Performance handling is better than the stock size Dunlop that it replaced. Durability is yet tbd. BTW,, 180 wide was the most I was willing to go on our 5" wide rear wheel. I am sure the regular spec will run well for owners who mind it's load limits. Cat'

Here's the video link from MSS
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/57073/i/pirelli-angel-gt-sport-touring-a-spec-rear-tire

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
We all make and ride on our own choices when it comes to tires. I liked the Angel GT's design,,, but having the A-spec was mandatory for me. The 180-55zr17 is performing very well, turning in very easily and showing excellent dry grip. No wet experience as yet. Performance handling is better than the stock size Dunlop that it replaced. Durability is yet tbd. BTW,, 180 wide was the most I was willing to go on our 5" wide rear wheel. I am sure the regular spec will run well for owners who mind it's load limits. Cat'

Here's the video link from MSS
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/57073/i/pirelli-angel-gt-sport-touring-a-spec-rear-tire
Cat,
Interesting perspective. Can you enlighten us why the "A" spec is mandatory for you? The load rating difference is 10 kgs. I have run a PR4GT and a Metzler Roadtec 01 in the 180/55 configuration and found the handling a bit 'heavy", for lack of a better term. I guess it goes to show that tires, like oil, is very personal. Like you, I like how the Angels handle and may try the 180 'A" spec next time if it lasts better. Let us know what your mileage is with it (compared to what others you have used).

Rod

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Sure Rod,,, for me the A-spec was a mandatory requirement in the Angel GT model range because they created it for use on heavier Sport Touring bikes. And I wanted the most stability I could buy within that model range. They also created the D-spec for a couple of performance Ducati bikes. I hope that the heavier carcass will be a benefit,, and provide additional safety and performance margins. As for heavier or lighter handling,, I can only compare it to the tire that was on my bike prior.

I will certainly post the mileage results after some time has passed,, but I am only at about 1000km now. I have more mileage on the front tire,,, as I mounted it about 6 weeks ago. Performance on the front has been fine,,, but I am concerned about amount of visible wear left of center. Seems I am having too much fun on our local round-abouts.

I found this series of related video's on the Michelin PR range interesting as well,,, Cat'

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/64930/i/michelin-pilot-road-4-gt-rear-tire

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I got the tire mounted today... I forgot what a joy it is to change a rear tire on the ST1300... :)

It sure looks pretty! :D

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I have the non " A " Pirelli angel gt's on my ST 1300, was told the " A " has a higher load rating but I ride solo so either tire will do. I've got over 12,000 miles on 'em now

Top Bottom